Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Aero wheels dealer price and hassles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone got a current price on standard model 3 Aero wheels? I think Tesla has jacked their price up, and my local "shop" seems to have jacked them up even further. I read on here that in the past Tesla charged about 220 for them. I was quoted 400 a couple days ago. I ordered one anyway. Now they are saying 472.

Regarding hassles, trying to buy a basic part from Tesla like a replacement rim has seriously soured me on Tesla. Yes, the car drives like nothing else out there, and I am completely converted to electric for daily driving and commuting. But I refuse to work with businesses that do not support right to repair. This is simply a recipe for getting ripped off and if Tesla is not forced to honor right to repair soon I will in no way be willing to own an older Tesla that is likely to need out of pocket service costs.

Then there's the issue of actually getting a person on the phone from Tesla. Good luck with that. I can get my local shop specifically regarding a service, but that is the only way to get to them. Any other car company I can call or walk in any time to get or order anything I need. Unacceptable for Tesla to treat customers like this.

News is full of reports that inflation is out of control, and that due to supply chain issues, many items are soaring in price.

Lots of independent sources can provide you with a replacement rim (perhaps used) at much lower prices.

Maybe even posting on this Forum could get you a lower priced replacement.

Then there's the issue of actually getting a person on the phone from Tesla. Good luck with that. I can get my local shop specifically regarding a service, but that is the only way to get to them. Any other car company I can call or walk in any time to get or order anything I need. Unacceptable for Tesla to treat customers like this.

So you're saying they respond when you need them, but it's unacceptable? Not sure I understand the issue here ...?

Regarding hassles, trying to buy a basic part from Tesla like a replacement rim has seriously soured me on Tesla... Unacceptable for Tesla to treat customers like this.
Can you be more specific about which part of the process failed? Are you saying that you entered your wheel request in the app and it somehow didn't arrive?
It's true that you can't get Tesla products online, in person, or over the phone, fax, telegram, etc. but it usually works fine when you put it in the app like they tell you to.

Tesla's part pricing tends to be quite reasonable but yes, also quite volatile. For common parts like aero wheels your best bet is to check eBay or a local powdercoat/exchange shop since base wheels tend to flood the market as people upgrade. Note that 2021+ aero wheels are slightly different than the 1st gen although they look identical.

fascinating that all the responses were pro-Tesla. I first called the service center number. Selected the menu option for "parts". This gave a voice message saying leave a name, number, shop name, part description, and VIN. Of course I did all this except the shop part. Never got a call or email back so why have the message?? No mention of using the app. I don't want service- I want a part. Called the national number, waited on hold for over 30 minutes each on the "sales" and "service" choices. No one ever answered either. Called the number for the in-mall store, but selected service knowing they didn't have a shop. Tesla's system had shunted me to the local shop and a technician picked up. He asked if I emailed the parts department. How would I know to do that? Sent them an email, never received a response. I asked if I could come in there and talk to the parts department. He said, "no, no one can talk to them". So I asked, Can I buy the wheel? "No, you have to email them, there is nobody you can talk to in the parts department, there are no over-the-counter sales". "Can I buy one from the service department?" "No, you have to email them" So no where in this conversation did he say, "use the app". I ignored his shitty attitude throughout this (since I was probably getting a bit shitty myself by this point), and simply showed up (since I had not received any response by phone or email from the parts department and I needed my car). I sat there and talked to the service guy until he put the wheel order in for more and agreed to sell me the wheel in the first place.

In the meantime I called every junk yard/parts dealer in the greater DC area. None of them had any Tesla wheels. I called 3 garages that a California tuning shop recommended and none of them had any wheels. They gave me the names of 2 auto body shops that used to work on Teslas until this year (when Tesla shut down their parts desks) and neither of them had any wheels. There appear to be zero aggegators of wrecked Tesla parts in this regiong. I have some suspicion that Tesla is buying back wrecked cars and recycling parts. Supposedly they reserve the right to install "reconditioned" parts on warranty repairs, which is mind boggling, and at least one automative journalist claims Tesla is doing this and that when replacing a part on a repair they are sometimes keeping and recycling the old parts.

