Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 AC only works on "LO" temperature setting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I took my 6 months old model 3 MR that has (had and later updated to 4.1) 2019.20.2.1 to grocery shopping.

Turned on AC and had temp setting on 73F but only fan turned on and started blowing air (hot due to afternoon time).

Tried all different permutations and combinations (Auto, turn on, off, hard reset car etc.) but AC did not work.

Talked to support but he said there is no red flags in log and just try updating the software to 4.1 which I did but still nothing.

While playing with the settings, noticed that the AC cooling effect starts when I reduce the temperature setting all the way to LO (Lowest temp I can set).

Created a service appointment but it's not happening until July 3rd.

I believe it is some kind of software glitch. When I park and click on climate button, I see the DOG mode setting (ON or OFF etc.) but that screen is grayed out.

Everything was working (as far I remember) until Friday that's when I last drove the car. Since AC works at LO, that means seems like some temperature sensor issue or some software issue.

When I tried to turn on the climate via mobile app, message says, "Failed to turn on Climate".

Anyway, is there any way to expedite the appointment? I worry about daily cabin overheat issue as I park outside when I go to work and if AC does not work then it can cause issue.

Consider the possibility of a bad wiring harness in the windshield pod. Symptoms you describe sound like they are related to a temperature sensor communications failure. I speak from experience.

Easy fix once SC has the replacement part.
Thanks. I am just thinking of driving to SC without appointment. This is really annoying that the AC in summer does not work.

That’s not a hard reset But these cars don’t have a hard reset as it’s normally defined, just a way to reset options to factory. There is no memory that is erased during this process. It just literally changes the settings around.

Holding down the wheel scroll wheels is the ONLY way to do any kind of reset to the MCU. The factory reset and shut down options don’t actually even reset anything