Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Accident, Is this car really safe to drive?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Glad to hear you are OK, and sorry to hear about the accident.

I’m new to the M3 (owned one for about two weeks now), so I’m not completely familiar with the car yet. Does the M3 have collision avoidance in it, and if so, would it have applied the brakes when it detected an impending crash to reduce the severity of the impact? Would the logs determine if the car applied the brakes prior to impact?

I’m new to the M3 (owned one for about two weeks now), so I’m not completely familiar with the car yet. Does the M3 have collision avoidance in it, and if so, would it have applied the brakes when it detected an impending crash to reduce the severity of the impact? Would the logs determine if the car applied the brakes prior to impact?
It has auto emergency braking but I doubt a wooden telephone pole is going to trigger that... plus, if you've ever tried to emergency brake on grass, gravel, or or dirt you'll find it's not the greatest. :eek:

From a human perspective...hitting a tree or pole or any non moving object is devastating. From a human perspective - said objects are easily detectable.

As I watch video from a Solid State ( computer camera ) perspective...poles / trees / fireplugs / humans look identical to shadows of the same objects.
So the question NOW is....does radar and/or lidar accurately detect these objects? As small as they can be...can radar and/or lidar detect these objects? and with what type of accuracy?

The answer is probably YES.

Next question: What is the price of radar that can detect these objects with a superb level of accuracy? Can you put this glorious radar in a $35K car and make money? how about a $60k car? The military pays millions upon millions for a single radar system. Hmmm....

So...a /multi-point /non-human / non-camera / radar-lidar / based detection system has to be able to financially fit in a $35k car with the accuracy of 2 eyeballs and a brain. hmmmmm...

My M3 was rear ended pretty bad a couple of weeks back. I must say if it wasn’t for the M3 the damage to the car and its passengers would have been severe. Its rear impact beam (sits behind bumper) absorbed most of the impact. I was surprised on how well it withstood the impact. Btw no airbags deployed.
They won’t on a rear impact. That’s what headrests are for.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Sure you're $7500 is secure from the car that was wrecked.
But hey, I'd be pushing my insurer HARD to get them to total it in the coming days.
So that I could walk into a Tesla location and score another $7500 tax credit before 12/31 with an inventory vehicle.
Gotta move quickly.
Worth it.

My tax liability wouldn't be high enough in situation like that. I'd get maybe another $1500... As it is I'm pushing my solar rebate out for another year.

So the question NOW is....does radar and/or lidar accurately detect these objects? As small as they can be...can radar and/or lidar detect these objects? and with what type of accuracy?

To be able to resolve items that small the radar should be using frequency into GHz range. I do not really know what frequency they actually use. Lidar on the other hand should be able to resolve them but as far as I'm aware they are significantly more expensive.

Looks like someone has done a copy and paste job with the OP - Tesla Model 3 , is this car really safe to drive?
And not a very creative one.

Who is: "Barbara C Lutz" Georgia US ?

Any connection with "Bob Lutz" ?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

News Blog
https://tipshealthfan.ooo/

IP: [149.56.18.177]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
ICANN WHOIS

https://whois.icann.org/en/lookup?name=tipshealthfan.ooo

Contact Information
Registrant Contact

Name:
Organization: Barbara C Lutz
Mailing Address: , Georgia US

Important Dates
Updated Date: 2018-12-13
Created Date: 2018-06-26
Registry Expiry Date: 2019-06-26

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Would have been nice if Tesla had an emergency alert system, much like other luxury cars (OnStar, MBrace, BMW Assyst, etc). With current sensor array, car should figure out it was in an accident and be able to verify with the driver if he / she is OK, and whether they need to notify 911. I would not mind at all paying a subscription fee for such a service - I do that for our Merc. Could also use a dedicated 911 call button.

Who is: "Barbara C Lutz" Georgia US ?

Any connection with "Bob Lutz" ?

