Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 2019 reviews

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Model 3 – 2 years experience

I purchased a 2019 Tesla Model 3 with All Wheel Drive, Long Range Battery, and the Enhanced Autopilot in August of 2019. I sometimes read of Tesla problems, fixes, complaints, geeky tech stuff, and TSLA stock on the Tesla Motor Club weekly posts. I thought that I could post a real-owner 2-year review for any other people hesitant to buy a car with a goofy screen instead of actual buttons.

When picking up my Tesla (in Tempe Arizona) 150 hot miles from here, they suggested that I bring it back in after a year to get it checked out. Then, when calling and trying to arrange said one-year check up, I talked to a Tesla mechanic? who told me that there really wasn’t much to check outside of windshield wiper fluid and maybe a dirty air filter, if it smells. None of that sounded worth a 300 mile round trip. I’ve heard other owners speak highly of the remote service while standing around the Supercharger. But nothing seems to be wrong with mine.

One thing you should keep up with on a Tesla, is reading what’s in the bi-weekly system upgrade. I was annoyed when I bought it and there was no printed owner’s manual. I didn’t realize that any printed manual would immediately be out of date. New cool features appear like magic in the middle of the night.

The Tesla fits my lazy approach to car care. Everything seems to work great, I’ll worry about it if anything ever squeaks or breaks. My other car, a 1997 Toyota 4 runner with a manual transmission (not available this century), has only been to a mechanic two or three times and still drives any off-road route around (mountain creeks, lava flows). I will never sell it. I expect to be using my Tesla at least as long unless it needs a computer or battery upgrade. So, using my 4-runner as a guide, I guess I will need to get my Tesla checked in 2 or 3 years. Hopefully they will have service in Northern Arizona by then.

Ninety percent of the time I charge my Tesla from my own solar panel array for free. The rest of the time I charge using the Tesla Supercharger network. A 600 mile round trip, charging at three or four superchargers away from your house, might cost $25 to $30. At fast ones, it’s all you can do to use the restroom and get back to the car because it’s already charged. Sometimes they are slow and you also have time to grab a sandwich.

I am a believer in getting your own Solar Array (a no-brainer in a sunny state), but also that if it’s good business for Solar City or Sunpower to lease your roof from you, it’s even better to be in that business for yourself. My 5 kWh Solar Array cost about $15,000 (after ~40% tax credits) and I have not paid since for lights, heating, cooling, or Tesla charging. But then my house is rated to use only 22% of the energy of a normal house its size, so your results may differ.

I will never buy a non-electric vehicle again, and I love the screen.

Reactions: Tomc62 and freed0m