Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 35K Version new battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Purely speculation right now, but I think the 35K model 3 might have a new pack. But it is the same pack as the premium plus with 240 miles range. Similar to S75D and the S60D. It is just a software limited to 220 miles vs the 240 miles of the plus.

If this true, it might mean the 35K model 3 might be able to charge to 100% regularly without much worry about battery degradation.

Below are napkin math and base on some info about the midrange and such

Long Range Battery Capacity: 74KWh yielding 325 miles
Mid Range Battery Capacity: 62KWh yielding 264 miles
Standard Range Premium Plus: ~55KWh yield 240 miles
Standard Range: 55KWh yield 220 miles.

Ratio:
Long Range: 325/74 = 4.33 miles/KWh
Mid Range: 264/62 = 4.26 miles/KWh
Standard Range Plus: 4.36 miles/KWh
Standard Range: 4 miles/KWh - but probably software limited

If the Standard Range is indeed a software limited Standard Plus pack, that means about 9% missing capacity. I would think Tesla put it on the upper part meaning the max you can charge the Standard Range is 91%. Meaning you can probably charge the Standard to 100% all the time and it will be similar to a Standard Range Plus charged to 91% all the time.

What do you guys think?

i would not be surprised but regardless i think lots will opt for $2k option for the other things in the package. i think the 20 extra range was just to put it against the competition such as the chevy bolt is 238 mile range for $37k

I think it's highly likely the base model is a software locked pack and the "standard range plus" is the true full capacity of the new battery. Tesla is meeting their obligation of introducing a $35k car while simultaneously doing everything they can to make sure not many people buy it. Smart business, as the $2500 upgrade for the extra range, fog lamps, and premium seats is a good enough value to entice a significant majority to click that box.

No, SR can be routinely charged to 100% if it indeed has a software lock limiting the battery to a 91.6% maximum charge level. SR+ in theory is the unlocked version that can charge the pack up to 100% to get the extra 20 miles of range compared to the SR...
What makes you think the lock is on the charging? Wouldn't it make more sense to have the lock on the discharge side?
It would be sad to have a battery pack that could never balance itself properly.

What makes you think the lock is on the charging? Wouldn't it make more sense to have the lock on the discharge side?
It would be sad to have a battery pack that could never balance itself properly.

Mostly history. Tesla has been doing locked batteries for several years now off and on, with half a dozen different sizes over the years.

Every one of them to date has had the same bottom SoC as the unlocked version and been limited to a lower max SoC.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H

Of course the lock could be on the discharge side too, I am just guessing at this point since no SR or SR+ has shipped yet so no one can verify the software lock and how it is implemented.

I guess 20 miles is not that much of a difference SOC wise. Some people I know have been asking me about the new lower priced Model 3 cars and showing interest so I don't want to feed them BS about it. Thus my interest on this topic.

While it is possible that it is indeed only software locked, that does defeat many of the stated reasons why it wasn't shipped earlier. There was a need to decrease price, that's done by reducing costs, not playing with selling price.

I think Tesla did the software lock out of the 20 miles mainly due to the 2K price increase. It is hard to justify the premium plus upgrades for 2K. But if you throw in 20 extra miles, it makes it more palatable. All on all, I think most people should forgo the extra 20 miles and just stick with the $35K to maximize value. When you are on road trips, you dont want to wait for the last 20 miles anyways so all in all, it is a wash when you actually need the 20 miles.

Of course the lock could be on the discharge side too, I am just guessing at this point since no SR or SR+ has shipped yet so no one can verify the software lock and how it is implemented.
It really can’t be on the discharge side. Do you think Tesla is going to write software to leave you stranded on the road while enough power is in the battery to move the car without damage? It will always be on the max charge side.

It really can’t be on the discharge side. Do you think Tesla is going to write software to leave you stranded on the road while enough power is in the battery to move the car without damage? It will always be on the max charge side.

Can it be balanced? So I could use a SR+ 0-100% w/o issues since it's really a MR