Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

model 3 75D..... badge thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know this is going to cause a discussion. I understand that tesla is purposely keeping the battery designation out of the name of the model 3 variants, I am new to the tesla brand. That being said, being someone who is a car lover and anxiously awaiting my model 3 long range dual motor, i see there being some use in the conventional model naming. There will be short range variants, so 3D does nothing to distinguish the range. model 3 310D is a confusing mouthful. I am of the opinion that there isn't a bad model or variant of tesla cars. they are all very impressive and unique. Each one is a part of our life stories and personalities. I am rambling, sure, but don't be surprised if you see a model 3 with a 75D badge, or even a P75D that owners have placed on themselves. Thoughts?......

I was thinking of something like this:

IMG_9679.jpg

I can imagine the conversation between Elon and Franz.
Franz: Elon, how about 75/75D badge to give some pride in their ownership of LR?
Elon: Nah, the battery size should not be revealed to the general public. The 80 kWh battery can cannibalize the Model S sales.
Franz: Ok, should we go without it?
Elon: Let's put "Dual Motor" on the back to boost the ego of the $53K+ Model 3.
Franz:.*sigh*...okay....

It's hard to imagine that this "Dual Motor" badge is Franz's original idea. I doubt it was his idea.

Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges.

Seriously, if you really need a badge on your car to tell people you spent X number of dollars you really need to go into a dark room and think for a long time about your life choice motivations, and what they say about your sense of self-worth.

That's every single woman with a designer handbag.

I get the sentiment but world isn't that black and white.

Reactions: Pkmmte
For SoCal at least, there is a practical reason for dual motor badge. It's so you can drive up to Big Bear without chains assuming you are AWD and have M+S tires.
At least when driving up to the Sierra (Lake Tahoe area) you don't need badges for that. When chain controls are active, they stop almost all cars at check points anyway (usually also taking a look at your tires) and you can just tell them that you have an AWD.

You technically need chains "with you" but you don't need to install them unless conditions are really bad.

I have never been stopped but I take chains with me to stay in compliance.

Agreed. I have a full time 4WD 4Runner that I built for off roading and take this to the mountains for snowboarding. I carry chains for compliance and the only time I’ve been required to use them was two winters ago when Mammoth received a crazy amount of snow that year. Of course I went during one of the many snow dumps and it was R3 conditions in the town of mammoth which requires chains on all vehicles including 4WD with snow tires. What a glorious snowboard season that was!