Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Accident, Is this car really safe to drive?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exactly, and anyone who's fainted knows there's very little warning and once you've fainted it's too late.

We've seen several cases now where people have passed out or had other medical emergencies in a Tesla. I wonder if the Model 3 inward facing camera can detect such physical signs and put a confirmation box on the screen to confirm you're ok. If there's not a response in a certain amount of time it could call for you...:)

It wouldn't be impossibly difficult to implement.
People drive drunk, wounded, light-headed, on drugs, ambien in all sorts of vehicles. It is NOT the vehicle's fault. People about to have a ruptured appendix get warnings in advance. I deleted that first post as I made reference to facts not in evidence. I still question the spin. Too many people bitch about teslas as they have an negative agenda.

People about to have a ruptured appendix get warnings in advance.
Meh, these warning signs could be mild at first. We don't know that the OP experienced any warning signs out of the ordinary.

I drive while having nausea, a mild fever, or a lost appetite all the time. Those don't cause me to think anything bad is going to happen. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

I think, in this case, the Tesla performed fantastically. The combination of the crumple zone plus likely regen itself helped save the day.

Reactions: APotatoGod
I have seen some significant accidents. Out of the bad ones only the Tesla driver was able to walk away on his own. The last one I saw was a Lexus LS350. The driver had significant facial injuries and was unconscious, the airbag went off and she was wearing her seatbelt. I still believe Tesla makes the safest cars through my own experience.

Correction, I own a Lexus. There is no Lexus Model LS350. It's probably ES350 or IS350. Please double check your source of info. Thank you.

I was in an accident on Tuesday 18 December at approximately 12:30 pm while driving my Model 3....

You are aware that Tesla does not make their own airbags or the triggers that activate them. I'm not sure if Tesla is still using Takata airbags, along with most other car manufacturers, but they did have some huge recalls in the past year: Massive Takata Airbag Recall: Everything You Need to Know | News | Car and Driver

Unfortunately, you never know you have a defective airbag system until you need it...

Wow you are a very lucky fellow. The cause of your black out must be determined and addressed properly before you ever drive again. It could be a sign of sleep apnea or what some British researchers have dubbed micro burst of sleep. Whatever, it is amazing there is no interior damage indicated and you did not go thru the windshield. Do not risk yourself nor any passengers without correcting this. To be sure Tesla should do a full study of this, but your greatest concern should be your medical issue.

• Disagree
Reactions: whatthe2 and Runt8
Wow you are a very lucky fellow. The cause of your black out must be determined and addressed properly before you ever drive again. It could be a sign of sleep apnea or what some British researchers have dubbed micro burst of sleep. Whatever, it is amazing there is no interior damage indicated and you did not go thru the windshield. Do not risk yourself nor any passengers without correcting this. To be sure Tesla should do a full study of this, but your greatest concern should be your medical issue.
It's been stated multiple times that he blacked out due to a ruptured appendix. Since he no longer has an appendix, this is a one-time event.

[I said:
"None of the airbags deployed, not one. How can a front end collision of this magnitude not result in any airbags deploying. The car also never alerted Tesla that an accident had occurred?? I confirmed this by speaking to the Tesla Service Center and they reviewed the data pulled from the car. They said all they were getting is that some “secondary systems” were reported malfunctions.[/I]

Now I need to determine if the car is repairable or not and then decide if I even want the car. I purchased the Tesla for several reasons, one of the biggest being it’s safety rating but I have serious concerns about the “real” safety."[/COLOR]

If you haven't already, I would strongly recommend you file a report with NHTSA as soon as possible via e-mail. (That's if they're open and not Shut Down) ( File a Vehicle Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA )

Then you will get an e-mail response from them as seen in the SAMPLE below, just make sure you follow their instructions. An investigator will call you!

Or if wish you can call them (1-888-327-4236) please have all pertinent information at the ready.

Glad you're doing okay!

NHTSA Link: Contact Us

On Jul 20, 2018, at 1:09 AM, US DOT NHTSA <[email protected]> wrote:

Thank you for filing your safety-related complaint via our Web site or our Vehicle Safety Hotline. The ODI Number listed below will be a direct link to your complaint as soon as it is ready to view. Please allow at least two business days for approval and processing before trying to view your complaint online. You will then be able to view it and search any associated documents.

