Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 AC Smell Update...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
this is design issue. no way to fix it permanently. both of my 2012 and 2009 golf made same smell. my the 2019 golf never has such issue because VW fixed it in design.
Do you know what actually changed?
The only thing I found related is the an intake cover in the earlier Golf being flimsy and possibly letting water directly drip into the cabin filter if it was warped a bit:

That is not the issue with the Model 3 it seems though, because the cases don't typically have to do with outside water dripping into the cabin filter.

Reactions: WhiteWi
I would like to buy the plastic rivet clip that goes under the glove box.
As stated earlier, there are holes for 4 of them, my 2021 had only 3.
Does anyone know the Tesla part number or who have bought the right size plastic rivet clip?
Not sure if you found them or if they might be in this box, but I bought one similar to this one for all the missing clips and have good luck finding one close enough so far. I have used far too many in the past few years :)

Not sure if you found them or if they might be in this box, but I bought one similar to this one for all the missing clips and have good luck finding one close enough so far. I have used far too many in the past few years :)

Have not found it yet.
I saw that on Amazon and it is an option.
I may wait until my tires need rotation and have them do it at my home and ask the tech for the rivet piece.

Do you know what actually changed?
The only thing I found related is the an intake cover in the earlier Golf being flimsy and possibly letting water directly drip into the cabin filter if it was warped a bit:

That is not the issue with the Model 3 it seems though, because the cases don't typically have to do with outside water dripping into the cabin filter.

Here is another example, Toyota warranty repair. It's the only other vehicle we had with this problem (Stinky AC), it includes the part numbers: http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/johnduh/2010-04-02_042552_T-SB-0378-09.pdf

Someone can probably get access to the part diagrams.

Here is another example, Toyota warranty repair. It's the only other vehicle we had with this problem (Stinky AC), it includes the part numbers: http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/johnduh/2010-04-02_042552_T-SB-0378-09.pdf

Someone can probably get access to the part diagrams.
Thanks for the link. That's a TSB, not a recall by the way, which means it is optional for Toyota to do and if you are out of warranty Toyota does not have to do it even if requested.
Also people complaining about the smell seem to say even with a VIN with the new evaporator, the same issue remains.
HVAC Odor TSB 0378-09

It seems they just replaced the evaporator core 88501-02220 vs 88501-02221, but I couldn't find any actual pictures of either model, only generic pictures where it's not possible to see what really was changed.

Reactions: WhiteWi
Thanks for the link. That's a TSB, not a recall by the way, which means it is optional for Toyota to do and if you are out of warranty Toyota does not have to do it even if requested.
Also people complaining about the smell seem to say even with a VIN with the new evaporator, the same issue remains.
HVAC Odor TSB 0378-09

It seems they just replaced the evaporator core 88501-02220 vs 88501-02221, but I couldn't find any actual pictures of either model, only generic pictures where it's not possible to see what really was changed.

Yes, as I stated it is a warranty repair. That thread documents the level of work for the repair, it was not insignificant.

Also there where two people that complained in that thread, the first was complaining about a sulfer smell while driving. That's a completely different problem. The AC stink is a different smell (usually described as vinegar/sweet/sweaty feet and time (when turning on the AC, it goes away after the initial blast of stink).

They second was not conclusive at all. All the other comments where regarding that it did fix their issues and even if it was "just the EVAP core" required major labor and tear down.

In short it was a real problem, required a new design, required major work, and was warranty covered.

As having been an owner of a 2008 RAV4, 2018 Model 3, and 2021 Model Y they all have the exact same summer smell (not sulfer).

None of our other dozen or so vehicles have. I find that hard to believe it's "just by chance" that the M3/MY have this problem "by chance" every single summer without fail.

Yes, as I stated it is a warranty repair. That thread documents the level of work for the repair, it was not insignificant.

Also there where two people that complained in that thread, the first was complaining about a sulfer smell while driving. That's a completely different problem. The AC stink is a different smell (usually described as vinegar/sweet/sweaty feet and time (when turning on the AC, it goes away after the initial blast of stink).

They second was not conclusive at all. All the other comments where regarding that it did fix their issues and even if it was "just the EVAP core" required major labor and tear down.

In short it was a real problem, required a new design, required major work, and was warranty covered.

As having been an owner of a 2008 RAV4, 2018 Model 3, and 2021 Model Y they all have the exact same summer smell (not sulfer).

None of our other dozen or so vehicles have. I find that hard to believe it's "just by chance" that the M3/MY have this problem "by chance" every single summer without fail.
I don't think it's completely solved in Toyota's case. The Prius and various hybrids had a similar TSB in 2009, but they later issued other TSBs that said the smell was not able to be eliminated (and it suggested the same thing of regular carbon impregnated filter changes and coil cleaning as necessary).
Toyota Air Conditioner Smells Like Mold

This TSB was just from 2020:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10172826-9999.pdf

You can see in Prius forums the same complaints for models well after the Prius evaporator was revised in 2009, so that didn't appear to solve the issue.
A/C startup vinegar aroma?

