Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - Accident, Frustration, and Looming Repairs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dear Tesla Friends,

In March 2015, we took delivery on our Model S. Best car we've ever owned.
In March 2016, we put our deposit down on a Model 3.

Finally, in August 2018, we took delivery of our Model 3 as our second car. All electric family (after trading in our 'almost' all electric volt, during normal usage).

One mile off the lot, with 6 miles on the ODO, a driver who just spaced out for a moment rear ended us while we were stopped in traffic. ~30-40mph, no brake application on the other drivers part.

I feel like we might have the lowest mileage M3 to be in an accident, but of course that's hard to say.

Pictures of some of the damage is attached. We escaped with no major injuries (a little bruised from the seat belts, but no airbag deployment).

The person who hit us went to the hospital, they were pretty shaken up, but will probably be ok in the end (though their car and pocketbook may not be...).

I'm already gathering my wits and resources for the looming fight with insurance. This ended up affecting 4 vehicles (hers, ours, and 2 up from us due to the force of the impact). It's unclear what limits she may have on her policy, but if it's the minimum for the state, or even average for the state, she will likely run dry.

Things I am concerned about, and if folks have thoughts, suggestions, or better yet, experiences (bonus points for being in the state of Maryland), I'd love to hear them.

1: Diminished value - BRAND NEW CAR, will never get to drive it actually new. Unlikely to be totaled. If the at-fault driver doesn't have enough insurance, that means requesting them to pay directly, or suing if they don't. :(
2: Damage repair times... (tesla parts... eep)
3: Car rental times - this is, less of an issue because we do have another car, and I work from home. But I do have places to go at times during the day, meetings, etc. Logistics aren't an issue here, it's just having to pay out of pocket if the other drivers limits are low, and 'my' insurance company only covers 30 days.
4: Loss of Use claims?

Ultimately, the good thing is that everyone is ok (or should be, I really think the woman who hit us will be alright). The Model 3 handled everything like a champ. The impact was greatly absorbed by the rear bumper, just as it should have been. The front of our car beat the crap out of the van in front of us, and took minimal damage (a small bumper crack and hood scrape).

I'm sad, pissed off, a little stressed, and just defeated after waiting for so long only to have what should have been the end of a journey, turn into the beginning of another thing I have to deal with.

Solidarity and all that, and thanks for reading.

Attachments

• front_damage.jpg
    front_damage.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 577
  • impact_point_3.jpg
    impact_point_3.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 546
  • left_rear_quarter.jpg
    left_rear_quarter.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 541
  • right_rear_mid.jpg
    right_rear_mid.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 540
  • impact_point_1.jpg
    impact_point_1.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 543
I suspect there is more damage under the front bumper cover than you think...

Make sure you bring up all four of those items, though #3 and #4 are really the same thing, when you talk to the insurance company as that may help push them to totaling your car.

The other option is to use your own insurance and then let them deal with the third-party insurance or collecting directly from the other driver.

I am glad to see that the Model 3 held up so well to that kind of an impact, we have seen other impacts where the speed was claimed to be similar, with similar damage, and we wondered if it was true since we didn't see the other car. Here we can see that it looks like her car really took a lot of the force of the impact...

Reactions: MXWing
This is terrible to see. Glad everyone is okay. What a horrible and disappointing day.

You may want to double check with your insurance. Some include full replacement policies on new cars. I’m not sure the terms but if the cars is in accident within the first year they will buy you a full replacement car no matter the damage.

• Informative
Reactions: 1375mlm
This is terrible to see. Glad everyone is okay. What a horrible and disappointing day.

You may want to double check with your insurance. Some include full replacement policies on new cars. I’m not sure the terms but if the cars is in accident within the first year they will buy you a full replacement car no matter the damage.

Yeah, unfortunately, not in this case. I do have new car replacement insurance, but it only kicks in, in the event of a total loss. (Which seems unlikely, but I will push best I can for it!)

Yeah, unfortunately, not in this case. I do have new car replacement insurance, but it only kicks in, in the event of a total loss. (Which seems unlikely, but I will push best I can for it!)

