Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 2021.4.12 update bug

erbmur

Jan 3, 2021
London
Car just updated to 2021.4.12 and all my settings are gone. Driver profiles have been deleted and settings have been reset.
The GPS also thinks I'm in California, not London. Some autopilot settings have been disabled too. And the car seems to have mysteriously developed the ability to use dual climate control.
Anybody else had similar experiences with this update? Or any other update?

Matsayz

Jul 6, 2019
Las Vegas
Try a reboot, press and hold both steering wheel buttons until the screen goes black then release. Hopefully that does the trick and if not make an appointment via the app

Reactions: tstolze

father_of_6

Jan 24, 2021
Buffalo, NY
Regarding the "dual climate control"... is "sync" just turned off now?

Sounds like you've lost all of your settings, so perhaps "sync" is off by default on climate controls. It changes what the UI looks like.

Reactions: android04

erbmur

Jan 3, 2021
London
Regarding the "dual climate control"... is "sync" just turned off now?

Sounds like you've lost all of your settings, so perhaps "sync" is off by default on climate controls. It changes what the UI looks like.
OMG I feel like such an idiot. I didn't even know that was a thing. At least everything else breaking allowed me to learn about that.

erbmur

Jan 3, 2021
London
Try a reboot, press and hold both steering wheel buttons until the screen goes black then release. Hopefully that does the trick and if not make an appointment via the app
Tried that multiple times but unfortunately it's still the same. Booked an appointment for 2 weeks Monday, earliest they have unfortunately.

Matsayz

Jul 6, 2019
Las Vegas
Tried that multiple times but unfortunately it's still the same. Booked an appointment for 2 weeks Monday, earliest they have unfortunately.
You could try calling the service center or find your local FaceBook Tesla group, sometimes the techs for Tesla are members of the groups and can check things for you. Good luck!

father_of_6

Jan 24, 2021
Buffalo, NY
Is it now failing to save settings? Or was it just a one time reset?

I wouldn't like my settings reset either, but it hardly seems service worthy. Probably the update performs some conversion of settings incorrectly which corrupted them. Unless it's stopping you from saving new settings, all the service center can do is set them back manually for you.

Reactions: drtimhill

Sadbrit1

Aug 26, 2020
Buffalo NY
Car just updated to 2021.4.12 and all my settings are gone. Driver profiles have been deleted and settings have been reset.
The GPS also thinks I'm in California, not London. Some autopilot settings have been disabled too. And the car seems to have mysteriously developed the ability to use dual climate control.
Anybody else had similar experiences with this update? Or any other update?
My M3 updated today, without any problems.

UncleCreepy

Mar 29, 2020
Lunenburg, ON
I had the same issue while I was on 2021.4.11. Since I had an appointment for an unrelated problem, I added what happened to the problem description in the app. My car thought I was in Palo Alto (I wasn't), LTE was no longer functional, all settings were gone, AP wasn't even working.
This happened after I closed the Netflix app. Since 2020.48.x it barely ever closed properly like it did before, instead it took several seconds to close and sometimes even caused a screen reboot. The tech pulled the logs and told me that following the crash of the Netflix app, the car detected a corrupted file and basically reset all settings to factory default. Interestingly, the phone keys were still paired.
After numerous resets via the scrollwheels and power-offs via the menu the car is now back to normal. Some things however couldn't be recovered, such as navigation favourites, browser bookmarks, trip odometer etc.
If you're on a software before 2020.48.x I recommend not to install any updates for now. My car just updated from 2021.4.11 to 2021.4.12 without issues though. So while the updates don't necessarily cause issues, they are buggy and can cause the whole system to go back to factory settings. Updating from 2021.4.11 to 2021.4.12 doesn't seem to make things worse though.

HAL2001

Sep 23, 2020
NJ
I would probably call service and ask them if they can re-push the last update. And ask if a factory reset after is recommended. If you have corruption that should clean it out.

UncleCreepy

Mar 29, 2020
Lunenburg, ON
Like I said, the car went back to factory settings by itself, so there was nothing I needed to do. Obviously that also fixed any potentially corrupted files.

I forgot to mention that the tech also said that it's a known bug that Netflix can crash upon closing. This might be fixed in 2021.4.12. At least I haven't seen it happen since the latest update.

• Informative
Reactions: Gasaraki

erbmur

Jan 3, 2021
London
I had the same issue while I was on 2021.4.11. Since I had an appointment for an unrelated problem, I added what happened to the problem description in the app. My car thought I was in Palo Alto (I wasn't), LTE was no longer functional, all settings were gone, AP wasn't even working.
This happened after I closed the Netflix app. Since 2020.48.x it barely ever closed properly like it did before, instead it took several seconds to close and sometimes even caused a screen reboot. The tech pulled the logs and told me that following the crash of the Netflix app, the car detected a corrupted file and basically reset all settings to factory default. Interestingly, the phone keys were still paired.
After numerous resets via the scrollwheels and power-offs via the menu the car is now back to normal. Some things however couldn't be recovered, such as navigation favourites, browser bookmarks, trip odometer etc.
If you're on a software before 2020.48.x I recommend not to install any updates for now. My car just updated from 2021.4.11 to 2021.4.12 without issues though. So while the updates don't necessarily cause issues, they are buggy and can cause the whole system to go back to factory settings. Updating from 2021.4.11 to 2021.4.12 doesn't seem to make things worse though.
Did the tech fix the GPS/Nav issue or did you manage to fix it yourself when you reset via the steering wheel? I tried resetting a couple of times and the Nav is still not working.

Mattopotamus

Jun 7, 2020
Atlanta

This literally just restarts the touch screen. To do an actual reboot you need to go into the service menu and reboot the car. After 5 minutes, press the brake. Stay in the car and just wait while it goes through the reboot.

UncleCreepy

Mar 29, 2020
Lunenburg, ON
This literally just restarts the touch screen. To do an actual reboot you need to go into the service menu and reboot the car. After 5 minutes, press the brake. Stay in the car and just wait while it goes through the reboot.
I don't remember in which order I tried the resets, but you're right. You need to go into the service menu and power off the car.
At some point when the navigation was back I had European style speed limit signs (see attached image). Another reset fixed that issue, too. The tech basically didn't need to do anything.

Attachments

• 20210313_085952.jpg
    20210313_085952.jpg
    406.4 KB · Views: 40
Reactions: Mattopotamus

erbmur

Jan 3, 2021
London
I didn't find a reboot option but there was a power off button. Pressed that and waited a a couple of minutes. But still the same issues when I hit the break. Ill just wait for the service to deal with it as its still within warranty.

Reactions: Mattopotamus

Mattopotamus

Jun 7, 2020
Atlanta
I didn't find a reboot option but there was a power off button. Pressed that and waited a a couple of minutes. But still the same issues when I hit the break. Ill just wait for the service to deal with it as its still within warranty.

I believe power off is the actual lingo.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC