Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 3D printed nose add-on

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

New here, Canadian living in Switzerland, got my M3 in June, just an amazing car.

I've been posting mostly on forums.tesla.com but I thought some of you might be interested in a little project I'm working on.

I just want to spice-up a bit the front of the car with a 3D printed part I designed, you can see a rendering here:
Front on M3.png

Details on the project can be found here:
Model 3 3D printed nose add-on | Tesla

I don't intend to replicate all updates here, I'll just post some pictures along the way. I'm normally starting to 3D print the central part this Saturday. It'll take a couple of weeks until I have it done nice and shiny.

Cheers

Hugues

I considered doing a 3D printed grille as well. Pretty much the exact design you have here. Problem is I think when you look at it upclose it might look too “tacked-on” if you know what I mean. From a distance it would probably look fine though. If I was brave I would probably carve a hole in my bumper and add a grille similar to the S/X. Anyways I look forward to seeing your final results!

Looks nice, wonder how it would look with a license plate attached.
Thanks. I'd rather do away with the front license plate, but it's mandatory here. Although the front swiss plate is narrower than north american plates, like this below (not my car). I will probably redesign the plate holder, make it much slimmer and closer to the body, and move it down a notch, without obstructing the air intake.
swiss license plate.jpg

I considered doing a 3D printed grille as well. Pretty much the exact design you have here. Problem is I think when you look at it upclose it might look too “tacked-on” if you know what I mean. From a distance it would probably look fine though. If I was brave I would probably carve a hole in my bumper and add a grille similar to the S/X. Anyways I look forward to seeing your final results!
I also thought (for about 10 sec LOL) to cut out the front bumper to simulate a grille, but I thought it's not a proper way to treat a 2 weeks old car LOL. So technically I don't call it a grille, not even a mock-up of a grille. It's just an add-on with relief that's meant to enhance the look of the car, a bit like the small chrome trim around the cameras on the side of the car in front of the front doors.

Actually the design is not so straight forward. In order for the part to mate nicely with the bumper, I had to 3D scan the bumper, as it is curved in 2 dimensions. Then i designed my part on top of that scan, quite a long process. I uploaded the scan here: Tesla Model 3 front bumper by hugues1965

I just realise we can embed pics here, contrary to the Tesla forum, so here's the rendering again:
Front on M3.png

I also thought (for about 10 sec LOL) to cut out the front bumper to simulate a grille, but I thought it's not a proper way to treat a 2 weeks old car LOL. So technically I don't call it a grille, not even a mock-up of a grille. It's just an add-on with relief that's meant to enhance the look of the car, a bit like the small chrome trim around the cameras on the side of the car in front of the front doors.

Actually the design is not so straight forward. In order for the part to mate nicely with the bumper, I had to 3D scan the bumper, as it is curved in 2 dimensions. Then i designed my part on top of that scan, quite a long process. I uploaded the scan here: Tesla Model 3 front bumper by hugues1965

I just realise we can embed pics here, contrary to the Tesla forum, so here's the rendering again:
View attachment 428781
How do you 3D scan the bumper?

Now that I think about it, I do recall seeing someone on here (or another forum) putting on a grille similar to this. They made it using acrylic I believe. I'll try to find the thread.

EDIT: Found the thread. I was mistaken. It wasn't acrylic but just a decal. Still, it should give you an idea of how your final product might look. Custom front grille

Last edited:
How do you 3D scan the bumper?

Now that I think about it, I do recall seeing someone on here (or another forum) putting on a grille similar to this. They made it using acrylic I believe. I'll try to find the thread.

EDIT: Found the thread. I was mistaken. It wasn't acrylic but just a decal. Still, it should give you an idea of how your final product might look. Custom front grille
I used this 3D scanner:
https://www.einscan.com/desktop-3d-scanners/einscan-sp/

The link you gave with the black add-on on the white car looks nice. But he did not give much details on how he did it. We both used the Model S overall shape. But I think he made his a little too wide. I tried to reuse the M3 body features on the hood to better integrate it, let's see.

Hi guys,

New here, Canadian living in Switzerland, got my M3 in June, just an amazing car.

I've been posting mostly on forums.tesla.com but I thought some of you might be interested in a little project I'm working on.

I just want to spice-up a bit the front of the car with a 3D printed part I designed, you can see a rendering here:
Front on M3.png

Details on the project can be found here:
Model 3 3D printed nose add-on | Tesla

I don't intend to replicate all updates here, I'll just post some pictures along the way. I'm normally starting to 3D print the central part this Saturday. It'll take a couple of weeks until I have it done nice and shiny.

Cheers

Hugues

Great! Exactly what it needed!

kNb3xRP.jpg
Good question. Anyone's got a detailed plan showing where the front sensors are located ? I do have some clearance between my part and the top of the license plate.
Not sure, but people who have installed their license plate a couple inches higher than normal, have blocked their radar signal. Perhaps a search for front bumpers removed will indicate where the radar is located.

The only pic I could find is a crashed Model 3, which seems to show the radar module dead center under the logo, right at the most forward part of the nose is right at the crease. Exactly where you want to put your "moustache".

I put a link to the original image at top, and I blew up and brightened the middle of the bumper in a file below:

Attachments

• kNb3xRP.jpg
    kNb3xRP.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Just thinking:
- some folks would happily wrap their front bumper with all sorts of vinyl or ceramic paint protection films. There must be a certain thickness and material type threshold that we can put in front of the radar. Also when there is a mud/snow/ice/insects buildup.

I will print the right harm hollow and see if it interferes with the radar. The advantages of printing hollow: less printing time (from 11h down to 3.5), less material used, and by printing in a spiral, you don't get a seam and the surface is smoother.

we'll see.