Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 (2020 LR) Unplugged Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a September 2020 Model 3 LR (no heat pump) car.
I had a busted windscreen in mid January with a crazed screen rendering the car unsafe to drive.
As there is a global shortage of window glass and my car is parked on my driveway I thought I'd conduct an experiment to see what happens when the car is left unplugged and hardly touched for an extended period. There was nothing to lose since I couldn't use the car anyway.

This is in some way to answer various questions asked along the lines of "what to do when I go on holiday?".
I tried to avoid using the Tesla App to "spy" on the car but do have TeslaFi keeping a frequent eye on the car.
I charged the car to 90% on the 29th January then unplugged it.

For the first 21 days it would mostly wake up every 24 hours for just 11 minutes but typically every three days would wake up for an hour, sometimes 2 hours.
Something happened on the 19th February after its 11 minute wake up because it missed a wake up on the 20th.
48 hours later on the 21st it woke up for 11 minutes again.
48 hours later it woke up on the 23rd because of the latest software upload which required me to access via the App to permit installation - 2.5 hours awake!
Since then the car slept solid for 6 days and 4 hours until I woke it up myself.

I was getting worried it was sleeping so long (shades of "He's dead Jim") so I tried opening the Tesla App to check it was still alive but was taking forever to open so unlocked the car remotely using the Fob. The indicators flashed immediately and the mirrors opened - no delay there.
The App opened, I had a rummage then closed the App and locked the car with the Fob and 11 minutes later TeslaFi reports its asleep again.

So far, over 30 days of being unplugged, the battery is only down to 85% (84% usable according to TeslaFi) with an estimated miles depleted of 14.5 miles.

I shall continue the experiment until I can get the screen replaced and get mobile again - which might be another month!!

After 7 days without open Tesla app and everything else off, only 1% loss.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220301-195447_One UI Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20220301-195447_One UI Home.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 58
  • Screenshot_20220301-200015_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20220301-200015_Tesla.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 45
  • Screenshot_20220301-223610.jpg
    Screenshot_20220301-223610.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 38