Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 2021 Suspension Revisions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m convinced that Tesla has revised the dampners or spring rates for 2021. I drove a 2021 Performance Model 3 at the dealer (which obviously had 20” Uberturbines), it felt quite comfortable (I have a bad back) which was a surprise to me because back in 2018 I rented a PM3 and found too stiff for my liking as a daily driver. Anyways, after driving the 2021 at the dealer I decided I had to have one. I found a 2020 Stealth Performance for sale which had the original 18” aero’s (stock Michelin tires) and for some reason the Stealth felt stiffer/ bumpier/ less comfortable?

Can anyone confirm if Tesla made any suspension revisions for 2021? I know they revised the front seats but what I felt was the actual suspension, not the seats.

Very likely but if they did, its their typical incremental continuous improvement not a model year (which they do not really do) specific change.

Some suspension components changed between early 2017, 2018 production and late 2018 production as well.

What you can glean from the parts website are part number 'revisions' which sometimes correlate well with changes, other times mean nothing more than different suppliers, factories, manufacture years, etc.

If the new/ish cars feel more comfortable to you, get one and enjoy.
With time the suspension will wear out just like the 2017/2018 cars with x miles. The feep at that point might be similar if not worse given the diff in unsprung weight.

I just rode in a 2021 with same wheels and tires as my 2019 and the difference was immediately noticeable, and I was not looking for a difference, just happened to go along for a ride on an errand. I wonder what the change was. Have searched the forums with no luck.

A difference in tire model / tire pressure can make pretty big differences in how comfy a car's suspension feels, so I wouldn't assume anything changed about the shocks, though it is possible.

Human perception is also just terrible at this stuff, it is possible nothing changed at all.

A difference in tire model / tire pressure can make pretty big differences in how comfy a car's suspension feels, so I wouldn't assume anything changed about the shocks, though it is possible.

Human perception is also just terrible at this stuff, it is possible nothing changed at all.

Believe me it is very noticable, especially in my neighbourhood where you have to go up and down one of those cut off curbs when going a specific route. Tire pressure was the same in all instances and the tires were the same as well, nowadays I am even able to run my 2021 at 3.1 bar instead of 2.8 as I had to do with my old one and still have the 2021 be more comfortable. Also got another data point when I got a 2019 loaner after my battery went belly up and that car was exactly the same as my 2020 was.

Reactions: Maric

i just got out of my rig and into friends. same setup just different year. wasnt anticipating anything but there was a noticeable difference. could be michelin made the tires better, my shocks are old... never know. hopefully a shop guy might see this thread and know something.