Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

model 3 75D..... badge thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i see nothing wrong with someone wanting to achieve some consistency with S/X badging styles. That's just an aesthetic consideration and not a "look I have 80kWh under the car" consideration.

At some point, I'll likely put the performance spoiler on my RWD LR, not to be a poser, but because I love the look of the spoiler. If any other owners think I'm a poser, they are entitled to think that.

Right, but the entire point of what you are doing is so that people know you got a more expensive version, which is pretty shallow.

I'm not your gatekeeper, it's your car, do whatever the hell you want... just don't be surprised when you see other owners rolling their eyes about it.

Good, we can agree on that at least.

Again, you want to differentiate it because you're insecure and vain that someone out there might mistake your car for a lower end one. Pretty shallow... but your car, do what you want.

Does it really bother you guys THAT much that someone might mistake your $60K-$75K version of the car for one that someone spent $35K on when those come out next year?

I think you are completely mis-characterizing people who want to put something on there. I don't get the feeling that the OP is saying that purely out of low self esteem; coming from regular cars like Carmy and Corollas where the trim line is printed on there I think it is a question that othersmay ask.

I'd say that says a lot more about you than it says about me when I shrug and giggle about it.

I'm buying the higher end car because it's what I want... I don't give a rat's ass if someone thinks my car only cost $35K.

Not hate so much as thoughts resonating within my brain of "poser".

I think it says a lot about you when you take extreme offense at others wanting to put a badge on the rear of the car. Why are you so uptight and defensive about people wanting to add a few letters to the back of the car? Grow up. Sorry, but Tesla's are not just for you.

Good, we can agree on that at least.

I think you are completely mis-characterizing people who want to put something on there. I don't get the feeling that the OP is saying that purely out of low self esteem; coming from regular cars like Carmy and Corollas where the trim line is printed on there I think it is a question that othersmay ask.

I think it says a lot about you when you take extreme offense at others wanting to put a badge on the rear of the car. Why are you so uptight and defensive about people wanting to add a few letters to the back of the car? Grow up. Sorry, but Tesla's are not just for you.

I will make sure to post a photo of my Model 3 dual motor when I pick it up on Wednesday so you can snipe “Tesla’s are not for you” in response.

You just keep shooting your own arguments in the foot. The M Series does ship with the badges. IT SHIPS WITH THEM. People don't go out and buy badges for their cars. And when they do buy M badges to put on non-M cars they get ridiculed by actual M enthusiasts.

Do yourself a favor and stop trying to justify your insecurities to us. You want badges that don't come on the car just get them and put them on. And if we want to laugh at you we will.

Wow, who says I'm insecure about my model 3? Did I ever say that I was afraid that my poor Model 3 doesn't have LR AWD printed on the back? No I never did. I am just trying to tell you the mindset that others (especially those coming from cars that do come with badges) as to why they may want the badges there or at least ask them in the first place.

In this case we're not even pretending to be something that the OP is not. OP is not even wanting to get like the P100DL badge, OP just wants to put what the car actually has.

I'm putting aftermarket rims, PPF, Tint and chrome delete on my Model 3 for me, and me alone. I am doing it because it's aesthetically pleasing to me. If you like it, that's fine. But I couldn't give two damns what you, or anyone else thinks about my car.

Your need to have badging is nothing more than a sign that says, "Hey look how much money I spent. I didn't just buy the $35,000 model. I bought the $60,000 model. See me? Aren't I cool?"

For someone who cares and claims the car is only for yourself and no one else, you sure take great offence and get triggered by my stance on what I said, and again incorrectly assuming I want the badge too, when that is not the case. Again I'm find with how my car is, just trying to tell you why others may not be.

Please read what I wrote again. I said Teslas are not just for you. Reading comprehension!

OP according to post history owned a wrx, which has badges, hence the question about badges.

And I told you people can do whatever they want with their property and if they ask an opinion about it they are going to get it, even if it’s not one they like.

If a coworker pulled up in a Performance model 3 with a P75D badge they cobbled together on the trunk lid and asked me what I thought about it I’d say the same thing to their face.

Don’t ask for other people’s input if you aren’t ready to hear opinions that don’t validate your crummy ideas.

And I told you people can do whatever they want with their property and if they ask an opinion about it they are going to get it, even if it’s not one they like.

If a coworker pulled up in a Performance model 3 with a P75D badge they cobbled together on the trunk lid and asked me what I thought about it I’d say the same thing to their face.

Don’t ask for other people’s input if you aren’t ready to hear opinions that don’t validate your crummy ideas.

Sure, that's fine, and I'm ok with that, though I would disagree on some level, especially depending on how you treat the person. I just take offense at the part where you assumed that I was some insecure person who feels naked without a badge on the back of the car, when that's not a case.

I think the Dual Motor badge is actually kinda cool and I want it for mine - it was in the design studio when I ordered it so GIVE IT TO ME!!!!

Haha but really. I think it's maybe even better than the AWD badge since it's a talking point for people who don't know much about Teslas. An opportunity to discuss how there are two independent motors, each one capable of driving the entire vehicle unlike an ICE "AWD" which still has only one motor.

