Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 7 day return and auto park

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings, I am a longtime Model 3 wannabe. Thinking I will take the plunge but am not going to be in a position to take a test drive until around December 3 and I would want to take delivery of a M3 LR no later than 12/31 for tax credit reasons.

Two questions, if I order today (11/22) and later after I test drive it I cancel the order I believe all I risk is my $100 order fee, and I cannot order a similar one for a year. If I take delivery, and for example, it does not fit in my garage (yes, I have measured and it is going to be tight) or for any other reason I would need to return it inside the seven-day window. Does anyone have experience with the return and is it as hassle-free as it sounds?

Next, I think the auto park would help be shoe-horn this into my garage on a straight-in parking basis. It looks to me that I would have to order Full Self Driving to get this. Am I understanding this correctly?

Thanks!

Why wouldn't you wait to place the order until you test drive it? There's no guarantee that you'd get delivery before the end of the year anyway. If it doesn't fit in your garage and that's why you'd return it I wouldn't risk it.
I've never heard of using auto-park to park in your own garage but maybe that happens. This sounds like a complicated garage lol
A garage that can barely fit this car must be extremely tiny. What vehicle is parked in it now?

I believe the OP is actually talking about "summon" instead of auto park as far as parking in the garage, since OP mentions in a straight line. If the issue is side to side tight parking, summon "might" help if you get out and summon forward etc... but I wouldnt depend on it.

For summon or autopark, you would need FSD, but thats not the reason I would spend all the extra money on that package.

OP you already run the risk of the car not being delivered in time right now. If you cancel before you take delivery, I believe you only lose the $100. A couple people have also reported that tesla seemed to be processing a return on that $100 but they never checked in to say they actually got the money back, just that tesla had processed a return.

I have read (but have no personal experience) that returning the vehicle is easy.. what can take a while is actually getting the money back. I would go into that expecting a 30-60 day wait in getting your money back if you return the vehicle in the 7 day period.

Why wouldn't you wait to place the order until you test drive it? There's no guarantee that you'd get delivery before the end of the year anyway. If it doesn't fit in your garage and that's why you'd return it I wouldn't risk it.
I've never heard of using auto-park to park in your own garage but maybe that happens. This sounds like a complicated garage lol
A garage that can barely fit this car must be extremely tiny. What vehicle is parked in it now?

No you would use Summon to park in your own garage. In reality it will be easier to do it yourself. If you absolutely can't open the doors then maybe it will be useful to you.

Thanks, as for ordering now, the Tesla site says orders today will have 12/31 or earlier delivery. So, I am willing to risk $100 as both Federal and Colorado tax credits change 1/1/20. WRT parking in the garage. There is a Cadillac SRX (wife's and probably not going away) and my VW EOS which is about 4" narrower and a foot shorter.

I think this is not the only reason for ordering FSD but would simply be a nice extra reason.

Thanks again!

You can use summon to pull the car out of a tight spot in a garage. We do that occasionally. I would not recommend spending $7K to do this but if you want FSD anyway then you will get summon.

Do not buy the car until you are sure you want it. Ask for a test drive or see if you can find a neighbor that has one who can try parking it in your garage. The return process is not easy. It gets even more complicated if you are financing the car because now both you and the bank need to chase after Tesla to get a refund and you will still be making loan payments while you wait around for Tesla to refund your money.

Greetings, I am a longtime Model 3 wannabe. Thinking I will take the plunge but am not going to be in a position to take a test drive until around December 3 and I would want to take delivery of a M3 LR no later than 12/31 for tax credit reasons.

Two questions, if I order today (11/22) and later after I test drive it I cancel the order I believe all I risk is my $100 order fee, and I cannot order a similar one for a year. If I take delivery, and for example, it does not fit in my garage (yes, I have measured and it is going to be tight) or for any other reason I would need to return it inside the seven-day window. Does anyone have experience with the return and is it as hassle-free as it sounds?

Next, I think the auto park would help be shoe-horn this into my garage on a straight-in parking basis. It looks to me that I would have to order Full Self Driving to get this. Am I understanding this correctly?

Thanks!

One piece of advice, if your rushing to get the $1875 tax credit you may want to rethink your decision. Tesla has dropped prices as the tax credits have been phased out in the past. There is a chance of price adjustments in 2020. Buy when your ready not on the tax credit. Also getting connected with a good OA can secure yourself a much better deal. Attached a image on one that was sent by an OA, it had 9k adjustment and only 119 miles and no accident.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191119-105706.png
    Screenshot_20191119-105706.png
    438.5 KB · Views: 83
FEE2DD42-B41D-472F-857D-F793CB0F2F01.jpeg
One piece of advice, if your rushing to get the $1875 tax credit you may want to rethink your decision. Tesla has dropped prices as the tax credits have been phased out in the past. There is a chance of price adjustments in 2020. Buy when your ready not on the tax credit. Also getting connected with a good OA can secure yourself a much better deal. Attached a image on one that was sent by an OA, it had 9k adjustment and only 119 miles and no accident.

I have a very small tight fit garage, and mine fits. Easy to back in as well. Tesla basically tells you when to stop and shows you in inches which is nice.

View attachment 480030

I have a very small tight fit garage, and mine fits. Easy to back in as well. Tesla basically tells you when to stop and shows you in inches which is nice.

It does, but summon is extremely conservative. I don’t think it’ll get you within 24” of the nearest obstacle to the front or rear. You can almost certainly get more precise yourself just using the parking sensors,

Teslas can also live outdoors in the driveway. Chargers can be put on the outside wall and Tesla chargers are already waterproof and you can get waterproof 14-50 chargers installed.
Can a Tesla live outdoors in Longmont, Colorado, where the OP lives?

It's a genuine question.

How well does it work to park and charge outdoors in below freezing conditions?

I have summon and also have a garage that’s a tight fit. The entryway is about 4-5 inches on each side of the car with the mirrors folded. About 95% of the time it will back up without issues using summon. However; using summon to bring the car into the garage is a different story. Works maybe about 30-40% of the time. As others have mentioned it’s quicker and easier just to drive the car into the garage yourself.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: tvad
People have been parking teslas outside in sub-freezing conditions regularly for years. You have to use some common sense, but they'll be fine. It's been suggested to use some kind of silicone based lubricant for the windows and doors so they don't get stuck.