Your Confirmation number (ODI Number) is: XXXXXXX

Your complaint information will be entered into the NHTSA vehicle owner complaint database. NHTSA technical staff review this information to identify potential safety problems. While you may or may not be contacted by a NHTSA investigator to clarify the information submitted, all reports are reviewed and analyzed for potential defects trends. Also, the NHTSA complaint database provides valuable information to other consumers and to manufacturers.

If you have any questions regarding this complaint, please contact ODI:

• By phone: 1-888-327-4236 8:00AM to 10:00PM Monday-Friday
    TTY: 1-888-424-9153
    Have your ODI Number available.
    (Spanish-speaking operators available)

• By e-mail:
    Indicate your ODI Number in the contact form.
Thank you,

Office of Defects Investigation (ODI)
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT)

To find out more about NHTSA, please go to the Safercar.gov Web site or call our Vehicle Safety Hotline toll-free at 1-888-327-4236.
Our Privacy Policy can be found at this Web page.

This is a system-generated e-mail. Do NOT respond to the sender of this e-mail.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-12-28 at 12.29.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-28 at 12.29.29 PM.png
    22.3 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: derotam and Runt8
Second, airbags require 2+ crumple sensors to deploy. Hitting a pole is usually not an event that will deploy the airbags unless it’s at an angle where the damage hits 2+ sensors.

Airbags are trigger by the accelerometer in the airbag control module.
Air Bag Deployment Criteria
There are no physical crumple sensors. There is no time to wait for major structure deformation...
The Insane Physics of Airbags

I was in an accident on Tuesday 18 December at approximately 12:30 pm while driving my Model 3. I experienced a medical emergency which caused me to completely black out while driving. I am seriously concerned about what did and did not happen as a result of the accident. First my Model 3 left the roadway after I became unconscious and struck a telephone pole. I do not know how fast I was traveling at the time of the collision with the pole but I do know the car was crumpled half way to the firewall.

None of the airbags deployed, not one. How can a front end collision of this magnitude not result in any airbags deploying. The car also never alerted Tesla that an accident had occurred?? I confirmed this by speaking to the Tesla Service Center and they reviewed the data pulled from the car. They said all they were getting is that some “secondary systems” were reported malfunctions.

Now I need to determine if the car is repairable or not and then decide if I even want the car. I purchased the Tesla for several reasons, one of the biggest being it’s safety rating but I have serious concerns about the “real” safety.

I am really uncomfortable driving the Tesla in the future with my family inside if the safety systems do not function.

I would like to escalate this accident to someone who can provide answers. Both people I spoke to at the Service Center after seeing the pictures said that absolutely the airbags should have deployed and absolutely an accident message should have been transmitted to Tesla.

I would also think that Tesla would be very interested in finding out why they car did not function properly.

I'm glad you're okay. And you have every right to be concerned when it comes to your family being safe. I would definitely consult with a safety expert and then make a decision from there. The important thing now is that you are alive. Be well.

I was in an accident on Tuesday 18 December at approximately 12:30 pm while driving my Model 3. I experienced a medical emergency which caused me to completely black out while driving. I am seriously concerned about what did and did not happen as a result of the accident. First my Model 3 left the roadway after I became unconscious and struck a telephone pole. I do not know how fast I was traveling at the time of the collision with the pole but I do know the car was crumpled half way to the firewall.

None of the airbags deployed, not one. How can a front end collision of this magnitude not result in any airbags deploying. The car also never alerted Tesla that an accident had occurred?? I confirmed this by speaking to the Tesla Service Center and they reviewed the data pulled from the car. They said all they were getting is that some “secondary systems” were reported malfunctions.

Now I need to determine if the car is repairable or not and then decide if I even want the car. I purchased the Tesla for several reasons, one of the biggest being it’s safety rating but I have serious concerns about the “real” safety.

I am really uncomfortable driving the Tesla in the future with my family inside if the safety systems do not function.

I would like to escalate this accident to someone who can provide answers. Both people I spoke to at the Service Center after seeing the pictures said that absolutely the airbags should have deployed and absolutely an accident message should have been transmitted to Tesla.