Finally I put a service order in in parallel just so I would have anything to pressure Tesla with to move things along (no one from Tesla ever told me to do this other than the national number which says that you must use the Tesla app to get service, but still no mention of parts). On Friday I received a text that my wheel had arrived. I let the service order ride thinking at this point that although Tesla's $50 wheel mounting fee is exhorbitant I did not have any more time to screw with this. Lo and behold I arrive at my scheduled time today and they don't have the wheel. Of course first it takes an hour for them to even touch my car. Then they try to give the car back to me, telling me I'm wrong and the rim only has curb rash and is not cracked. Since I know where the crack is exactly (on the inside) I tell them they need to train their technician better and give me a temporary wheel or a temporary car. There's a bunch of back and forth over the next 1.5 hours until they "find" a wheel (there's numerous used Tesla rims sitting visibly inside the body shop, many without tires and unlikely to be associated with any owner cars). After some more back and forth I leave the shop 3.5 hours after I arrive with a temporary rim with an OEM tire on it and my tire held hostage on my old cracked rim until the new rim arrives. F Tesla.

tried to quote an article from the Drive on right to repair and it's been blocked/deleted. I assume this forum doesn't allow external quotes or something? The article was a straight-forward article on why right to repair is so important for cars.

The discussion around that situation (which was over a year ago), here on tmc is here:

I was trying to buy a part, I don't want their $$ service.

OK, now I got it. Unless the part is in the catalog (Parts Catalog) as Restricted, it should be no problem. Just open a Service ticket - "Something Else" - be sure to indicate that you want to purchase part# ABC123-00-A, without installation, for pickup. Shouldn't be an issue at all - I've done that several times in the past. Just be sure to be super duper descriptive - that's why I suggest using the part # explicitly ...

There's no differentiation between Parts and Service at Tesla.... no "parts department" per se. You just buy them through Service. And yes, has to be done via the App. If you're used to calling around, the App can be annoying, but it is a single point of contact. And I guess on the upside, it means there's at least a record of everything. There's an allergy to telephone calls at Tesla -- love it or hate it, it is what it is ... opening a ticket in the app is where it's at. Makes life easier to adopt their method.

Oh, and just to keep things straight -- using reconditioned or refurbished parts on Warranty claims is absolutely, 100% industry standard practice. That's nothing exclusive to Tesla.

Weird that they repeatedly told you to send an email. Tesla does not read emails.
Weird that you were able to call them. Tesla does not publish phone numbers and generally does not answer the phone anyway.

I agree that they need to clearly inform the public that all communication needs to be done in the app. Any phone numbers or email addresses you might find are defunct/abandoned.

I also agree that many Tesla service centers are overwhelmed. Wait times are long, staff are undertrained, organization and planning are lacking, etc. But in their defense, $50 mounting isn't far off the typical minimum of $30. And those piles of wheels might not have been the right version for your car.

OK, now I got it. Unless the part is in the catalog (Parts Catalog) as Restricted, it should be no problem. Just open a Service ticket - "Something Else" - be sure to indicate that you want to purchase part# ABC123-00-A, without installation, for pickup. Shouldn't be an issue at all - I've done that several times in the past. Just be sure to be super duper descriptive - that's why I suggest using the part # explicitly ...

There's no differentiation between Parts and Service at Tesla.... no "parts department" per se. You just buy them through Service. And yes, has to be done via the App. If you're used to calling around, the App can be annoying, but it is a single point of contact. And I guess on the upside, it means there's at least a record of everything. There's an allergy to telephone calls at Tesla -- love it or hate it, it is what it is ... opening a ticket in the app is where it's at. Makes life easier to adopt their method.

Oh, and just to keep things straight -- using reconditioned or refurbished parts on Warranty claims is absolutely, 100% industry standard practice. That's nothing exclusive to Tesla.
I did hear about the online catalog from service rep when I told them the email was not getting any responses, although he failed to inform me that use of the site for ordering was restricted to shops with accounts. I should ask, why that part number, which describes a set of four wheels, would allow me to order just one wheel? I knew from these forums that you could buy one wheel so it doesn't make sense that if I use a part number for something that is only sold in sets of 4 I'll be able to get an agreement from Tesla that they are selling me just one. The text communications in the app have been absolutely obtuse so it's not really an acceptable communication tool.