News Blog
https://tipshealthfan.ooo/

IP: [149.56.18.177]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
ICANN WHOIS

https://whois.icann.org/en/lookup?name=tipshealthfan.ooo

Contact Information
Registrant Contact

Name:
Organization: Barbara C Lutz
Mailing Address: , Georgia US

Important Dates
Updated Date: 2018-12-13
Created Date: 2018-06-26
Registry Expiry Date: 2019-06-26

Are you guys hinting at something?

To be able to resolve items that small the radar should be using frequency into GHz range. I do not really know what frequency they actually use. Lidar on the other hand should be able to resolve them but as far as I'm aware they are significantly more expensive.

You are exactly right. Lidar is indeed expensive and does not fit in a $35k car.

Check out this video and watch all of the light poles that the radar/camera misses. If you improve on the cameras or the radar...can Tesla improve on it for free?

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
You are exactly right. Lidar is indeed expensive and does not fit in a $35k car.

Check out this video and watch all of the light poles that the radar/camera misses. If you improve on the cameras or the radar...can Tesla improve on it for free?

It doesn't miss those poles. It just doesn't show objects that are out of the free space (green area) except vehicles and humans.

The issue with the radar is that even though the frequency is high, it's resolution is low due to the antenna characteristics. This gives a lot of false alarms when driving. For example a bump (with edge) on the road reflects enough signal for the car to think that there is something there. So the software tries to figure it out based on the camera what's going on. And it fails sometimes. (think of all the accidents where a Tesla hit a stopped car/truck/barrier)
Recently due to the accidents there was an adjustment in the software so it weights the radar signal more even if the camera can't detect an object which makes it safer but results in a lof of disengagement and sometimes phantom braking.

Improvements can be done by using multiple high resolution radars.

It doesn't miss those poles. It just doesn't show objects that are out of the free space (green area) except vehicles and humans.

The issue with the radar is that even though the frequency is high, it's resolution is low due to the antenna characteristics. This gives a lot of false alarms when driving. For example a bump (with edge) on the road reflects enough signal for the car to think that there is something there. So the software tries to figure it out based on the camera what's going on. And it fails sometimes. (think of all the accidents where a Tesla hit a stopped car/truck/barrier)
Recently due to the accidents there was an adjustment in the software so it weights the radar signal more even if the camera can't detect an object which makes it safer but results in a lof of disengagement and sometimes phantom braking.

Improvements can be done by using multiple high resolution radars.

Ok....let me post a more updated video. Same car....updated autopilot ….it recognizes poles and the location of stop lights and signs. Radar isn't precise enough to see all of those super thin poles. Pole recognition in this video has to be cameras.

for example....stop lights are labeled as 4's. Poles are 1's and 2's. 3's are signs. etc...…

Notice the moving speeds of cars and such....they are relative to the Tesla ….not relative to standing still. I think that's sooooo cool.

Ok....let me post a more updated video. Same car....updated autopilot ….it recognizes poles and the location of stop lights and signs. Radar isn't precise enough to see all of those super thin poles. Pole recognition in this video has to be cameras.

for example....stop lights are labeled as 4's. Poles are 1's and 2's. 3's are signs. etc...…

Notice the moving speeds of cars and such....they are relative to the Tesla ….not relative to standing still. I think that's sooooo cool.

I never realized how many poles there are around until someone labels them all!

I never realized how many poles there are around until someone labels them all!
Yeah....I know.

Its astounding isn't it?

I suppose it takes at least a little bit of processing power to recognize all of them accurately. Plus recognize the Lanes / street lights / stop signs / pedestrians / other vehicles and their distance - speed - which direction they are all facing... and much more.

Hmmm.....all that technology financially fits in a $35k car?

The only thing that bothers me is the car not contacting Tesla. This was a serious accident, and had it happened in any other car, you would have suffered major injuries, and possibly death. If anything, this would have given me more faith in the safety of this car. The reason it looks so bad is because it did exactly what it was supposed to do. Absorb most of the impact of the collision.