An opportunity to educate the unwashed ICE masses (and the washed too).

Reactions: austinmichaeld
Wow, who says I'm insecure about my model 3? Did I ever say that I was afraid that my poor Model 3 doesn't have LR AWD printed on the back? No I never did. I am just trying to tell you the mindset that others (especially those coming from cars that do come with badges) as to why they may want the badges there or at least ask them in the first place.

In this case we're not even pretending to be something that the OP is not. OP is not even wanting to get like the P100DL badge, OP just wants to put what the car actually has.

For someone who cares and claims the car is only for yourself and no one else, you sure take great offence and get triggered by my stance on what I said, and again incorrectly assuming I want the badge too, when that is not the case. Again I'm find with how my car is, just trying to tell you why others may not be.

The OP clearly stated that he wanted "credit" for what he was driving. As @voip-ninja said, opinions were solicited. We provided ours. Frankly, the fewer badges on my car the better. If I were driving a Performance 3 I would tell Tesla that they can keep the Dual Motor badge, because I think it's ugly.

I'll tell you the same thing I'll tell the OP, or anyone else who asks: It's your car, and you can do whatever you want with it. If you want to paint your car bright purple and put daisies all over it, go for it. I would never do it, but different strokes and all. But, if your reason for buying badging is to impress others it's a sign of your own insecurities.

I don't think it will apply much to the Model 3 LR/SR difference, but one advantage of having a 60 badge on my S would be at nearly full Supercharger Stations: my car charges at such low power you want to pair with me! That way you'll get about half power right from the start and more soon because my charge rate tapers rapidly. Bet you didn't know that badges can be useful!

Only problem is that most Supercharger stalls are back-in so you can't see the badges without getting out to look. Oh well. :(

• Funny
Reactions: Pkmmte
I don't think it will apply much to the Model 3 LR/SR difference, but one advantage of having a 60 badge on my S would be at nearly full Supercharger Stations: my car charges at such low power you want to pair with me! That way you'll get about half power right from the start and more soon because my charge rate tapers rapidly. Bet you didn't know that badges can be useful!

Only problem is that most Supercharger stalls are back-in so you can't see the badges without getting out to look. Oh well. :(

stick a 60 on your nosecone :D

Yeah, I'm bummed because there are no badges for rear wheel drive non-p, and all those who are waiting for the small battery won't be able to brag when they get theirs. The children drivers ripping off the line at the light will just think they are just calm, civic-minded, safe drivers.

Right? Right?

man people got heated on this post. lolz. If you buy a M3 and feel the need to put a 75 on it so people know you didnt buy the 35k version go ahead. Every other S and X owner will just be laughing. If you got a PM3 who needs the badge when you can just take off at every red light. people will know then. Actually just put a P100D badge on it then people will think you spent 150k.

The OP clearly stated that he wanted "credit" for what he was driving. As @voip-ninja said, opinions were solicited. We provided ours. Frankly, the fewer badges on my car the better. If I were driving a Performance 3 I would tell Tesla that they can keep the Dual Motor badge, because I think it's ugly.

I'll tell you the same thing I'll tell the OP, or anyone else who asks: It's your car, and you can do whatever you want with it. If you want to paint your car bright purple and put daisies all over it, go for it. I would never do it, but different strokes and all. But, if your reason for buying badging is to impress others it's a sign of your own insecurities.

yes, he wanted credit for what he was driving. but did you see the reasoning for what he wanted?
I know this is going to cause a discussion. I understand that tesla is purposely keeping the battery designation out of the name of the model 3 variants, I am new to the tesla brand. That being said, being someone who is a car lover and anxiously awaiting my model 3 long range dual motor, i see there being some use in the conventional model naming. There will be short range variants, so 3D does nothing to distinguish the range. model 3 310D is a confusing mouthful. I am of the opinion that there isn't a bad model or variant of tesla cars. they are all very impressive and unique. Each one is a part of our life stories and personalities. I am rambling, sure, but don't be surprised if you see a model 3 with a 75D badge, or even a P75D that owners have placed on themselves. Thoughts?......

is it bad to want this on the back of my model 3....poser status... right... cant afford a model S, not gonna lie..

I am not a fan of the DUAL MOTOR badges particularly, but it feels like "the cheap tesla" with no badges at all.

I am anticipating people asking about the car. I will probably put a model 3 badge on the trunk where the model s/x have theirs. If thats lame and I get judged for being a "peasant who needs to feel good about spending $60k on a car" by the rich kids.... cool

It sounds like OP is doing it more so because of coming from other cars that do have badging, not so because "woe is me, my life is ruined because my model 3 doesn't have the battery size listed on the back". And in the last post OP is aware of the judgement received from others and is still going to do it anyways, seems pretty secure of OP's self despite judgement from others here.

I don't have anymore to add here. We've gone in circles long enough. I'll enjoy my car, OP will enjoy their car, and you will enjoy yours. All different, all electric. Just keep in mind that the demographic will be changing a lot over the next couple of years.

I guess it is true most people don't care here, but those who car do reply are a smaller percentage... that's the internet for you. (To be fair I got sucked in too...)

Reactions: austinmichaeld