Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 2023 updates? Or what would you guys like to see?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ventilated Seats to combat the hot and humid Florida weather! Better windshield wipers, they don't do a good job on auto, or actually cleaning the window. Cargo hooks in the trunk. Small spare tire mounted under frunk. Apple Car play. I like the glass roof, but would prefer a solid metal roof. Lower front bumper screen to keep leaves, rocks and bugs from accumulating on the radiator. Passenger side HVAC fan control. Maintenance minders integrated in the MCU i.e. ac cabin filter change reminder, tire rotation, etc.

Reactions: FloridaGary
If anything, the touch-sensitive buttons make it easier to use the turn signal in the middle of a turn, given that you drive with your hands in the correct 9 and 3 positions.

Very few things are "easier" with touch-screen buttons.
Human need haptic feedback as a confirmation that they are engaging in the right activity, especially while multitasking (e.g.: keeping the eyes on the road while initiating a turn, breaking, or changing lanes).

Initiating turns and using turn signals, similar to turning the wheel or braking, are activities that should require zero fumbling and be part of muscle memory. None of the touch-pad or touch-screen enabled activities in the Tesla pass that test.

Other activities that merit a physical key/latch, and no a stupid touch-screen button (that is subject to relocation between software pushes):
- opening the glove box
- seat heaters
- audio input selection controls
- possibly something else that is escaping my memory right now

a

P.S.: Issuing voice commands is not a good substitute for activating functions in a car. Other than the overhead of memorizing the commands (and not confusing them across cars), voice commands are disruptive and undesirable whenever you are on a conference call, or listening to the radio.

Reactions: Rocket_man
Very few things are "easier" with touch-screen buttons.
Human need haptic feedback as a confirmation that they are engaging in the right activity, especially while multitasking (e.g.: keeping the eyes on the road while initiating a turn, breaking, or changing lanes).

Initiating turns and using turn signals, similar to turning the wheel or braking, are activities that should require zero fumbling and be part of muscle memory. None of the touch-pad or touch-screen enabled activities in the Tesla pass that test.

Other activities that merit a physical key/latch, and no a stupid touch-screen button (that is subject to relocation between software pushes):
- opening the glove box
- seat heaters
- audio input selection controls
- possibly something else that is escaping my memory right now

a

P.S.: Issuing voice commands is not a good substitute for activating functions in a car. Other than the overhead of memorizing the commands (and not confusing them across cars), voice commands are disruptive and undesirable whenever you are on a conference call, or listening to the radio.
I like buttons, but I do not necessarily agree that "Human need haptic feedback," but if that were the case, you get feedback when you perform most things that are activated through the screen (sound, lights, warning, etc). And when it comes to the touch-sensitive buttons on the S and X Yoke, they have like a haptic feedback sort of feel to them when you click them.

I would like a physical button for the glovebox and perhaps the audio, but I do not find it a need. Anyways, to each their own.

Replacing stalks with touch sensitive buttons is just to cut cost, period. When dealing with complex conditions, having the extra step of locating the turn signal buttons or gear selection on screen is just another step that is totally not necessary, no matter how "easy" that is. The only benefit of moving towards buttons on the steering wheel is to save cost in order to meet $55k cap. Who knows what else Tesla may get rid of or list as optional add-ons.

The turn signal buttons are located where your tum supposed to be, so it is very hard to miss it.
With the physical stalk, you use either middle or index finger while your palm is on the steering wheel. "when dealing with complex conditions" it will be much easier to press those buttons with your thumb since your left hand will be on the steering wheel naturally as you would operate the stalk.
Also, current turn signal stalk on MY/M3 sucks, meaning the half way up/down for three signal function is less sensitive than other cars and the full turn is way harder to push up/down than others.
I use signal religiously and never miss it even during street car race with other reckless drivers LOL. It will be way safer and easier to press the button on the steering wheel with my thumb than trying to push up and down the stalk while turning/maneuvering the steering wheel.

• Funny
Reactions: SalisburySam
Currently the signal stalk has five positions to manage three-blinks or full-on, in each direction, and off. I suppose the thumb buttons will simulate that via quick-tap and long-press?

Still going to be tricky to signal with the wheel cranked in a tight roundabout/circle/rotary/whatevertheycallitinyourneckofthewoods. In the USA, we drive them counter-clockwise and very few drivers signal to exit these things, but still.

Reactions: SalisburySam
…or, obviously, when the cellular signal is weak or nonexistent.

Reactions: afadeev
The single biggest improvement would be to add QC people at the plant. It should not be a dice roll whether you get good panel alignment or good paint. The rush to get vehicles out the door is at odds with making a consistently good product.
True 'dat.
Alas, that would cost money.

The name of the game with Tesla, lately, is cost cutting while raising prices.
Good for share holders. Bad for customers / car owners.

SpaceX is about to fix that issue :)
(well, late next year anyway...)

That wont do Tesla cars any good.
Tesla is locked into multi-year wireless contract with AT&T.
The SpaceX emergency calling/texting feature is tied to 2.5Gig spectrum that is owned exclusively by T-Mo.

a