TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 7 day return and auto park

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by jhw80504, Nov 22, 2019.

1. jhw80504

jhw80504 New Member

Greetings, I am a longtime Model 3 wannabe. Thinking I will take the plunge but am not going to be in a position to take a test drive until around December 3 and I would want to take delivery of a M3 LR no later than 12/31 for tax credit reasons.

Two questions, if I order today (11/22) and later after I test drive it I cancel the order I believe all I risk is my $100 order fee, and I cannot order a similar one for a year. If I take delivery, and for example, it does not fit in my garage (yes, I have measured and it is going to be tight) or for any other reason I would need to return it inside the seven-day window. Does anyone have experience with the return and is it as hassle-free as it sounds?

Next, I think the auto park would help be shoe-horn this into my garage on a straight-in parking basis. It looks to me that I would have to order Full Self Driving to get this. Am I understanding this correctly?

Thanks!

2. toolman335

toolman335 Member

Why wouldn't you wait to place the order until you test drive it? There's no guarantee that you'd get delivery before the end of the year anyway. If it doesn't fit in your garage and that's why you'd return it I wouldn't risk it.
    I've never heard of using auto-park to park in your own garage but maybe that happens. This sounds like a complicated garage lol
    A garage that can barely fit this car must be extremely tiny. What vehicle is parked in it now?

3. TomB985

TomB985 Member

I don’t think auto park is capable of helping park in the garage.

To be honest it’s not that great. The car parks with the confidence of a nervous 16-year-old on meth. It only works backing into a perpendicular spot or parallel parking, and is extremely conservative. If the clearance is remotely close, the car won’t even try.

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
  4. jjrandorin

jjrandorin Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums

I believe the OP is actually talking about "summon" instead of auto park as far as parking in the garage, since OP mentions in a straight line. If the issue is side to side tight parking, summon "might" help if you get out and summon forward etc... but I wouldnt depend on it.

For summon or autopark, you would need FSD, but thats not the reason I would spend all the extra money on that package.

OP you already run the risk of the car not being delivered in time right now. If you cancel before you take delivery, I believe you only lose the $100. A couple people have also reported that tesla seemed to be processing a return on that $100 but they never checked in to say they actually got the money back, just that tesla had processed a return.

I have read (but have no personal experience) that returning the vehicle is easy.. what can take a while is actually getting the money back. I would go into that expecting a 30-60 day wait in getting your money back if you return the vehicle in the 7 day period.

5. JayNJ

JayNJ Member

No you would use Summon to park in your own garage. In reality it will be easier to do it yourself. If you absolutely can't open the doors then maybe it will be useful to you.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  6. jhw80504

jhw80504 New Member

Thanks, as for ordering now, the Tesla site says orders today will have 12/31 or earlier delivery. So, I am willing to risk $100 as both Federal and Colorado tax credits change 1/1/20. WRT parking in the garage. There is a Cadillac SRX (wife's and probably not going away) and my VW EOS which is about 4" narrower and a foot shorter.

I think this is not the only reason for ordering FSD but would simply be a nice extra reason.

Thanks again!

7. OCR1

OCR1 Active Member

You can use summon to pull the car out of a tight spot in a garage. We do that occasionally. I would not recommend spending $7K to do this but if you want FSD anyway then you will get summon.

Do not buy the car until you are sure you want it. Ask for a test drive or see if you can find a neighbor that has one who can try parking it in your garage. The return process is not easy. It gets even more complicated if you are financing the car because now both you and the bank need to chase after Tesla to get a refund and you will still be making loan payments while you wait around for Tesla to refund your money.

8. turtlesz

turtlesz Member

One piece of advice, if your rushing to get the $1875 tax credit you may want to rethink your decision. Tesla has dropped prices as the tax credits have been phased out in the past. There is a chance of price adjustments in 2020. Buy when your ready not on the tax credit. Also getting connected with a good OA can secure yourself a much better deal. Attached a image on one that was sent by an OA, it had 9k adjustment and only 119 miles and no accident.

Attached Files:

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  9. tvad

tvad Member

What's an "OA"?

10. Kennymb5384

Kennymb5384 Member

FEE2DD42-B41D-472F-857D-F793CB0F2F01.jpeg
    I have a very small tight fit garage, and mine fits. Easy to back in as well. Tesla basically tells you when to stop and shows you in inches which is nice.

11. Sandiegodoug

Sandiegodoug Member

We were buying an x and before I signed up for the order, the Tesla oa (owner/advisor?)
    brought the x to my home to test fit in my garage. It barely fit, so we ordered.

12. TomB985

TomB985 Member

It does, but summon is extremely conservative. I don’t think it’ll get you within 24” of the nearest obstacle to the front or rear. You can almost certainly get more precise yourself just using the parking sensors,

13. Kennymb5384

Kennymb5384 Member

I didn’t even mention that I don’t have summons either and it’s easy to get in out of my small garage!

14. shinytop

shinytop Member

Teslas can also live outdoors in the driveway. Chargers can be put on the outside wall and Tesla chargers are already waterproof and you can get waterproof 14-50 chargers installed.

15. tvad

tvad Member

Can a Tesla live outdoors in Longmont, Colorado, where the OP lives?

It's a genuine question.

How well does it work to park and charge outdoors in below freezing conditions?

16. C141medic

C141medic Active Member

I have summon and also have a garage that’s a tight fit. The entryway is about 4-5 inches on each side of the car with the mirrors folded. About 95% of the time it will back up without issues using summon. However; using summon to bring the car into the garage is a different story. Works maybe about 30-40% of the time. As others have mentioned it’s quicker and easier just to drive the car into the garage yourself.

17. ry-ballz

ry-ballz Member

It'll be fine. Longmont isn't cold

18. tvad

tvad Member

#18 tvad, Nov 22, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    Nightly temps below freezing, including some rain and snow, for the next two weeks...
    Longmont, CO 10-Day Weather Forecast - The Weather Channel | Weather.com

For owners with first hand experience parking outdoors in sub-freezing weather...how well does it work to park and charge your Tesla outdoors in these conditions? Does the charge port freeze shut (or open)? Does the charger freeze in the charge port?

19. ry-ballz

ry-ballz Member

It's fine

• Informative x 1
  20. sduck

sduck Mr. Duck

People have been parking teslas outside in sub-freezing conditions regularly for years. You have to use some common sense, but they'll be fine. It's been suggested to use some kind of silicone based lubricant for the windows and doors so they don't get stuck.