Regarding warranty work using reconditioned parts, I admit that I've had relatively little dealer-performed warranty work on any of my cars. I've had a string of Subarus and from what I know virtually everything from them comes as new. I'll ask my friends that are a bit more "behind the wall" on whether Subaru uses any reconditioned parts and what types of things they would be, but afaik it was basically "none". At a minimum, if a part is reconditioned by the manufacturer it should be a different price, so I would expect Tesla to have to declare what a reconditioned part is but I don't know that they are when non-warranty work is being done. All this makes me want to start an east coast Tesla repair and rebuild garage. Seems like a ripe market if you can push through the right to repair issues.

Weird that they repeatedly told you to send an email. Tesla does not read emails.
Weird that you were able to call them. Tesla does not publish phone numbers and generally does not answer the phone anyway.

I agree that they need to clearly inform the public that all communication needs to be done in the app. Any phone numbers or email addresses you might find are defunct/abandoned.

I also agree that many Tesla service centers are overwhelmed. Wait times are long, staff are undertrained, organization and planning are lacking, etc. But in their defense, $50 mounting isn't far off the typical minimum of $30. And those piles of wheels might not have been the right version for your car.
fair enough, but I was trying to get off on the right foot with Tesla- fair parts pricing and freedom to have my shop do the work. I would say 30 extra for wheel mounting (Radial Tire in Silver Spring does it for $20 while you wait with a crack crew and comfort with exotics and low rim profiles), but more importantly, let's say a 50% markup on service. If that continued into every future repair that could be thousands wasted. Studies confirm taking your car to a dealer on average increases repair costs substantially, but more importantly, over years of car ownership I've found a small number of shops that I can trust with my cars. Even when dealing with dealers it's better to work with some rather than others. The local Subaru dealer tries to mark up all parts sold to the public by 10-20%. Whenever Im desperate and I call them I talk as if I'm from a shop and confirm the list price. On several occasions I've had to get them to correct the invoice after they meet me and try to add the "consumer markup". Of course if you have time there are Subaru dealers that sell all their parts at a discount online so if you have time it's always better to buy from them. Without greater independence Tesla will never have this scenario.

fair enough, but I was trying to get off on the right foot with Tesla- fair parts pricing and freedom to have my shop do the work. I would say 30 extra for wheel mounting (Radial Tire in Silver Spring does it for $20 while you wait with a crack crew and comfort with exotics and low rim profiles), but more importantly, let's say a 50% markup on service. If that continued into every future repair that could be thousands wasted. Studies confirm taking your car to a dealer on average increases repair costs substantially, but more importantly, over years of car ownership I've found a small number of shops that I can trust with my cars. Even when dealing with dealers it's better to work with some rather than others. The local Subaru dealer tries to mark up all parts sold to the public by 10-20%. Whenever Im desperate and I call them I talk as if I'm from a shop and confirm the list price. On several occasions I've had to get them to correct the invoice after they meet me and try to add the "consumer markup". Of course if you have time there are Subaru dealers that sell all their parts at a discount online so if you have time it's always better to buy from them. Without greater independence Tesla will never have this scenario.

So ... those studies are meaningless in this case. Dealerships are independently owned franchises whose purpose is to feed the repair shop, where the actual profits are.

Tesla's service centers are owned by the manufacturer. They do NOT operate as a profit source, but as a necessary evil. This is part of why their pricing seems kooky at times - it's driven by recovering costs, not sticking it to the customer. There are admittedly some services that seem priced out of whack -- some of that is to discourage folks from actually doing that. For example, bringing the car to a Tesla service center for a tire rotation. They'd rather you not do that. Like I said, they're not profit centers, but a necessary evil. So for every service that you can get elsewhere, for less money, that's technician time and resources that aren't fixing more urgent/pressing issues that have to be done at the service center.

They really don't want you coming in for a tire patch. They accommodate such things as a courtesy but for the most part -- if it's a service you can get done somewhere else, it's better for you and for Tesla. Total "flip of the script" compared to the usual dealership that wants you in there for every little thing.

Heck, the (Tesla-affiliated) Owners' Club I belong to is running DIY workshops to teach people how do to their own maintenance -- cabin filters, HVAC cleaning, wipers, brake burnishing, even 12V battery replacements. It's a win-win; the club runs the workshop, the owner gets a discount on the part, and the owners don't clog up the service center for tasks they can do themselves.

