Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 2023 updates? Or what would you guys like to see?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
what is the PUP package ?

@Sam1

Performance upgrade Package, which is the bigger brakes, spoiler, 20 inch tires, upgraded pedals. When the model 3 performance was first released in mid 2018, beside the "faster speed", anything that was a visual indicator of a difference in the vehicles was part of a "performance upgrade package" that you had to buy separately for 5k.

After the end of the third quarter push (in 2018) they then made the performance upgrade package standard, and increased the price of the car a bit. In Q4 of 2018 (and going forward), the performance upgrade package was included in model 3 performance vehicles, however it was still called out on MVPAs.

No idea if it is still called out, but people still note those options as being part of the PUP.

Reactions: Sam1
That's why I put it in parentheses. It's went up massively just in the past few years though, my first stealth M3P was $49,000. Now to get an identical car without any real significant upgrades, that same car costs $14,000 more or $10,000 more now if you bought the PUP package in 2019. Same reason why I stopped telling people that it pays for itself; at this point they're so expensive they do not unless you use it for business purposes.
2022 Model 3 Performance. Paid $59k($61.5k OTD) for it on 11/23/2022. This was Vroom’s offer for it last week.

Yes, it still does “pay for itself”.

7ED305F7-68A5-4D1F-ADFE-DC9864E7CF32.jpeg

Model 3 is no longer available to order for 2022. Given it previous had a delivery date reaching 2023, i think it suggests we may see a refresh, and potentially a price jump, for 2023 model year.
Design Your Model 3 | Tesla currently lists (in the US) that the base Model 3 (RWD) is still available (delivery 11/2022 to 1/2023, or a 10/2022 to 12/2023 if you choose any extra cost hardware option (wheels, exterior color, interior color), as is the performance version (delivery 10/2022 to 12/2022).

But the long range version is grayed out.

• Informative
Reactions: mpgxsvcd
That will never happen. If it thinks that the area in front of its cameras is occluded while on AP it needs to be able to run the wipers.
It can. Just send an FYI to the screen saying screen is dirty or something similar or add windshield fluid to wipe it clean by itself. I've seen my share of oddities from time to time. Starts for nothing and stays on even if it's 99% clean. Winter time it's worst...

But i understand your point and what Tesla wants to do. I just wish I can do it by myself.

But there is no reason to get to the individual batteries. They aren't serviceable. Not in the structural pack, or the non-structural pack. If a cell fails you need a new pack, and the old pack gets recycled.
That's funny, because I've seen videos of them being serviced. When a battery pack costs as much as an entry level car, there needs to be a cheaper way to fix an out of warranty vehicle.

Man I'm really tempted to sell mine for a profit and then try to find a MSRP bolt and then just bathe in money for fun i
That's funny, because I've seen videos of them being serviced. When a battery pack costs as much as an entry level car, there needs to be a cheaper way to fix an out of warranty vehicle.
Yeah we have all seen videos of them being serviced, by Gruber motorsports and others. Unfortunately this is almost always going to be a temporary repair. When you remove a bad cell or try to swap a good cell in for a bad cell, there is no way to be sure that the replacement cell is in the same state as the rest of the cells in the pack, and eventually this leads to ruin. Most people who attempt the service end up with a bad pack a little while later again.

So either you have to create a whole super high tech industry of battery pack repair, with slightly heavier/more complex packs that allow servicing, and ways to inspect the underlying chemical state of the pack and ways to reproduce an equivalent cell to replace bad ones with, etc etc. ORRR make the packs as light and cheap as possible and be sure you can at least recycle them efficiently (also a big high tech industry)

I'm not sure what the best answer is, but its not obvious that pack serviceability is the best.

Reactions: MP3Mike
That's funny, because I've seen videos of them being serviced.
I've also seen the video of one of those "serviced" packs then failing shortly afterwards. (There are some things that can be serviced on the legacy Model S/X modules, but in all of the current packs none of the module/cell levels stuff is serviceable.)

Yes, that will work long enough for you to trade-in or sell the vehicle to an unsuspecting person. (Or if you drive very little.)

So either you have to create a whole super high tech industry of battery pack repair, with slightly heavier/more complex packs that allow servicing, and ways to inspect the underlying chemical state of the pack and ways to reproduce an equivalent cell to replace bad ones with, etc etc. ORRR make the packs as light and cheap as possible and be sure you can at least recycle them efficiently (also a big high tech industry)
So where does Tesla get warranty replacement packs that have less than new capacity (though at least as much capacity as the customer's pack had before failure, as promised)? Presumably, they are used, or have used cells / modules in them, but are balanced enough that the Tesla BMS does not have a problem with them.

Of course, another solution to the problem of rebuilding packs would be to design a BMS capable of handling some level of cell voltage mismatch without causing further degradation or failure. The Bolt BMS seems to be able to handle cell voltage differences of about 0.5% total (about 2% of the difference between "full" and "empty") with merely limiting the capacity based on the lowest voltage cell but not degrading capacity further based on this. It even was supposed to handle packs with mixes of modules of different battery chemistries, which existed for a short time when GM thought that they could identify good modules and replace only possibly bad ones in the fire recall.

Just because Tesla may not do it does not mean that it cannot be done, even though Tesla is ahead of the competition in many ways in EV stuff. Perhaps Tesla chooses not to do it because it does not want to enable third party pack rebuilders, although that also constrains how much it can reuse parts from warranty core packs.

Not sure it's a refresh situation because the performance is built on mostly the same line.
I think the Est. delivery is what matters. Both the RWD and Performance show 2022 delivery while I noticed in the last few days Long Range Delivery has slipped quickly towards 2023.

I’m curious if it’s due to the new bill that’s about to be signed giving EV tax credits. Maybe Tesla is about to make a price adjustment for the LR?
Make the LR less than $50k? That is a big mountain to climb up ....or down.... Probably a version without heated seats electric tail gate etc.....

Design Your Model 3 | Tesla currently lists (in the US) that the base Model 3 (RWD) is still available (delivery 11/2022 to 1/2023, or a 10/2022 to 12/2023 if you choose any extra cost hardware option (wheels, exterior color, interior color), as is the performance version (delivery 10/2022 to 12/2022).

But the long range version is grayed out.
Yeah, both RWD and Performance are showing 2022 delivery now. I noticed the Est delivery of LR slipped quickly to 2023 in the last few days.

what is the PUP package ?

@Sam1
Premium Upgrade Package, not to be confused with the Performance Upgrade Package. This was supposedly an option announced in 2017 for the early Model 3’s that included:
Glass roof,
Power seats w/ driver profiles
Premium seating surfaces
Wood trim - we don't know what the base trim is going to look like.
Folding mirrors
Rear seat armrest with cupholders
Homelink
2 years data connectivity included
Upgraded sound
As it turned out, all the early models had this and if you wanted the car you got and paid for PUP. There was also an incentive promotion for lifetime connectivity if you ordered prior to July 1, 2018 that had nothing to do with PUP. Soon PUP disappeared as an option and all of these features were embedded into the car and its price anyway. Later, Homelink was removed and became an add-on option as it is today. And the data connectivity is now a 30-day free trial, then optionally paid for thereafter.