Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 2-Year Service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Coming up on 2 years of ownership in January'20 and 33,000 miles. Wondering if anyone has had the 2-year service and can share what maintenance was performed and/or parts replaced or fixed. My 3 is an early production, VIN 00284X.

What service? Erm...I guess have a brake inspection and check tire tread?
Owners manual says:
Brake fluid health check every 2 years (replace if necessary)
Cabin air filter replacement every 2 years
Clean and lubricate brake calipers every year or 12,500 miles (if in an area where roads are salted during the Winter)

Additionally, for early production units there are odds and ends that Tesla likes to fix. For example, I had my car in for service about 4 months ago for a funky smell out of the A/C and they replaced a several parts that they said were related to being an early VIN.

Owners manual says:
Clean and lubricate brake calipers every year or 12,500 miles (if in an area where roads are salted during the Winter)

Additionally, for early production units there are odds and ends that Tesla likes to fix. For example, I had my car in for service about 4 months ago for a funky smell out of the A/C and they replaced a several parts that they said were related to being an early VIN.

Ah yeah the cabin filter. That’s something you can do yourself.

My recollection was the first PM item to come up was coolant, after 3 years. Where does it say there's a 2 year service?

Edit: Ah, you got it in ahead of me. Thanks. Brake fluid, it's not a bad thing to keep squeaky clean in a vehicle with labyrinthine traction control gizmos.

Brake fluid needs to be done every 2 years max no matter the mileage or how much/little you use you brakes. And like WilliamG mentioned the traction control is brake system heavy. The fluid absorbs moisture. Model 3 has same brake system GM uses. $60 and it’s an easy one person DIY.
Motive Products 0108 Brake System... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000TK9FE8?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Last edited:
Brake fluid needs to be done every 2 years max no matter the mileage or how much/little you use you brakes. And like WilliamG mentioned the traction control is brake system heavy. The fluid absorbs moisture. Model 3 has same brake system GM uses. $60 and it’s an easy one person DIY.
Motive Products 0108 Brake System... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000TK9FE8?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

How difficult or dangerous is it to do it for an average Joe? Anybody did it with Tesla, price or seeing if Tesla mobile can do it?

How difficult or dangerous is it to do it for an average Joe? Anybody did it with Tesla, price or seeing if Tesla mobile can do it?
If you are somewhat handy it’s easy. Only thing to watch is don’t let the reservoir get empty. I do all the PM (and most repairs) on all our vehicles as I enjoy it, that said I can do a brake fluid exchange in 15-20 min. My daughter could do it when she was 10, but I will say she is extremely capable.

If you are somewhat handy it’s easy. Only thing to watch is don’t let the reservoir get empty. I do all the PM (and most repairs) on all our vehicles as I enjoy it, that said I can do a brake fluid exchange in 15-20 min. My daughter could do it when she was 10, but I will say she is extremely capable.

Something to consider for your DIY'ers, you might miss out on the odd and random non-essential fixes that Tesla will sometimes do when your car is in their service center. As I noted above, when my 3 was in for service for a funky A/C smell they had a short list of fixes they wanted to perform. The only one I specifically remember was that they replaced louvers on the front bumper area . They said my early production 3 had inferior ones and they wanted to bring it up to spec. They never reached out to me to say this part should be replaced, it was only when I brought it in that it was mentioned.

The 2 year service doesn't specify to change the brake fluid, just to check and replace if necessary. So even taking it in for a 2 year service doesn't guarantee a swap unless you specify. They may just check and charge you for checking it. It is really a simple procedure to swap fluid and bleed the brakes if you are at all handy.

As for the extra part swaps, when my car went in for clicking axles, they replaced a few things. I'd assume they'd do the same on a 2 year service, so that is a positive on taking it in.

Owners manual says:

You must be reading the out of date paper version of the manual. The online versions shouldn't have that. Scheduled service was dropped many months ago.

So at 2 years it says inspect and exchange as needed. So you can 1. Take a sample of the brake fluid 2. Send to a lab for analysis 3. Wait for results 4. Probably need to exchange 5. If fluid is ok then repeat steps 1-4 in a year. Or just do the exchange every 2 years. I’m guessing Tesla changed the wording because they are anti-service as a selling point. Exchanged out our fluid this fall at 14 months (I was doing our other 3 cars, did Tesla early to get them on the same schedule) and 9k miles, and it was dirty for sure.

• Disagree
  • Love
Reactions: SageBrush and Char
So at 2 years it says inspect and exchange as needed. So you can 1. Take a sample of the brake fluid 2. Send to a lab for analysis 3. Wait for results 4. Probably need to exchange 5. If fluid is ok then repeat steps 1-4 in a year. Or just do the exchange every 2 years. I’m guessing Tesla changed the wording because they are anti-service as a selling point. Exchanged out our fluid this fall at 14 months (I was doing our other 3 cars, did Tesla early to get them on the same schedule) and 9k miles, and it was dirty for sure.

How would brake fluid get dirty? Brake fluid of course is hydrophobic, so that’s usually the reason to check brake fluid - it can absorb moisture. But dirty? Don’t usually see that, as it’s supposed to be a closed system.

How would brake fluid get dirty? Brake fluid of course is hydrophobic, so that’s usually the reason to check brake fluid - it can absorb moisture. But dirty? Don’t usually see that, as it’s supposed to be a closed system.
Dirt works it’s way through the seals. Same way water gets in. Every time I’ve changed it in every car I’ve owned over the last 20-30 years it’s dark brown to black.

Reactions: Phlier
Something to consider for your DIY'ers, you might miss out on the odd and random non-essential fixes that Tesla will sometimes do when your car is in their service center.

Agree on that - Tesla didn't inform me of 2 service bulletins for my car - front trunk latch and pins in charge port. Neither was giving me issues but Tesla was less $ to do a 4 wheel alignment than local places so I did that and they added on (no charge) replacing some small bits

Normally I do most stuff at home except where special equipment is needed like alignments, mounting + balancing tires. Most things on the 3 are otherwise pretty straightforward in the general maintenance category.

Reactions: Falkirk and coleAK

Don't want to take credit. I didn't mention the traction control. :)

So at 2 years it says inspect and exchange as needed. So you can 1. Take a sample of the brake fluid 2. Send to a lab for analysis 3. Wait for results 4. Probably need to exchange 5. If fluid is ok then repeat steps 1-4 in a year.

You just stick a probe in the fluid to read the moisture content and if it's too high then you replace it, the main concern is water as others have mentioned.

Tesla may have canceled the 2 year service but that doesn't mean it's not necessary, it means they've judged it not worth the time/effort (i.e they will take the reactive maintenance that may result by sacrificing the preventive). Whether you and your schedule agree with trading preventive for corrective service is up to you, but i'd try to get them to do some basic work as outlined above.

Checking/replacing brake fluids and lubricating your brake calipers is a great example of something you should have done.