I don't think it's completely solved in Toyota's case. The Prius and various hybrids had a similar TSB in 2009, but they later issued other TSBs that said the smell was not able to be eliminated (and it suggested the same thing of regular carbon impregnated filter changes and coil cleaning as necessary).
Toyota Air Conditioner Smells Like Mold

This TSB was just from 2020:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10172826-9999.pdf

You can see in Prius forums the same complaints for models well after the Prius evaporator was revised in 2009, so that didn't appear to solve the issue.
A/C startup vinegar aroma?

That's not a warranty repair. I have also owned Toyota Camera, Celica, MR2, and Sienna (same house / environment). I am familiar with the occasional stink and time to replace the cabin filters.

The RAV4 issue was different.

In those threads you linked to most solutions were "change the filter", one off, or things Tesla already does (turn off recirc when finished driving). Some where also complaining about different issues like smells during cool weather? I tried all those things with the RAV4 including sprays and ozone treatments. None ever lasted, until the warranty repair. Same as the Tesla... I have tired ALL of the tricks. This year I did a clean and replace at the beginning of the summer and the stink still came back by the end of the summer.

I'm glad most people don't have this problem, I have no clue why we have it consistently and ONLY (for us) on the Teslas and the pre-repaired RAV4.

If this happened every other summer on every other Tesla .. okay I get it ... But twice a year on two different cars? Hmmm..

I would gladly try anything ... I have tried about everything I can think of. A treatment and filter change does temporarily fix it and except for this year would last through the summer months.

this is design issue. no way to fix it permanently. both of my 2012 and 2009 golf made same smell. my the 2019 golf never has such issue because VW fixed it in design.

Not sure VW fixed it. Many complaints about MK7 Golfs with this issue. My 2017 GTI developed it at about 1 year @ 10k miles and multiple attempts to clean the coils and change filters haven’t completely solved it. Every Audi I’ve ever been in that’s more than a year old has smelled musty. VW recommends a “Wynns” machine to remedy the issue. This is essentially an ozone machine that also atomizes alcohol into the AC system.

Idk about Toyota. They settled a large lawsuit recently about this issue as did Mercedes. Of course that doesn’t mean the issue is exclusive to those brands, just that someone sued them.

If you look at the AC design in the model 3 there are several issues that seem like they would lead to this type of problem. The filters are nearly touching the AC evaporator and likely absorb moisture, the drain “pan” literally is touching the bottom of the filter, and there are two filters stacked which leaves a gap between the two for particles to pass through and contaminate the evaporator.

I do wonder if the new model Y with bioweapon/HEPA will suffer the same issues. In theory that is a better design if for no other reason than the filter seems to be in the cowl area and not on top of the evaporator and a single large HEPA filter would likely prevent contamination of the evaporator with organic matter to rot and smell. I guess time will tell.

Honestly, this is the one issue that has kept me from buying a model 3. I hope they start offerring bioweapon mode in the 3. They claim there isn’t room in the cowl/drunk area but I think the model Y isn’t that much bigger. Seems they could solve it by adding more pleats or depth to the filter (or both).

Last edited:
Reactions: android04
My Tesla Smells New Again! (FULL TUTORIAL/ Exploring the HVAC system

This video does a really good job of showing how the bottom part of the model 3 bottom filter basically touches the area where the water drains (and the foam insulation for the evaporator). Also the drain hole has no tube and faces forward, I wonder if there is some air ram effect that keeps the water from draining fast enough when the car is moving forward or even blows it back against the filter.

That's not a warranty repair. I have also owned Toyota Camera, Celica, MR2, and Sienna (same house / environment). I am familiar with the occasional stink and time to replace the cabin filters.

The RAV4 issue was different.

In those threads you linked to most solutions were "change the filter", one off, or things Tesla already does (turn off recirc when finished driving). Some where also complaining about different issues like smells during cool weather? I tried all those things with the RAV4 including sprays and ozone treatments. None ever lasted, until the warranty repair. Same as the Tesla... I have tired ALL of the tricks. This year I did a clean and replace at the beginning of the summer and the stink still came back by the end of the summer.

I'm glad most people don't have this problem, I have no clue why we have it consistently and ONLY (for us) on the Teslas and the pre-repaired RAV4.

If this happened every other summer on every other Tesla .. okay I get it ... But twice a year on two different cars? Hmmm..

I would gladly try anything ... I have tried about everything I can think of. A treatment and filter change does temporarily fix it and except for this year would last through the summer months.
I'm just pointing out that with a similar fix to the Prius (using a different evaporator) it didn't seem to do anything. And it's not clear what they changed in the design and if it is applicable to Tesla. In looking it up, some techs say they coat evaporators in a mold inhibiting coating to address such issues, so maybe that has to do with it, but obviously it doesn't really solve the problem for everyone (and not everyone has the same problem).

