Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 AC Smell Update...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Try also running the heater on full hot and high blower for about 10 minutes on non-recirculate. I notice the odor is at its worst with heat and after the cleaning procedure I ran first blower (no compressor) for 20 with all vents open on high (I used Klima) then heater for 10 to kill off and dry out anything. I was starting to get the smell back after about a month so I ran the heater at full/high again and when do with to recirculate and added a couple of puffs of Ozium into the right foot well so the system would pick it up. Kept the car closed. This morning no scent. I used to spray Ozium into the intake from the top but found that left residue on the intake area. When you remove the filters see if the condenser is wet. I noted that when I removed the filters and gently touched the condenser it was still wet. That is why after the process I now run no recirculate (if able for temperature) and weekly full heat.

I have done various forms of ozone (cans and generators) as well as sprays (Lysol, etc), and also have run high heat. It does work but doesn't last.

I get you point though. If I can't find a solution that will last a year then I will have to find some regular maintenance return as you suggest.

So I changed the filters today and dropped one of the push clips that's under the dash. It seemed to go under the passenger seat, but when I reached under to grab it, it disappeared. So far I haven't been able to see where it ended up. Any ideas? I'm pretty sure it was under the passenger seat at some point.

Well I did it myself...and the screw fell into the car. Luckily no rattling..and there is no retrieving it for sure where it dropped. So I taped up that plastic cover.... So I'm ready again to replace the filters and do the can of Kool It... BUT does anyone know if I can replace that screw at HD or Lowes? Or get one that fits that does not use that crazy screwdriver head type?

By the way .. next Time I am getting THREAD and tying it to the screw so that if it does drop..I can retrieve it and then once its screwed in I can either ignore it and see if it breaks from contact or just cut off the extra after I'm done.
Try replacing with this from Amazon

I have found after foaming the condenser along with new filters to park the car in Non-Recirculate. The fan comes on a low setting a few minutes after parking to dry the condenser. I try to run with recirculate off while driving but if automatic needs recirculate I allow it but make sure I park with it off to allow outside air to dry the condenser.

Try replacing with this from Amazon

I have found after foaming the condenser along with new filters to park the car in Non-Recirculate. The fan comes on a low setting a few minutes after parking to dry the condenser. I try to run with recirculate off while driving but if automatic needs recirculate I allow it but make sure I park with it off to allow outside air to dry the condenser.
That is an old post... I did some research back then and I do now have that screw in the car. I got the Tesla repair person to do it when I had it in for service.

Reactions: Flybyglass
I have to read this thread now. Mine stinks!!
Decided to have mobile service come and do it for me.

ADDC4E8E-1BA1-4BCB-A51E-8E7182EB7599.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311 and KenC
humidity doesnt have anything to do with stinky AC. I and many other live(ed) in the tropics where its 35C all day long and humidity so bad it makes leving without aircon impossible. No stinky AC.

Humidity is what enables moisture to build up on the evaporator and other AC components (plus summer is when people use their AC), and if you're talking about a home AC system that is quite a different set-up than a car. I'd bet people who live in Las Vegas don't really have the stinky AC problem for example.

Humidity is what enables moisture to build up on the evaporator and other AC components (plus summer is when people use their AC), and if you're talking about a home AC system that is quite a different set-up than a car. I'd bet people who live in Las Vegas don't really have the stinky AC problem for example.

I am talking about my Tesla which sits in this climate all day long (FNQ climate). And many other Teslas are in the tropics and dont have this problem either. if stinky ac is a humidty problem then all teslas should have it. so in that case its either a designflaw with poor quality control affecting only a few cars or smth else.

Last edited:
Reactions: XPsionic
I am talking about my Tesla which sits in this climate all day long (FNQ climate). And many other Teslas are in the tropics and dont have this problem either. if stinky ac is a humidty problem then all teslas should have it. so in that case its either a designflaw with poor quality control affecting only a few cars or smth else.

Humidity causes the problem, that's why it doesn't show up in winter. Not saying if its humid then you automatically get the stink, but it's a required factor for the moisture to form. And also what are you proposing is the cause? Im guessing something about not turning off the AC before turning off the car like you'd do in an old car, yet that is something Tesla claimed they had addressed via software years ago.

Humidity causes the problem, that's why it doesn't show up in winter. Not saying if its humid then you automatically get the stink, but it's a required factor for the moisture to form. And also what are you proposing is the cause? Im guessing something about not turning off the AC before turning off the car like you'd do in an old car, yet that is something Tesla claimed they had addressed via software years ago.

all im saying is that stinky AC isnt an issue for most teslas in humid environments. the cars affected likely have a broken AC of some sort.