Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 AC Smell Update...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am talking about my Tesla which sits in this climate all day long (FNQ climate). And many other Teslas are in the tropics and dont have this problem either. if stinky ac is a humidty problem then all teslas should have it. so in that case its either a designflaw with poor quality control affecting only a few cars or smth else.
Do you park outside or in a garage? That seems to change things (two possible reasons: cabin temps may reach much higher and relative humidity may be different comparing both cases, even for someone living in the same climate). There are a lot of variables to this.

I have a new set of filters sitting here, will make time in the next day or so to install, but I'm thinking maybe I should score some cleaner while I'm doing it, just to be thorough.

Swapped them out, pretty easy. My originals were pretty nasty, the lower filter was actually stuck, had some mold on the bottom edge. I used a couple of cleaners, a milder one all the way from the intake under the hood, then some directly in the filter area designed to nuke mold. Then ran the heater at full tilt to dry everything up, installed the two new filters, ran the AC for about an hour.

Smells clean, fresh, even after 24+ hours, the AC has no smell at all.

Three push pins, a push/snap type panel, and a single T15 fastener, super easy, I may put this on a 6 months maintenance rotation (this is the first time since I picked up the car, so 16 months, and a significant amount of wet/hot/humid weather.

Also fixed - while I was knocking around on the interior - a weird buzzing[?], fluttering sound that was coming from the passenger vent. After reading about some folks who described the same sound and who determined it was just something in the vent area, I figured, I'd give it a look. Just two panels on the end of the dash area and a good pull up and the whole front dash panels comes off.

Sure enough, there was a sticker, like a part or assembly tag, about 2-3" long, stuck to the underside of the dash, just barely on one end, in the path of the airflow, remove it and that issue is fixed too :)

Three push pins, a push/snap type panel, and a single T15 fastener, super easy, I may put this on a 6 months maintenance rotation (this is the first time since I picked up the car, so 16 months, and a significant amount of wet/hot/humid weather.
Is there a video that can walk someone like me, who has done nothing but change air filters in our home AC unit? Something like 'how to change light bulbs for dummies', type of video.

Is there a video that can walk someone like me, who has done nothing but change air filters in our home AC unit? Something like 'how to change light bulbs for dummies', type of video.

There are! Dozens of them on YouTube, I reviewed a few before starting, just started with a "Replace AC filter Tesla Model 3" search.

It's really very easy, the worst part is sort of standing on your head :D It's two plastic panels and one screw.

If you want a little assistance with push pins, trim panels, etc., I'd highly recommend something like this, super handy, only $10:

Dealing with Interior panels is always a little cringy, you have to exert a decent amount of force, but then it feels like you're breaking something, but the videos will give you some confidence how thing come apart.

Oh, FWIW, because I wanted them sooner-than-possible, I went with some aftermarket filters:

$22.99 minus 5% (at the moment), delivery in a day or two. Comparing them to the OEM part, they seemed nearly identical.

There are! Dozens of them on YouTube, I reviewed a few before starting, just started with a "Replace AC filter Tesla Model 3" search.

It's really very easy, the worst part is sort of standing on your head :D It's two plastic panels and one screw.

If you want a little assistance with push pins, trim panels, etc., I'd highly recommend something like this, super handy, only $10:

Dealing with Interior panels is always a little cringy, you have to exert a decent amount of force, but then it feels like you're breaking something, but the videos will give you some confidence how thing come apart.

Oh, FWIW, because I wanted them sooner-than-possible, I went with some aftermarket filters:

$22.99 minus 5% (at the moment), delivery in a day or two. Comparing them to the OEM part, they seemed nearly identical.
Also a DIY

Model 3 Do It Yourself | Tesla