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
To add some anecdata, I had this issue crop up in my 21 and the smell was eliminated with only the filter change, and a sniff test definitely showed the smell was coming from the bottom of the lower filter where it would get wet from improper drainage, or just being too close to the drainage point.

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
Since I feel like I've tried "every trick in the book" since 2018 on Model 3 / Y, here is my new game plan.

1. I'm going to do a clean and change this fall after the weather cools down, rather than in the spring/summer
2. I'm going to use two cans of cleaner, and use the second can NOT on the coils
3. I'm going to use the fake HEPA filters with the foam surround

By all accounts still things to do, but my reasoning

1. By doing the cleaning in the cooler months w/o the A/C there will be more "dwell time" for the cleaner to do it's job vs. waiting until it's more humid and the AC is working that will "wash away" the cleaner. Usually I did it in the spring early summer when I started to smell it ... this year it didn't even last the full summer so I hesitated to do it "too soon." This time I'm going to have the cleaner sit basically the whole winter and hopefully kill those stubborn mold spores.

2. Some people are reporting that just replacing the filters fixes the problem. Also in my case the stink is only there when you initially turn on the ac/fan. This suggests that the smell could be coming BEFORE the filters and the filters are doing their job. If using one can as directed (top down on the coils) and letting the cleaner drip down, it may not be getting all of that "forward" gunk, and the angle of the coils doesn't look like it will really clean anything forward the filters. So my second can I'm going to clean the lower foam trim area, around the drain hole, and a bit more forward (vs. on the coils). See this video for a good view ...

3. One theory is that (see video) is the foam trim is causing the problem. If condensation from the coils is hitting the foam trim and then dripping onto the filter area then a filter that is wrapped there would not soak up that moisture. @WhiteWi recommended these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085HX67ZX Yes, they are way more expensive, but I'de rather have the convenience and not deal with the smell.

I'll let you know how it goes (in a year). If this lets me get through the summer and I don't have to change filters in the sweltering Texas heat, it's a win.

Reactions: Enginerd
Since I feel like I've tried "every trick in the book" since 2018 on Model 3 / Y, here is my new game plan.

1. I'm going to do a clean and change this fall after the weather cools down, rather than in the spring/summer
2. I'm going to use two cans of cleaner, and use the second can NOT on the coils

1. By doing the cleaning in the cooler months w/o the A/C there will be more "dwell time" for the cleaner to do it's job vs. waiting until it's more humid and the AC is working that will "wash away" the cleaner. Usually I did it in the spring early summer when I started to smell it ... this year it didn't even last the full summer so I hesitated to do it "too soon." This time I'm going to have the cleaner sit basically the whole winter and hopefully kill those stubborn mold spores.

2. Some people are reporting that just replacing the filters fixes the problem. Also in my case the stink is only there when you initially turn on the ac/fan. This suggests that the smell could be coming BEFORE the filters and the filters are doing their job. If using one can as directed (top down on the coils) and letting the cleaner drip down, it may not be getting all of that "forward" gunk, and the angle of the coils doesn't look like it will really clean anything forward the filters. So my second can I'm going to clean the lower foam trim area, around the drain hole, and a bit more forward (vs. on the coils). See this video for a good view ...

3. One theory is that (see video) is the foam trim is causing the problem. If condensation from the coils is hitting the foam trim and then dripping onto the filter area then a filter that is wrapped there would not soak up that moisture. @WhiteWi recommended these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085HX67ZX Yes, they are way more expensive, but I'de rather have the convenience and not deal with the smell.

I'll let you know how it goes (in a year). If this lets me get through the summer and I don't have to change filters in the sweltering Texas heat, it's a win.
We do have slight smell sometimes after heavy rains but it is usually gone after couple of minutes of AC running. Just be be clear. But most of the time it is not present. We also keep car in garage and wife has been working from home past 1.5 year. So take my experience with grain of salt and results may vary.

Try also running the heater on full hot and high blower for about 10 minutes on non-recirculate. I notice the odor is at its worst with heat and after the cleaning procedure I ran first blower (no compressor) for 20 with all vents open on high (I used Klima) then heater for 10 to kill off and dry out anything. I was starting to get the smell back after about a month so I ran the heater at full/high again and when do with to recirculate and added a couple of puffs of Ozium into the right foot well so the system would pick it up. Kept the car closed. This morning no scent. I used to spray Ozium into the intake from the top but found that left residue on the intake area. When you remove the filters see if the condenser is wet. I noted that when I removed the filters and gently touched the condenser it was still wet. That is why after the process I now run no recirculate (if able for temperature) and weekly full heat.