Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - 95k miles , 4 years , switch to Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2018 or 2019 Model 3 that currently has 95k miles bought in Dec 2018, so it's now 4 years old. I want to consider getting the Model Y due to the current price reduction and potential tax credit. And also I could use the space of the Model Y SUV to do more road trips, haul more arcade prizes, snowboarding, any future recreational activity, hauling any big items.

I checked out the Model Y and I didn't know it has self closing doors, which I thought was a cool feature. I think it's like a slight push and it closes the door itself. Also the trunk opens itself. The wireless charging seems nice, does it fit all iPhones from mini to pro max, it seems my iPhone 13 mini was charging because the NOMAD charger doesn't work very well and I have to angle it.

And the tax credit part, Tesla sales people said they can't advice on that and I must talk to a CPA. And they said it must be below $55k and said there is no way the Performance model can fit that, so it must be base model. I wanted to consider the Performance Model because it only looked like a $4000 difference on the website, before anything else. I also saw a YouTube thumbnail say $45k for Tesla Model Y so does that mean if someone did qualify for the entire tax credit they just only pay $45k, or is that excluding fees / taxes? And that's another thing, how do you know what the other taxes and fees are going to be at the end? I roughly remember the Tesla sales person being like it's $55k for the base Model Y, then after taxes and fees it will be about $59k OTD. And when they say taxes, is it going to be the same tax you pay when going to McDonalds or Best Buy? For most $1 items, tax in Orange County CA will make your item become like $1.08, so for every $1000, that means I'm gonna pay about $80? I just want to be sure when they say tax it just sales tax and not some other kind of added on tax. Then what are "fees", I feel it's just a number made up by car companies to get a little more profit but pretend it's a cost they don't make money from.

My Model 3 is still working fine and it's only 4 years old, but I also felt it's a risk trying to wait around the moment my car needs to be replaced and having no guarantee if there will be some kind of deal to take advantage of. I could use a bigger car though, I just wondering if it will still be fun to drive. Mainly because the Model Y is taller so it's not like close to the ground feeling the Model 3 has.

I hope I could walk out the store with a $45k Tesla Model Y that be a good deal. I will add autopilot and I was told I can add it later so I can get the car cheap enough to qualify for the tax rebate so in a sense I could get free autopilot if I got full tax credit.

^^^
Buy it! It comes with all new parts and a warranty.
Don't worry about the taxes. Move to New Jersey where there is no sales tax and all federal tax discounts still apply
Yeah that's true. My Model 3 is almost reaching it's 120k warranty limits at 95k. I think it be worth it if say my warranty is gone a year from now then had to spend $5k to repair it, I rather put that towards a new Tesla Model Y. Is running a car without warranty a risk if something happens? Like how much money is on the line? How long could someone drive a high mile Tesla (over 120k miles) before they run into some major problem / repair expense?

So far I think I could have paid $0 for the entire life of maintaining the Tesla. Most Tesla services or recalls that had to come were under warranty and were free of charge. The only thing I had to be paid for were changing tires around 50k miles, but that doesn't really count. The BMW M3 had alot more cost and services needed and when it got sold it only had 30k miles. Which is the reason I prefer Tesla you're more likely to pay nothing for maintenance or very little compared to a gas BMW, Lexus, Mercedes.

Oregon has no sales tax, at least of 2017-18, I went to Taco Bell and I only had to hand them exact change ($1, $2, $2.50) no pennies.

You aren't going to "save" money by buying a brand new Model Y vs keeping a 4 year old M3, under warranty or not. Even if you have to spend $5k in maintenance for something(or 10, or even 15) that's a lot cheaper than spending $40k to upgrade to a brand new vehicle. New cars are absolute 100% luxury splurges, not a value decision in any way. If you *want* a MY and can afford it and think it is worth the price, then its ok to buy it. But keeping your M3 is the cheapest option by a long shot.

I just splurged on a brand new M3, but I have no illusions that it was the smart thing to do financially, or a good value. The value option would have been a 2020 Hyundai Ionic PHEV for under $25k with the balance of Hyundai's 10 year warranty, a $4k tax credit, 30 miles EV range and 55-60 mpg in Hybrid mode. So I splurged an additional $40k for the M3. That's $40k that I *can't invest* over the next 6 months or so.

