Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Accessories

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am also interested to hear your feedback on the product quality and also the effectiveness. Some feedback on Amazon I've seen is that it does work to quieten the wind noise but the tubing doesn't stay put and pops out frequently.
No worries, I plan to do a lot of testing on my Model 3 :)

TBH, I am most excited to install the Power Lift Gate.

Had a big shipment from abstract Ocean arrive today with lots of accessories. Have to say their customer support and service is beyond phenomenal! From order to delivery in 5 days with UPS express and they clearly hand pick the better of the Tesla accessories out there. They also responded to any queries literally within minutes.

No affiliation with them but after some other eBay experiences during the same week with other sellers I found the abstract ocean support a breath of fresh air.

If you use them make sure you find one for the coupons out there that give you 15% off your order. They deserve support for the service they provide to the community.

Yes but 3 phase is currently the only way to charge at least with 32A at most places in the outback in Australia as you can charge at camping grounds. No Type 2 or any EV charging there.
Correct - and the best way to get 16 AMP 3 phase which is the max the 3 will take is a version 1 UMC.
The Juicebooster thingo is too dear and the Tesla wall unit is too big to carry in a 3 (OK in a classic S).
Pity version 2 of the UMC is a waste of time.

Correct - and the best way to get 16 AMP 3 phase which is the max the 3 will take is a version 1 UMC.
The Juicebooster thingo is too dear and the Tesla wall unit is too big to carry in a 3 (OK in a classic S).
Pity version 2 of the UMC is a waste of time.

well unfortunately there is no way to get the version 1 of the umc currently with your model 3. i have seen a few usa ones second hand (obviously with the wrong plug) which are fairly pricey and you might as well fork the 2100 aud out for a juicebooster in that case...

Last edited:
Anyone got any idea about charging cables?

I'm thinking
Type 2 - Type 2 cable from somewhere chinese and cheap. Just in case the DC charger is broken.
euro 3 phase tail + 20A and 32A Aus 3 phase adapter ?

Well "cheap" is probably not a word you should use when dealing with high voltages plugged into your $100K car that contains a lithium battery. But this is the Type 2 cable I bought after someone else's recommendation on this forum and I can vouch it is top notch quality. What got me over the line is that the cable seems to have CE and TUV Rheiland certification which at least makes you think it should be fairly good.

US $108.8 15% OFF|32A Three phase EV Cable Type 2 to Type 2 IEC 62196 2 EV Charging Plug With 5 Meter cable TUV/UL Mennekes 2 Connector-in Chargers & Service Equipment from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

So I was bored waiting, and was looking for a small project to distract me...

Here is my charging kit:
- Type2 - Type2 (with bag): Should get frequent use to top up on free three phase power at the local supermarkets etc.
- Tesla UMC V2 single phase: Fit any of the five plugs shown as required.
- Tesla Wall Charger, three phase: Fit any of the five plugs shown as required.
Charging Options.JPG

The UMC V2 Adapter
The single phase UMC V2 requires a few different plugs. I would also prefer a RCD and waterproof enclosure for safety.
I purchased the 30A 'UMC to 6-50' adaptor from Tesla and the 6-50R socket from Amazon.
I found the 6-50R socket was really poor quality so all the more reason to seal it up in an enclosure.

Thoughts:
Type2-Type2 and bag: This is small and should get lots of use => Happy.
Tesla Wall Charger + 56 Series 32A Three Phase plug(s): Allows up to 11kW charging. Bulky to carry => Undecided.
Tesla UMC V2 + Waterproof Adaptor + Plug(s): Allows up to 7kW charging. Bulky to carry => Meh / Maybe useful.

Conclusion:
Looking at Plug Share, most of NZ South Island is covered by ChargeNet's 50kW chargers, or at least Type2 AC.
I probably would not go down this rabbit hole again :(

So I was bored waiting, and was looking for a small project to distract me...

Here is my charging kit:
- Type2 - Type2 (with bag): Should get frequent use to top up on free three phase power at the local supermarkets etc.
- Tesla UMC V2 single phase: Fit any of the five plugs shown as required.
- Tesla Wall Charger, three phase: Fit any of the five plugs shown as required.
View attachment 443273

The UMC V2 Adapter
The single phase UMC V2 requires a few different plugs. I would also prefer a RCD and waterproof enclosure for safety.
I purchased the 30A 'UMC to 6-50' adaptor from Tesla and the 6-50R socket from Amazon.
I found the 6-50R socket was really poor quality so all the more reason to seal it up in an enclosure.

Thoughts:
Type2-Type2 and bag: This is small and should get lots of use => Happy.
Tesla Wall Charger + 56 Series 32A Three Phase plug(s): Allows up to 11kW charging. Bulky to carry => Undecided.
Tesla UMC V2 + Waterproof Adaptor + Plug(s): Allows up to 7kW charging. Bulky to carry => Meh / Maybe useful.

Conclusion:
Looking at Plug Share, most of NZ South Island is covered by ChargeNet's 50kW chargers, or at least Type2 AC.
I probably would not go down this rabbit hole again :(

Your set up is amazing.

Say you had a friend who has no clue about putting together domestic/industrial electrical gear together (and would frankly be dangerous). Could that friend get a similar result by buying a T2 to T2 cable and a Juice Booster 2 with a variety of tails, albeit at much greater cost?

And when plugging in to random points in shopping centres would it be wise to check with the management first, given that the hypothetical friend may also be rubbish at being inconspicuous.

Your set up is amazing.

Say you had a friend who has no clue about putting together domestic/industrial electrical gear together (and would frankly be dangerous). Could that friend get a similar result by buying a T2 to T2 cable and a Juice Booster 2 with a variety of tails, albeit at much greater cost?

And when plugging in to random points in shopping centres would it be wise to check with the management first, given that the hypothetical friend may also be rubbish at being inconspicuous.
Juice Booster
If money was no issue, a three phase Juice Booster with a selection of plugs would be the ideal solution.
(Or a Tesla UMC V1 which I understand supports three phase)

Wiring 56 Series Plugs etc
I am an electrical engineer, so I do a lot of three phase wiring in my day job.

Type2
I purchased the Type2 to Type2 cable as is and think it should be the most useful.
In NZ, free Type2 charging is provided for anyone to use, but you do need an RF ID to unlock it.
Type2 sockets can be found on Plug Share, typically at supermarkets or the local electricity supply offices.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman