Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 2021.4.12 update bug

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just updated the Tesla app to 3.10.10, then updated the Tesla software version from 2021.4.11 to 2021.4.12. While it was updating, I started reading the forums to if others were getting the update. By the time I found this thread, the software completed the update. Thankfully I had no issues, or I would have waited a bit longer. Lesson learned: check the forums before updating.

Try a reboot, press and hold both steering wheel buttons until the screen goes black then release. Hopefully that does the trick and if not make an appointment via the app
I don't know if it will make any difference, but I always thought the method above was a Soft Boot. It helps with minor quirks and can be completed while driving. But pressing on the break pedal while then pressing the scroll wheels will cause a Hard Boot. The car must be parked for this method. Hope it helps. Good luck.

BillyDale

This literally just restarts the touch screen. To do an actual reboot you need to go into the service menu and reboot the car. After 5 minutes, press the brake. Stay in the car and just wait while it goes through the reboot.
And that's literally how you reboot (reset/soft reboot/cycle/etc...) the car. The brake pedal was disproven a long time ago. You can and probably should do both the steering wheel reboot and the Power Off button if you're having issues. Those are both known as Soft Reboots. A Hard Reboot is removing the High Voltage connector under the back seat which is something most owners shouldn't mess with.

Tesla Service Techs will usually start with the Steering Wheel reboot as it will usually clear out any bugs in the boot cycle. These cars are computers that happen to have wheels. And Tesla is a tech company that happens to make computers with wheels.

Also, a soft reboot (reset whatever you want to call it) can be done while driving... you don't have to be in Park for this to be done.

And that's literally how you reboot (reset/soft reboot/cycle/etc...) the car. The brake pedal was disproven a long time ago.
I believe @Mattopotamus was referring to the Power Cycling reboot which includes touching the brake pedal at the end to wake up the car (from page 52 of the manual) - not the debunked "press the brake pedal while double-scroll-wheel" method
Power Cycling the Vehicle
If your vehicle demonstrates unusual behavior or a nondescript alert is present, you can try power cycling the vehicle to potentially resolve the issue.
  1. Shift into Park.
  2. On the touchscreen, touch Controls > Safety & Security > Power Off.
  3. Wait for at least two minutes without interacting with the vehicle. Do not open the doors, touch the brake pedal, touch the touchscreen, etc.
  4. After two minutes have passed, press the brake pedal or open the door to wake the vehicle.
So, there are three levels of "rebooting"
  1. Restarting the Touchscreen (Page 51) - Hold down both scroll buttons on the steering wheel until the touchscreen turns black. Despite what the manual says, can be done while driving. This is commonly referred to as a soft reset.
  2. Power Cycling the Vehicle (Page 52) - See above. I guess this one could be called a "medium rest."
  3. Tesla Model 3 Hard Reset - as described on the Mountain Pass Performance web site. Not for everyone.

I just update from 2020.47.103 to 2021.4.12 and only had one small bug with Auto High beams being activated for some strange reason. Toggling the auto high beams off and back on fixed it..
I updated to 2021.4.12 last night and just now got back from a 25 mile trip. My auto high beams were also activated, but otherwise, everything was fine. Oh yeah, it was 32 degrees and I noticed that I had a bit more regenerative braking than usual at that temperature and there was no message about reduced regenerative braking. So I guess it's true that this update improves operation in cold weather

I believe @Mattopotamus was referring to the Power Cycling reboot which includes touching the brake pedal at the end to wake up the car (from page 52 of the manual) - not the debunked "press the brake pedal while double-scroll-wheel" method

So, there are three levels of "rebooting"
  1. Restarting the Touchscreen (Page 51) - Hold down both scroll buttons on the steering wheel until the touchscreen turns black. Despite what the manual says, can be done while driving. This is commonly referred to as a soft reset.
  2. Power Cycling the Vehicle (Page 52) - See above. I guess this one could be called a "medium rest."
  3. Tesla Model 3 Hard Reset - as described on the Mountain Pass Performance web site. Not for everyone.

Correct. That is the method I was referring to. Thank you.

Car just updated to 2021.4.12 and all my settings are gone. Driver profiles have been deleted and settings have been reset.
The GPS also thinks I'm in California, not London. Some autopilot settings have been disabled too. And the car seems to have mysteriously developed the ability to use dual climate control.
Anybody else had similar experiences with this update? Or any other update?
Glad I’m not alone. I’m dealing with this exact issue. Only difference is I’m in California, but not in Palo Alto. Cellular isn’t connecting either. Tried reset and powering down. Didn’t work.

The same thing happened to me this morning.

I got the 2021.4.21 update 10 days ago without any issue. Had a charging interrupted notification a few days ago that I had blamed on not pushing in wall connector all the way in. This morning had another charging interruption notification and went to check on the car.

Couldn't access via app, but able to open door and the software update "What's New" screen was on. The GPS screen showed Tesla HQ, my total mileage was ---- mi and all the settings were reset except for the phone and card keys. Mobile access was off. I was able to re-enable mobile access and my phone showed the same --- miles. Cellular connection was working, but obviously wifi setting was wiped.

Called Tesla Support, the two button reboot turned off screen and screen never turned back on. The car was still able to drive. Still able to unlock and lock door via app, but unable to set climate or other controls via app. Tried two button reboot again, still didn't turn back on.

Getting towed to service center now (support said shouldn't drive there since the screen was inoperative).

I took delivery 3/2018

I'm on 2021.4.12 and I've had a couple of error messages displayed on screen about "Walkaway lock disabled" because no key card was present (even though I just got in the car and was driving. If I recall correctly, if I open the app on my phone, THAT makes is go away, but I will start paying more attention.