A week after I bought my M3, I ran across an article comparing someone who bought a brand new Model S they day they were released for sale for $77,000, compared to someone who bought $77,000 of Tesla stock on the same day. Today, the guy with the Model S has a 10 year old beat up $35,000 Model S, the other guy has $9,500,000. Just the article I needed to see 😂

You aren't going to "save" money by buying a brand new Model Y vs keeping a 4 year old M3, under warranty or not. Even if you have to spend $5k in maintenance for something(or 10, or even 15) that's a lot cheaper than spending $40k to upgrade to a brand new vehicle. New cars are absolute 100% luxury splurges, not a value decision in any way. If you *want* a MY and can afford it and think it is worth the price, then its ok to buy it. But keeping your M3 is the cheapest option by a long shot.

I just splurged on a brand new M3, but I have no illusions that it was the smart thing to do financially, or a good value. The value option would have been a 2020 Hyundai Ionic PHEV for under $25k with the balance of Hyundai's 10 year warranty, a $4k tax credit, 30 miles EV range and 55-60 mpg in Hybrid mode. So I splurged an additional $40k for the M3. That's $40k that I *can't invest* over the next 6 months or so.

A week after I bought my M3, I ran across an article comparing someone who bought a brand new Model S they day they were released for sale for $77,000, compared to someone who bought $77,000 of Tesla stock on the same day. Today, the guy with the Model S has a 10 year old beat up $35,000 Model S, the other guy has $9,500,000. Just the article I needed to see 😂
As long as I'm aware that I won't really save money and it's more to have SUV space. I think it's more that I want to have an SUV because before I got the Model 3 I was trying to get a small SUV like a Lexus RX but there was no Model Y in Dec 2018 and Model 3 was the only sensible option b/c Model X was too expensive.

I'm going to do the test drive today so I guess I'll see if I truly like it. The only thing I might not like about the Model Y is that it isn't close to the ground feeling like the Model 3, but it has more space to haul stuff. Model 3 gets kind of cumbersome when I have to do a road trip with my arcade friends and we win too much stuff even though we packed light. We redeemed like 40k-50k arcade tickets in small prizes and we left with boxes full of plush / small toys at one arcade. Then repeated the same at many other small arcades and after 3 days we really had to pack it really tight in the trunk and back seats of the Model 3, my friend even compressing the plush in trash bags and pushing them down.

There is a lot to love about the Model Y. If you like the idea of freshening up the technology and utility of the space, I would go for it...

A few thoughts about your comments above:
  • The Model Y Long Range with Acceleration Boost is not that much slower than the Performance - only about a 1/2 second slower 0-60. And, you do not have the hassle of the larger, offset wheels.
  • The latest MCU is quicker and smoother
  • The charger works for all the iPhones I have tested (iPhone 11, 13 Pro, 14 Pro, and 14 Pro Max)
  • The trunk storage is fantastic
  • The doors do not auto-close
  • The cheapest configuration is $52,990, less $7500 is $45490. So yeah, if you qualified (income under $150K/$300K), then the net price is ~$45K.
  • Taxes, delivery, fees, etc. are on top of the $45K price. Every state has different approaches to taxing and charging fees for EVs. I have no clue how CA does it.
  • Tesla's fees are transparent compared to legacy dealerships. Super easy to see your cost before state taxes on the Tesla ordering page.
  • The Model Y is insainely fun to drive. I'm sure the Model 3 Performance is funner, but the MYLR does not give up much and you can haul way more stuff.

Last edited:
There is a lot to love about the Model Y. If you like the idea of freshening up the technology and utility of the space, I would go for it...

A few thoughts about your comments above:
  • The Model Y Long Range with Acceleration Boost is not that much slower than the Performance - only about a 1/2 second slower 0-60. And, you do not have the hassle of the larger, offset wheels.
  • The latest MCU is quicker and smoother
  • The charger works for all the iPhones I have tested (iPhone 11, 13 Pro, 14 Pro, and 14 Pro Max)
  • The trunk storage is fantastic
  • The doors do not auto-close
  • The cheapest configuration is $52,990, less $7500 is $45490. So yeah, if you qualified (income under $150K/$300K), then the net price is ~$45K.
  • Taxes, delivery, fees, etc. are on top of the $45K price. Every state has different approaches to taxing and charging fees for EVs. I have no clue how CA does it.
  • Tesla's fees are transparent compared to legacy dealerships. Super easy to see your cost before state taxes on the Tesla ordering page.
  • The Model Y is insainely fun to drive. I'm sure the Model 3 Performance is funner, but the MYLR does not give up much and you can haul way more stuff.
  • “The doors do not auto-close”
Thank you - for a moment I was wondering if my new ‘23 Y was missing something.