Now, all that said, I have found their pricing for parts to be *very* fair in the past. My dog chewed up the rear center seatbelt buckle in the Model 3... Total cost for replacement was $150 -- $110 for the part (was buckle for the center and right hand seat -- it's one piece.) and $40 for the labor. Pretty darn reasonable if you ask me, especially when they did the service in my driveway.

So I wouldn't equate what you've experienced with Subaru to Tesla ... they're very, very different business models. You simply can't compare the two. There's no "consumer markup", no "let me pack on the 15000 mile service" advisor getting paid on each upsell ... it's just not how Tesla operates. Nobody's working on commission there - so they don't think "here comes a laydown!" when you walk in the door.

I'm sorry you were off on the wrong foot here; almost have to forget what you know about the car industry when dealing with Tesla. It's just not the same thing. Sometimes better, sometimes worse, but almost ALWAYS different!

Regarding warranty work using reconditioned parts, I admit that I've had relatively little dealer-performed warranty work on any of my cars. I've had a string of Subarus and from what I know virtually everything from them comes as new. I'll ask my friends that are a bit more "behind the wall" on whether Subaru uses any reconditioned parts and what types of things they would be, but afaik it was basically "none". At a minimum, if a part is reconditioned by the manufacturer it should be a different price, so I would expect Tesla to have to declare what a reconditioned part is but I don't know that they are when non-warranty work is being done. All this makes me want to start an east coast Tesla repair and rebuild garage. Seems like a ripe market if you can push through the right to repair issues.

So -- I'm not saying most parts are reconditioned; usually they are, as you said, new for warranty work. But all manufacturers reserve that right -- and sometimes it does come down to that. And it makes sense -- if they don't have, say, a brand new alternator on the shelf, but have a rebuilt one, they can get you back on the road quicker. And this only applies to warranty work BTW -- non-warranty work yes, they'd have to explain it's a reman product, which they do. We've seen enough folks who've gotten a remanufactured battery to know that.

edit: For reference, here's the Subaru 2022 warranty manual: Warranties 2022

To quote: "

Repairs at No Charge​

Defective parts will be repaired or, at the option of SOA or your Authorized SUBARU Retailer, replaced with new or remanufactured parts without charge to you for labor and materials.
"

So, yes, they really do all reserve that right.

Last edited:
So ... those studies are meaningless in this case. Dealerships are independently owned franchises whose purpose is to feed the repair shop, where the actual profits are.

Tesla's service centers are owned by the manufacturer. They do NOT operate as a profit source, but as a necessary evil. This is part of why their pricing seems kooky at times - it's driven by recovering costs, not sticking it to the customer. There are admittedly some services that seem priced out of whack -- some of that is to discourage folks from actually doing that. For example, bringing the car to a Tesla service center for a tire rotation. They'd rather you not do that. Like I said, they're not profit centers, but a necessary evil. So for every service that you can get elsewhere, for less money, that's technician time and resources that aren't fixing more urgent/pressing issues that have to be done at the service center.
We don't need to speculate on Tesla's motivation for running service centers. They are a company out to make a profit. There are myriad ways they could see the service of their cars to furthers those ends. In my case, I just wanted them to sell me a wheel. Clearly they do not want to sell customers parts.

We don't need to speculate on Tesla's motivation for running service centers. They are a company out to make a profit. There are myriad ways they could see the service of their cars to furthers those ends. In my case, I just wanted them to sell me a wheel. Clearly they do not want to sell customers parts.

I’m not speculating. Their CEO has said as such.

Again, they have no issue selling parts whatsoever but it’s going to be done the way they do business, which is via an app. If you’re expecting an old school parts counter, that’s not going to be there. Nor is someone manning the reception desk, putting you on hold with some horrid music interrupted by an ad for a Johnson rod lube and comb filter change.

So if you want a part, I suggest getting accustomed to using the app. I’ve done it myself several times and never had an issue. In fact, I’ve had them deliver the parts using mobile service (without the service) which I thought was vaguely nuts for a $11 part!

well, let's see. There is a service appointment in the app right now for the rim that has still not arrived. I seem to remember they wouldn't tell me when the rim would arrive on Monday. I have messaged them asking for an ETA for the rim. We'll see if I get any "communication" back.