Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 2018(with FSD) vs 2021(without FSD)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found a good deal for the 2018 Model 3 with FSD which has ~29K miles on the meter and is sold for ~$41k. I might be able to spend a bit more and get a brand new 2021 Model 3 for ~$50k but without an FSD. I'd appreciate your views on the pros and cons of both options. For more info, the 2018 model 3 is RWD with 325 miles EPA, and the new one, of course, has 353 miles EPA with some advancements in the battery tech(? guess so based on 175 miles with 15 mins charge). Moreover, I would like to get some insights on the resale value of the car considering the ever-increasing price of FSD.

Thank you!

FSD as of today has only one very useful feature: automatic lane change, initiated by the driver. Without it you need to disengage Autopilot and change lanes. It’s not worth $10k. I paid 6k and that was probably too much.

The dual motor cars are WAY faster than single motor. If you care about acceleration, you Want the new one. Plus range is better in winter due to heat pump.

I found a good deal for the 2018 Model 3 with FSD which has ~29K miles on the meter and is sold for ~$41k. I might be able to spend a bit more and get a brand new 2021 Model 3 for ~$50k but without an FSD. I'd appreciate your views on the pros and cons of both options. For more info, the 2018 model 3 is RWD with 325 miles EPA, and the new one, of course, has 353 miles EPA with some advancements in the battery tech(? guess so based on 175 miles with 15 mins charge). Moreover, I would like to get some insights on the resale value of the car considering the ever-increasing price of FSD.

Thank you!
I would rather get a new one at that price. If it was a stealth I'd take the 2018, but 2 years + 29k miles is easily 10k depreciation. FSD depreciates as well, you have to calculate it's worth for the entirety of the car's lifetime, and you have to calculate what FSD cost then.
If used is an option I would wait a couple of months, 2020 models will likely be on sale, used car prices might go down, actively look or a stealth,or worst case get a new one with upgraded headlights.

If you’re keeping it for more than a couple of years, I’d go with the 2021. Newer pack (more warranty as others have stated) and a little bit more range.

If you’re thinking you’d be in and out of it in the intermediate future, I think it’s a tougher call. The 2018 has already taken a lot of the depreciation hit and it’s cheaper. FSD probably puts the 2018 slightly over the top in this scenario IMO.

Reactions: Jeff Davlt
I’d personally get the new model without FSD. Mainly for the extra 2-3yrs of warranty.

All depends how much you value FSD. The basic autopilot package is fantastic and is good enough for me personally.

FSD as of today has only one very useful feature: automatic lane change, initiated by the driver. Without it you need to disengage Autopilot and change lanes. It’s not worth $10k. I paid 6k and that was probably too much.

The dual motor cars are WAY faster than single motor. If you care about acceleration, you Want the new one. Plus range is better in winter due to heat pump.

Normally the wise thing is to have someone else take the first year depreciation. However these two posts sum it up well. Better range/acceleration/warranty on the new car and how much do you value the the FSD feature. I have 2018 Model 3 with FSD. The incremental price for FSD at the time was I think $2K or $3K (over enhanced autopilot). Added FSD "for fun" (some people find spending money the performance worth it but not me). Our June 2020 Model Y also has FSD for about $3K. I had already experienced Navigate on Autopilot (particularly auto lane change) and liked it well enough to make me want Enhance Auto Pilot (which was not available) so we got FSD for it for $6K (it didn't hurt that TSLA was way up for me). I would have have thought long and hard about it for another $4K

You were indicating a difference of about $9K between the cars, that's not a trivial amount. If the cost was the same the advice would be really simple, get the newer car with FSD. Consider taking FSD out the equation (it will be a bonus if you get the cheaper car). Is the extra range, warranty and acceleration worth $9K to you? Are you expecting to be out of the car before the warranty expires in either case?

Thanks all. Appreciate your responses. I have actually missed stating that the new model 3 2021 with FSD would cost me around ~$60K. So it is almost a ~$20k difference between used 2018 vs new 2021. and yeah, FSD might not serve a great purpose with the current features, but once the auto-steer on city streets is a thing, It would make sense to have it right. any thoughts there?

Reactions: Dre78
...FSD might not serve a great purpose with the current features, but once the auto-steer on city streets is a thing, It would make sense to have it right. any thoughts there?

If you don't have the budget for FSD, it's reasonable to skip it for now.

I think the best feature for FSD, for now, is Auto Lane Change but it's quite too expensive to pay for that feature alone.

People has paid FSD since 2016 but as of now, the majority of us still do not get the limited release of FSD beta as of a few days left for the year 2020, so, if you have budget for FSD, get it, if not, I think it is reasonable to wait for the general release of FSD beta and its maturity first. It took 4 years to get to this point so I don't think waiting for the next 4 years is unreasonable.

• Informative
Reactions: alexgr and Dre78
Thanks all. Appreciate your responses. I have actually missed stating that the new model 3 2021 with FSD would cost me around ~$60K. So it is almost a ~$20k difference between used 2018 vs new 2021. and yeah, FSD might not serve a great purpose with the current features, but once the auto-steer on city streets is a thing, It would make sense to have it right. any thoughts there?

FSD is an interesting gimmick, a toy at this this time. It helped me somewhat during a loooong 3000-mile drive, helps me sometimes to get my car in and out of the garage using Smart Summon, and when I am lazy on city streets it drives me through traffic lights pretty well now. But I would probably pay for it as of now $2k .. maybe $3k extra, not $8k or $10k. With paying for FSD now we make it happen in the future. If you think you have a better use for your resources now, don't spend money on it. By the time the FSD evolves into a real level 5 autonomous driving system our cars will be obsolete.

My DM M3 is 16 months old and today I feel it is OLD because: (1) range is low, the new one has 353 miles; (2) no heat pump; (3) no external speaker, so no boombox for me, can't even fart at ICE cars. These things are practically more important than an FSD in real life now and they are available now on newer cars.

I think the FSD will remain a gimmick (like smart summon) until some time in 2022/23 Tesla can employ their new supercomputer to solve FSD problems.

Reactions: Ol'Blue
Simple answer is we don't know. There's a few people (with YouTube channels) who have the beta so you would have to judge for yourself how much that feature is worth. It's a lot of money for advanced driver assistance, but your money is your business.
How much is a used 2018 without FSD? Would be good to know how much you're paying for it in a used car

The 2018 LR RWD clocks 0-60 in 4.7 seconds. It's about 0.5 seconds slower than the new AWD. So 2021 is faster but not way faster.

Personally I'd go with 2018 with FSD and saves $20k compared to 2021 w/ FSD.