In that case, I would be getting a baseball bat out..;). Maybe you need to find a hailstorm somewhere.

How totally maddening and disappointing. Good luck.

Dear Tesla Friends,

In March 2015, we took delivery on our Model S. Best car we've ever owned.
In March 2016, we put our deposit down on a Model 3.

Finally, in August 2018, we took delivery of our Model 3 as our second car. All electric family (after trading in our 'almost' all electric volt, during normal usage).

One mile off the lot, with 6 miles on the ODO, a driver who just spaced out for a moment rear ended us while we were stopped in traffic. ~30-40mph, no brake application on the other drivers part.

I feel like we might have the lowest mileage M3 to be in an accident, but of course that's hard to say.

Pictures of some of the damage is attached. We escaped with no major injuries (a little bruised from the seat belts, but no airbag deployment).

The person who hit us went to the hospital, they were pretty shaken up, but will probably be ok in the end (though their car and pocketbook may not be...).

I'm already gathering my wits and resources for the looming fight with insurance. This ended up affecting 4 vehicles (hers, ours, and 2 up from us due to the force of the impact). It's unclear what limits she may have on her policy, but if it's the minimum for the state, or even average for the state, she will likely run dry.

Things I am concerned about, and if folks have thoughts, suggestions, or better yet, experiences (bonus points for being in the state of Maryland), I'd love to hear them.

1: Diminished value - BRAND NEW CAR, will never get to drive it actually new. Unlikely to be totaled. If the at-fault driver doesn't have enough insurance, that means requesting them to pay directly, or suing if they don't. :(
2: Damage repair times... (tesla parts... eep)
3: Car rental times - this is, less of an issue because we do have another car, and I work from home. But I do have places to go at times during the day, meetings, etc. Logistics aren't an issue here, it's just having to pay out of pocket if the other drivers limits are low, and 'my' insurance company only covers 30 days.
4: Loss of Use claims?

Ultimately, the good thing is that everyone is ok (or should be, I really think the woman who hit us will be alright). The Model 3 handled everything like a champ. The impact was greatly absorbed by the rear bumper, just as it should have been. The front of our car beat the crap out of the van in front of us, and took minimal damage (a small bumper crack and hood scrape).

I'm sad, pissed off, a little stressed, and just defeated after waiting for so long only to have what should have been the end of a journey, turn into the beginning of another thing I have to deal with.

Solidarity and all that, and thanks for reading.

Sorry to hear about the accident with your new Model 3. Thankfully you are alright and the car protected its occupants. :cool:
Consider the fact that if you were driving in California, you would have a 1 in 4 chance that the other driver would be uninsured.

• Informative
I suspect there is more damage under the front bumper cover than you think...

Make sure you bring up all four of those items, though #3 and #4 are really the same thing, when you talk to the insurance company as that may help push them to totaling your car.

The other option is to use your own insurance and then let them deal with the third-party insurance or collecting directly from the other driver.

I am glad to see that the Model 3 held up so well to that kind of an impact, we have seen other impacts where the speed was claimed to be similar, with similar damage, and we wondered if it was true since we didn't see the other car. Here we can see that it looks like her car really took a lot of the force of the impact...

Oh, I'm pretty sure there is a lot more damaged under the cover. Thankfully, the adjuster will be having the shop tear things apart prior to making any sort of damage/repair estimates.

I am consulting an attorney to determine if my best course of action is to go through my own or to work with the at-fault insurance directly. The main issue here, is that no matter what, I can't get DV or LOU (beyond 30 days @$30/day), as MD doesn't support first party DV claims, UNLESS the other party is uninsured.

As far as it holding up, I was amazed, truly. I suppose I didn't expect otherwise, but then again I never expected to be in a higher speed rear end collision either. Having experienced it now, I am definitely shouting from the rooftops about how safe this car is.

That said, hey Elon, totally did a real life crash test for you. Only 6 miles on the odo... could you spare another M3 in exchange for a solid data point? ;)

Sooo sorry to hear this that’s like a nightmare scenario you wouldn’t wish on anybody. Glad the car showed once again it’s one of the safest cars on the road.

