TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 - A surreal story of my soon to be car but probably not soon now

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by selective, Apr 15, 2018.

1. voip-ninja

voip-ninja Give me some sugar baby

Yeah, I know they're allowed to make repairs, the most common things are small scuffs and dings that happen in dealer parking lots. It's too much to expect that they can guarantee that cars have never had a door ding before they're sold new as long as they fix it properly.

A lot of cars that come in from Europe get damaged at port. It's a big enough deal that BMW has an entire service center at their California port location to rework cars that get damaged in transit. However a lot of those cars end up becoming dealer demo units, loaners, etc.

Also as you say it varies by state what they are able to do.

2. selective

selective Member

Update: Spoke with the local delivery manager: So the options are get the existing car fixed which they expect it to take over 3 months due to liability claims, insurance inspectors for evaluation and video footage and finally parts. The second option is to get the new VIN assigned to me which might take about a month per their estimate. The Nevada rep said the new car is in Production but they don't have any concrete date till their system gets updated on it's status.

Looks like option 1 is not really an option really. The car would be held somewhere with minimal care i assume and will be sitting by itself till they sort everything out which is a lose-lose situation.

• Informative x 1
  3. Glamisduner

Glamisduner Active Member

I'll take it, repair it up and send it to me at a discount!

4. idoco

idoco Member

Umm...not just China. Our "first" Model S (3xxx VIN IIRC) was in transit when the car carrier crashed in Nebraska on icy roads!

Ended up reordering from factory. They did offer inventory models, but none had the configuration we wanted. Only was an extra month "way back then".

5. TheLocNar

TheLocNar Member

Good thing it didn't happen right after you signed your life away. I'm sure they'll take care of you. Please keep us updated!

6. selective

selective Member

They kinda said they are working something out for the delay but not sure what it is. Not even sure if they would offer a discount on it if i ask it to be fixed since they have offered an alternative at an earlier timeframe.

Will keep the thread as and when i get more info.

7. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

I’d go with new car. Other is to open ended.

Likely could ask for something along the lines of free service or extended warranty.

8. drawfour

drawfour Member

+1 to both of these. Get the new car, since that's way more concrete than "around 3 months". We know people are getting VINs assigned to them pretty quickly, so even if you're a month out, you're still OK.

Also, getting an extended warranty or some free service seems to be inline with what happened.

9. buttershrimp

buttershrimp Click my signature to Go Mad Max Mode

My car was hit by a driver while being unloaded from the transporter, and the bumper had to be replaced before I ever saw the car. All after 3 months of waiting, and it almost made Buttershrimp walk away before knowing the ecstasy that is tesla ownership.. I had an unbelievable salesperson that helped me through it.

The best decision I ever made was to move ahead and purchase the car. Service has gone out of their way, and I've become a lifelong fan. These things happen believe it or not. I think the rebar injury gives the car character.

I'd just ask for free lifetime supercharging.

10. drawfour

drawfour Member

You had to wait another 3 months for the car to be repaired instead of them just getting you a new VIN? Wow. Did they offer anything else to say "I'm sorry" like free service/warranty, or pay for a tint job, or something?

I mean, I realize it was not their fault, much like this rebar incident doesn't appear to be, either. But they should do something to make up for the angst. :)

11. Zero CO2

Zero CO2 a long term goal

Rear Glass and rear seat... is the only damage correct?

why not get them to discount the car ... throw in free supercharging... etc.... you get the idea
    this way you already have your first damage out of the way,
    you get to start driving your M3 now vs. having to wait longer
    glass repair should be straightforward....
    you can wait for the seat to be replaced ( in the Service center) i would assume

12. alloverx

alloverx Member

Glad no person was hit by the flying rebar.

• Like x 1
  13. Reddy Kilowatt

Replace the window and just put a little duct tape on the back seat you'll be fine. :eek:

IF that rod made it down into the battery pack, I would bet they total the car. Were I got the opti- coat put on my Model S there is a Audi /VW "Learning Center" next door. they bring in the damaged cars and turn the mechanics loose on them tearing them apart. They had a new 911/ audi equal in there bright red paint in a million pieces.

I special ordered a pick up truck for towing. After waiting six weeks for it to arrive, it fell of the delivery truck Really smashed the rear quarter panel. I could have waited for a replacement truck for yet another 8 weeks. The dealer called me down and bent over backwards to repair the truck guaranteed the truck paint job for 10 years and free Linex in the bed for my trouble. I took the repaired truck and never had an issue, the repaired panel paint held up fine its 11 years old.

• Like x 1