I would also think that Tesla would be very interested in finding out why they car did not function properly.
The car is absolutely safe. Safest cars on the planet. Reality check, you are unsafe. You are very fortunate that no one was hurt as your liability would be astronomical. Reasonable people do. It drive in your stared condition. It is unreasonable to drive cars while under physical duress. The service center probably agreed with you about the airbags because it was just easier and you would go away faster. Your cars supercomputer knows when to deploy the airbags and not some silly human looking at a picture. Significantly more physics at play here. It is more likely than not that you would be dead driving an ICE car and the airbags would be the least of your worries. Rather than complain about the safest car on the planet that CLEARLY saved your life, you should be writing a heartfelt post praising the fact that the car kept you alive. You are coming across as entitled and you are not. If you would have been on autopilot/bought autopilot then the car would have pulled over without incident and you would have likely expired on the side of the road as a car on the shoulder does not trigger a response from authorities. A car wrapped around a pole is a different story. At a minimum you should be mad at your appendix.

Just a sore chest and then the ride to the hospital for surgery for a burst appendicts, that has been no fun and the pain was incredible. Enough that I passed out. And it went from an annoying stomach pain to full blown incapacitating pain in under a minute[/QUOTE

Oh how nasty for you and a terrible coincidence that it happened while driving. As a surgeon I know how painful a ruptured appendix can be. I hope your surgery went well and you are recovering.

I also hope the airbags didn't deploy because the car absorbed enough of the impact that they weren't needed. I would like to feel safe in my M3 too. You should definitely speak to Tesla so you can feel more comfortable.

As an aside, my husband was driving with me and the kids and got distracted by a traffic situation across from us and almost rear ended the car in front of us, except that the collision warning went off and we were able to brake in time.

All the best in your recovery.

Since an air bag don't always deploy, the most important is to always wear a 3 points seat belt.

Of course. However, it is interesting, and messes up the observation, that the airbag is more likely to deploy if you aren't wearing your seat belt. Back in the early days before passenger seat sensors, in a accident, the driver's airbag (with seal belt sensor happy) might not go off, but the unoccupied passenger seat without the seat belt latched would have its airbag go off...

The car is absolutely safe. Safest cars on the planet. Reality check, you are unsafe. You are very fortunate that no one was hurt as your liability would be astronomical. Reasonable people do. It drive in your stared condition. It is unreasonable to drive cars while under physical duress. The service center probably agreed with you about the airbags because it was just easier and you would go away faster. Your cars supercomputer knows when to deploy the airbags and not some silly human looking at a picture. Significantly more physics at play here. It is more likely than not that you would be dead driving an ICE car and the airbags would be the least of your worries. Rather than complain about the safest car on the planet that CLEARLY saved your life, you should be writing a heartfelt post praising the fact that the car kept you alive. You are coming across as entitled and you are not. If you would have been on autopilot/bought autopilot then the car would have pulled over without incident and you would have likely expired on the side of the road as a car on the shoulder does not trigger a response from authorities. A car wrapped around a pole is a different story. At a minimum you should be mad at your appendix.
Yeah, I pretty much agree here. Independent of what car you drive, you should not drive if impaired, it is irresponsible to drive in less than perfect health. At the end of the day the driver is responsible for everything. So now NTSB will investigate, declare it driver error and driver's insurance rates will soar. Acute Appendicitis has warning signs 24-48 hours out. Frankly this sounds to me like "made a bad decision and now I want someone else to take responsibility". It's not the car's fault, it's the driver's. Frankly I have not read about an major accident in a Tesla that was the car's fault. This includes the one with the 18 wheeler, the one in CA with the lane divider. Everyone was inattentive driver. But for those looking for reasons to not get a Tesla, they will cling to this. Shorts looking for a "Voila" will cling to this. To both, I call BS. Even with the imminent impact warning it clearly states the goal is not to stop the car, the goal is to prevent a fatal accident. Imminent Impact braking is on non EAP Teslas as well.

I call everybody's attention to page 87 in the Model 3 Owners Manual. I am surprised people haven't cited this earlier. So, that raises an important question. How many of you actually have read the manual?

Last edited: