Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - Accident, Frustration, and Looming Repairs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla's policy is to provide you with a luxury rental and reimburse for gas if parts are back ordered which they will very likely be. I've been waiting for parts since late June. (rear quarter panel). Expect about 3 months to get repaired, that seems to be the average.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: P3D_Denver
Tesla's policy is to provide you with a luxury rental and reimburse for gas if parts are back ordered which they will very likely be. I've been waiting for parts since late June. (rear quarter panel). Expect about 3 months to get repaired, that seems to be the average.

Hmm. Interesting. Is there any documentation available on this? So even though this isn't a warranty issue, Telsa will compensate me for transportation and fuel in the event they don't have parts immediately available for a quick repair?

I have never seen that before, in fact Tesla's policy has been exactly the opposite of that. No loaner for non-warranty work. (I think they have made a few exceptions in extreme circumstances.)

It is up to the at-fault party to provide transportation during the repair of a non-warranty issue.

I have never seen that before, in fact Tesla's policy has been exactly the opposite of that. No loaner for non-warranty work. (I think they have made a few exceptions in extreme circumstances.)

It is up to the at-fault party to provide transportation during the repair of a non-warranty issue.
I was told this on Wednesday by my Tesla Body Shop Advocate, they offered me a rental but since I already have one through my insurance and my part is now expected in on Monday I'm just going to keep what I have and have them reimburse me for gas. I did press for a Tesla loaner but she would only provide an Enterprise rental. The key as I said is if the part is *backordered*. Also someone that tweeted Musk several weeks ago who was also waiting for a quarter panel and told it was backordered until Sept 6th was told the same thing by Tesla. This is just an FYI for those that may benefit from this info (it would have helped me if I had known sooner since the guy that hit me didn't have insurance). There was no special circumstances in my case, I've never discussed my insurance situation with them, this was just something they offered to compensate for their crappy ability to provide parts for existing costomers. I'm not selling anything so believe it or not, all the same to me lol.

Last edited:
Hmm. Interesting. Is there any documentation available on this? So even though this isn't a warranty issue, Telsa will compensate me for transportation and fuel in the event they don't have parts immediately available for a quick repair?
That is correct. I wouldn't expect to find this in writing, just be sure to bring it up with your Tesla Body Shop Advocate. It doesn't seem like they are keen to offer this unless you ask. I was offered $50 per day for a rental.

I was originally told back in July that my rear quarter panel was backordered until early september, then september 6th. On August 1 or there abouts I noticed someone tweeting musk about the same thing and then he followed up by tweeting that Telsa had told him in this situation it was there policy to provide a rental. I already had a rental so I didn't bring it up with Tesla at the time. On Sept 5th I called my Body Shop Advocate to check that the part was still set to arrive on the 6th, she told me that the date had changed to the 10. I then told her that I would need a loaner, she offered me a rental at $50/day but I declined because my main issue is that I'm paying for gas. She said the tesla loaners are reserved for warranty repairs or something like that, but she offered to reimburse my gas cost from day 1 until my car is repaired. I just have to provide my receipts after the repair is completed. So now I don't have to fight with my insurance company to reimburse me for gas, something they already told me they don't do.

Last edited:
We've been waiting for parts since early July, when the insurance company made their decision to repair instead of total. We were happy about that decision, originally. Waiting on last 2 parts - headliner and quarter panel. Original delivery date was sometime in late July, then August. The Tesla Body Shop Advocate "Escalated" the order around Sept 5 and they were supposed to be delivered to the distribution center on 18 Sep and 28 Sep, respectively. Since that didn't happen, they "escalated" it again on 5 October and they're supposed to make it to the distribution center on 28 October. I don't know how long it takes to get parts from there to the body shop, but the body shop has asked that they be mailed to them. I have no idea if that will be honored. The body shop took pity on us and is renting us a repo'd Chevy.

I thought I would provide an update for those who might be watching.

All critical parts have arrived and repair has begun, this was as of a few days ago. "Critical" parts, exclude things like trim, or other parts that can be done after the main body repair is finished.

I don't have an ETA on the repair, other than to know they expect about 80 hours of labor, and generally things are not done in parallel. So there is about a 3 week repair time for the amount of damage repair/paint work that needs to be done.

Providing the other finishing parts come in the meantime, I'm cautiously optimistic of a completed repair by the end of Novembmer, or ~3 months after the accident. (Accident pedants need not reply).

To date, our insurance company has covered everything. I turned in the rental car early (due to vacation) and we're not getting another for the time being. I aim to go after the other insurance for LOU as well as DV. I have a local person who basically only does DV claims, and I expect that given the extent of the damage, it will be a fairly substantial request.

I'll repor back with anything additional, as well as a wrap up with final details on timelines, amounts, and other experiences during the process in the hopes that someone in a similar situation can benefit from them.

@majordh Sorry to hear about your experience. From what I heard, quarter panels were high on the 'tricky to get' list, and also Q3 ending saw a potential shortage of parts as they were pushing production. But now that production is really ramped up, parts are hopefully becoming more plentify. Good luck, and I hope you get your car back soon!

It's unfortunate that you didn't have a Tesla Body Shop you could reach:

I"m not sure it would matter? This wasn't a small repair job (>$12k in repair costs so far), so it would not have taken a shorter amount of time due to the quantity of parts required, and frame work needing to be done. Even if they had all the parts on hand and worked on it non-stop, it would take 2-3 weeks due to the amount of labor, paint, and other things that had to be done.

Regardless, now's as good of a time as any for and update!

The car is being painted, and some final assembly needs to be done. We're 'hoping' for good news next week, but we shall see! If we can get it back within the next 2 weeks, it will have been just under 3 months since the accident.

Reactions: Ulmo
I"m not sure it would matter? This wasn't a small repair job (>$12k in repair costs so far), so it would not have taken a shorter amount of time due to the quantity of parts required, and frame work needing to be done. Even if they had all the parts on hand and worked on it non-stop, it would take 2-3 weeks due to the amount of labor, paint, and other things that had to be done.

Regardless, now's as good of a time as any for and update!

The car is being painted, and some final assembly needs to be done. We're 'hoping' for good news next week, but we shall see! If we can get it back within the next 2 weeks, it will have been just under 3 months since the accident.
I think you're correct. When I first posted, I didn't know they only do "light collision" repair. Now I know! Well, that sounds good on your situation. I hope your DV lawsuit (if you choose to do it) goes smoothly; get good DV lawyers and DV appraisers and DV consultants and whatnot. (DV=Diminished Value in the context of a car collision; my search for "DV lawyer" didn't work right, but "diminished value lawyer" came up with some results.)

Fast forward to today.

The repairs are complete, and just waiting a final test drive to ensure everything is in order. Tesla inspected, and has effectively signed off on the repairs, and everything is in good order.

But.

The body shop now tells me the insurance company isn't paying their labor rate. The insuracne company tells me too bad (we'll see).
The body shop never gave me an estimate. They gave me an authorization to sign to start repairs based on the estimate, but the only 'estimate' I have is from the adjustor, who quoted at the lower labor rate the insurance company is willing to pay.

So, now here I am, being told that to pick up the car when it's done, I"ll have to pay the difference.

Nope. That's not going to happen.

This shop did a great repair for me in my Model S after debris from a truck flew off and hit the front of my car, and they were happy to accep the insurance company labor rate then. So they damn well are going to accept it now, especially as they have no signed paperwork from me with their higher rate on it.

Just when you think things are done, bullshit starts to stink up the place.

*sigh*

Reactions: FlatSix911
Would you mind sharing the name of your insurance company? I've had similar issues with insurance refusing the pay the market labor rate for Tesla body work (I'm in SoCal.) According to the Tesla certified my body shop that I used:

State Farm
Ameriprise

are two that will only pay the average rate in the area and not what a Tesla Certified body shop typically charges.

Fast forward to today.

The repairs are complete, and just waiting a final test drive to ensure everything is in order. Tesla inspected, and has effectively signed off on the repairs, and everything is in good order.

But.

The body shop now tells me the insurance company isn't paying their labor rate. The insuracne company tells me too bad (we'll see).
The body shop never gave me an estimate. They gave me an authorization to sign to start repairs based on the estimate, but the only 'estimate' I have is from the adjustor, who quoted at the lower labor rate the insurance company is willing to pay.

So, now here I am, being told that to pick up the car when it's done, I"ll have to pay the difference.

Nope. That's not going to happen.

This shop did a great repair for me in my Model S after debris from a truck flew off and hit the front of my car, and they were happy to accep the insurance company labor rate then. So they damn well are going to accept it now, especially as they have no signed paperwork from me with their higher rate on it.

Just when you think things are done, bullshit starts to stink up the place.

*sigh*

Happy to share.

Travelers is the company.

They said something about 'state mandated labor rate' they pay, insinuating it was spelled out in statute. Which... I don't believe, and have not found.

The shop didn't quote me their rates, so they don't have a leg to stand on. They already caved, but I still think it's trash that they can't get paid a rate that is reasonable for their service.

They charge $60/hr for body/paint, vs Travelers paying $44. I've seen labor rates as high as $125, so I can't understand why Travelers won't just pay what the shop charges (or negotiate something in the middle) because $60/hr for the area is not remotely unreasonable.

Reactions: KG M3 and MP3Mike
Dear Tesla Friends,

In March 2015, we took delivery on our Model S. Best car we've ever owned.
In March 2016, we put our deposit down on a Model 3.

Finally, in August 2018, we took delivery of our Model 3 as our second car. All electric family (after trading in our 'almost' all electric volt, during normal usage).

One mile off the lot, with 6 miles on the ODO, a driver who just spaced out for a moment rear ended us while we were stopped in traffic. ~30-40mph, no brake application on the other drivers part.

I feel like we might have the lowest mileage M3 to be in an accident, but of course that's hard to say.

Pictures of some of the damage is attached. We escaped with no major injuries (a little bruised from the seat belts, but no airbag deployment).

The person who hit us went to the hospital, they were pretty shaken up, but will probably be ok in the end (though their car and pocketbook may not be...).

I'm already gathering my wits and resources for the looming fight with insurance. This ended up affecting 4 vehicles (hers, ours, and 2 up from us due to the force of the impact). It's unclear what limits she may have on her policy, but if it's the minimum for the state, or even average for the state, she will likely run dry.

Things I am concerned about, and if folks have thoughts, suggestions, or better yet, experiences (bonus points for being in the state of Maryland), I'd love to hear them.

1: Diminished value - BRAND NEW CAR, will never get to drive it actually new. Unlikely to be totaled. If the at-fault driver doesn't have enough insurance, that means requesting them to pay directly, or suing if they don't. :(
2: Damage repair times... (tesla parts... eep)
3: Car rental times - this is, less of an issue because we do have another car, and I work from home. But I do have places to go at times during the day, meetings, etc. Logistics aren't an issue here, it's just having to pay out of pocket if the other drivers limits are low, and 'my' insurance company only covers 30 days.
4: Loss of Use claims?

Ultimately, the good thing is that everyone is ok (or should be, I really think the woman who hit us will be alright). The Model 3 handled everything like a champ. The impact was greatly absorbed by the rear bumper, just as it should have been. The front of our car beat the crap out of the van in front of us, and took minimal damage (a small bumper crack and hood scrape).

I'm sad, pissed off, a little stressed, and just defeated after waiting for so long only to have what should have been the end of a journey, turn into the beginning of another thing I have to deal with.

Solidarity and all that, and thanks for reading.

Glad everyone came out alive from it. Hope you have gap-insurance coverage if they decide to 'total' the car. Else, you'll need to pay out of pocket the price difference with your banks.

I did press for a Tesla loaner but she would only provide an Enterprise rental.

For what it's worth, even Tesla is moving to Enterprise handling loaners for them. Enterprise has Tesla loaners (I got one), but it's definitely a work in progress according to the Enterprise rep. Rollout seems very disorganized and there are weird tech issues (like some can't Supercharge, and it's an Enterprise tech issue, not Tesla's according to the Enterprise rep).

Dear Tesla Friends,

In March 2015, we took delivery on our Model S. Best car we've ever owned.
In March 2016, we put our deposit down on a Model 3.

Finally, in August 2018, we took delivery of our Model 3 as our second car. All electric family (after trading in our 'almost' all electric volt, during normal usage).

One mile off the lot, with 6 miles on the ODO, a driver who just spaced out for a moment rear ended us while we were stopped in traffic. ~30-40mph, no brake application on the other drivers part.

I feel like we might have the lowest mileage M3 to be in an accident, but of course that's hard to say.

Pictures of some of the damage is attached. We escaped with no major injuries (a little bruised from the seat belts, but no airbag deployment).

The person who hit us went to the hospital, they were pretty shaken up, but will probably be ok in the end (though their car and pocketbook may not be...).

I'm already gathering my wits and resources for the looming fight with insurance. This ended up affecting 4 vehicles (hers, ours, and 2 up from us due to the force of the impact). It's unclear what limits she may have on her policy, but if it's the minimum for the state, or even average for the state, she will likely run dry.

Things I am concerned about, and if folks have thoughts, suggestions, or better yet, experiences (bonus points for being in the state of Maryland), I'd love to hear them.

1: Diminished value - BRAND NEW CAR, will never get to drive it actually new. Unlikely to be totaled. If the at-fault driver doesn't have enough insurance, that means requesting them to pay directly, or suing if they don't. :(
2: Damage repair times... (tesla parts... eep)
3: Car rental times - this is, less of an issue because we do have another car, and I work from home. But I do have places to go at times during the day, meetings, etc. Logistics aren't an issue here, it's just having to pay out of pocket if the other drivers limits are low, and 'my' insurance company only covers 30 days.
4: Loss of Use claims?

Ultimately, the good thing is that everyone is ok (or should be, I really think the woman who hit us will be alright). The Model 3 handled everything like a champ. The impact was greatly absorbed by the rear bumper, just as it should have been. The front of our car beat the crap out of the van in front of us, and took minimal damage (a small bumper crack and hood scrape).

I'm sad, pissed off, a little stressed, and just defeated after waiting for so long only to have what should have been the end of a journey, turn into the beginning of another thing I have to deal with.

Solidarity and all that, and thanks for reading.
So glad that you and your family are all ok. The damage done to your Tesla and the costs to repair it are much cheaper than ambulances or air evac flights. I lost my older brother to a traffic accident, and I’d happily trade my M3 for just a few hours with him. It’s a hassle dealing with insurance and everything, but the energy absorbed at 30/40 MPH is simply incredible. I’m so glad you’re all ok. Perspective!

• Love
  • Helpful
Reactions: Ken43 and gambit48