Best wishes on getting this all handled, I wouldn’t know where to even start.

Oh, I'm pretty sure there is a lot more damaged under the cover. Thankfully, the adjuster will be having the shop tear things apart prior to making any sort of damage/repair estimates.

I am consulting an attorney to determine if my best course of action is to go through my own or to work with the at-fault insurance directly. The main issue here, is that no matter what, I can't get DV or LOU (beyond 30 days @$30/day), as MD doesn't support first party DV claims, UNLESS the other party is uninsured.

As far as it holding up, I was amazed, truly. I suppose I didn't expect otherwise, but then again I never expected to be in a higher speed rear end collision either. Having experienced it now, I am definitely shouting from the rooftops about how safe this car is.

That said, hey Elon, totally did a real life crash test for you. Only 6 miles on the odo... could you spare another M3 in exchange for a solid data point? ;)
This is why you have uninsured/underinsured motorist. If you haven’t contacted your insurance company please do. They have lawyers and they know how to work with each other. You do not want to blow through your time dealing with her insurance company. Her insurance company is responsible for providing a rental, probably an M3 is mid size. They aren’t required to provide you a Tesla.

Reactions: C141medic
This is why you have uninsured/underinsured motorist. If you haven’t contacted your insurance company please do. They have lawyers and they know how to work with each other. You do not want to blow through your time dealing with her insurance company. Her insurance company is responsible for providing a rental, probably an M3 is mid size. They aren’t required to provide you a Tesla.

I've definitely contacted my insurance company. Near as I can tell, 'underinsured' does not qualify for diminished value claims, only uninsured. Any further DV claim I wish to make would be to the at fault party, and if they say no, I would have to take them to court. (Confirming these details this week with an attorney).

I definitely don't need a tesla, and again, after talking with the attorney, I will determine if I go directly to her insurance for any aspect of this case. So much depends on the damages to the other vehicles (the two ahead of me) and the limits of her insurance.

Very sorry about your accident. As you mentioned, most importantly, no one had any major injuries. Can’t begin to imagine how I would’ve felt getting into an accident with only 6 miles on the odo. I found this site that does DV appraisals in your state. Not sure if it would help in your situation but can’t hurt to see. Good luck.
Reed Appraisers

You should get on twitter and tweet Elon the request with the pictures.

Dear Tesla Friends,

[...]

I’m sorry for your loss and glad you didn’t get injured. And I can’t help but be thankful never to have been in a car crash in the US. What good is an insurance that doesn’t even cover bent metal? I really appreciate EU laws that make sure car insurances cover accidents and get uninsured drivers off the road. The minimum property damage covered in Germany (a few other countries in the EU have higher standards) is 1,200,000 €, for injuries it’s 7,500,000 €.

I hope you get all your damage replaced!

I've definitely contacted my insurance company. Near as I can tell, 'underinsured' does not qualify for diminished value claims, only uninsured. Any further DV claim I wish to make would be to the at fault party, and if they say no, I would have to take them to court. (Confirming these details this week with an attorney).

I definitely don't need a tesla, and again, after talking with the attorney, I will determine if I go directly to her insurance for any aspect of this case. So much depends on the damages to the other vehicles (the two ahead of me) and the limits of her insurance.
I had to sue the person (though the insurance company is responsible for payment) to get DV. They’ll balk but it depends on whether it’s state law. At the time it was new in Texas. They finally settled before the court date. Your insurance should be paying for getting your car fixed. They’ll handle getting money from hers.

Reactions: Ulmo
re: rental car coverage. As long as the other party is insured, it doesn't matter what type of rental coverage that you have. You have a nice car and the other party has to make you whole with a like car as long as your car is in the shop. Thus, don't settle for a Toyota Tercel.

If it were me, I'd let my insurance company handle the negotiations with the other party, but make sure that your carrier knows that your Tesla is going back to the Tesla service center, not Joe's Body Shop who may be on their preferred vendor list.

Last edited: