Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Accident, Is this car really safe to drive?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think it would hurt to get Tesla a chance to check the car and see if something went wrong, but I would agree with everyone else, it's possible air bag deployment was not necessary for your accident.
Glad to hear you're ok!

Glad you're ok. That's far, far, less damage than my totalled Prius and my airbags also did not go off (simply because they weren't needed).

Model 3 is incredibly safe... remember this one from a while ago? This pole didn't move.

3-crash-4.jpg

Wow.
I know it's hard for you to see your car with poles sticking out of it, but I have to agree it seems the car totally protected you. The cabin looks amazingly perfect! I think you are blessed that you didn't have more crash injuries on top of the already totaled appendix!
I can't help but think you were in the safest car possible. What other car would quickly decelerate without the need for slamming on the break!?
Thank you for sharing your story. I wish you a speedy recovery and please keep us updated.

I was in an accident on Tuesday 18 December at approximately 12:30 pm while driving my Model 3. I experienced a medical emergency which caused me to completely black out while driving. I am seriously concerned about what did and did not happen as a result of the accident. First my Model 3 left the roadway after I became unconscious and struck a telephone pole. I do not know how fast I was traveling at the time of the collision with the pole but I do know the car was crumpled half way to the firewall.

None of the airbags deployed, not one. How can a front end collision of this magnitude not result in any airbags deploying. The car also never alerted Tesla that an accident had occurred?? I confirmed this by speaking to the Tesla Service Center and they reviewed the data pulled from the car. They said all they were getting is that some “secondary systems” were reported malfunctions.

Now I need to determine if the car is repairable or not and then decide if I even want the car. I purchased the Tesla for several reasons, one of the biggest being it’s safety rating but I have serious concerns about the “real” safety.

I am really uncomfortable driving the Tesla in the future with my family inside if the safety systems do not function.

I would like to escalate this accident to someone who can provide answers. Both people I spoke to at the Service Center after seeing the pictures said that absolutely the airbags should have deployed and absolutely an accident message should have been transmitted to Tesla.

I would also think that Tesla would be very interested in finding out why they car did not function properly.

You can not drive until you get looked at by a doctor. Don’t let the DMV know you “blackout” the will 100% pull ur DL...

Both people I spoke to at the Service Center after seeing the pictures said that absolutely the airbags should have deployed

Well from my experience the people at the service center are the absolute experts hahaha, Glad you are ok and hope you can get the data you need but as others have stated here the fact that the airbags did not deploy does not mean the car is at fault and battery electric cars by design are inherently safer due to the low center of gravity (less likely to roll over), larger crumple zones (no engine up front) and because of that skateboard style battery pack it is more resistant to cabin intrusion (especially into the side) NHSTA rated the model 3 the safest car they ever tested Tesla Model 3 = Safest Car Ever Tested By NHTSA. How Did Tesla Pull It Off? | CleanTechnica watch the videos in this link as they have some very interesting simulations (the 3rd video shows the front crash into a pole like what happened with you) and explain why the car is really very safe

You should also take into consideration that most accidents will occur while you are conscious and in full control of the vehicle so with that in mind accident avoidance is high in this car with its very nimble handling and acceleration, I have only been a Tesla model 3 owner (or electric car of any kind) since April and not sure if you can tell but i'm a big fan already! in 15k miles of driving this has been my favorite car by far and we have owned a few nice cars over the years, just my opinion though, again glad that you made it out unscathed and happy holidays!

Last edited:
Reactions: APotatoGod
So I know nothing about airbags but I assume their purpose is to keep you from slamming into a steering wheel, door or other hard object in the car after a collision.

If your body did not hit an area that had airbag coverage, you wouldn’t have needed the airbags deployed?

Did you hit anything else inside the car after being thrown forward in the hit?

Below is the image of a Model X with seemingly all of the airbags deployed. Side hit at 65MPH.

7204EB44-3EA9-4BAF-8CB4-9A0EE20EA11B.jpeg

Reactions: APotatoGod
I was in an accident on Tuesday 18 December at approximately 12:30 pm while driving my Model 3. I experienced a medical emergency which caused me to completely black out while driving. I am seriously concerned about what did and did not happen as a result of the accident. First my Model 3 left the roadway after I became unconscious and struck a telephone pole. I do not know how fast I was traveling at the time of the collision with the pole but I do know the car was crumpled half way to the firewall.

None of the airbags deployed, not one. How can a front end collision of this magnitude not result in any airbags deploying. The car also never alerted Tesla that an accident had occurred?? I confirmed this by speaking to the Tesla Service Center and they reviewed the data pulled from the car. They said all they were getting is that some “secondary systems” were reported malfunctions.

Now I need to determine if the car is repairable or not and then decide if I even want the car. I purchased the Tesla for several reasons, one of the biggest being it’s safety rating but I have serious concerns about the “real” safety.

I am really uncomfortable driving the Tesla in the future with my family inside if the safety systems do not function.

I would like to escalate this accident to someone who can provide answers. Both people I spoke to at the Service Center after seeing the pictures said that absolutely the airbags should have deployed and absolutely an accident message should have been transmitted to Tesla.

I would also think that Tesla would be very interested in finding out why they car did not function properly.

Did you have your dash cam USB stick recording? If so...the front view of the crash would have been on there.

I have a friend who reconstructs accidents forensically as an expert witness in lawsuits. Here is his comment after seeing the photos:

Air bag would probably have hurt him more than just the belts. Not a really big hit. Pole impacts are about 1 mph for each inch of intrusion, so he likely hit the pole at about 12-15 mph. That would be in the gray zone for air bag deployment. Most good systems, seeing he was belted would not have deployed the air bag.