TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 Aero Wheels Without Cap Painted Black

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by scottieot, Aug 1, 2018.

1. scottieot

scottieot New Member

I purchased my model 3 and selected Aero Wheels with the intention of taking off the main cap and replacing with the Aero Wheel Cap Kit that can be purchased on the Tesla website. However, once I took ownership of the vehicle I decided I wanted black wheels to match the paint. I looked all over the internet for pictures of the Aero Wheels without the main cap that had been powder coated and painted black. However, I couldn't find them anywhere and figured I would share the outcome in case somebody else out there has the same vision. I chose a satin black finish for the wheels, used the emblem from the Aero Wheel Cap Kit and had those painted satin black. Lastly, instead of using the lug nut caps from the kit I replaced the stock lugs with satin black lugs.

Unknown-1.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg

• Like x 1
  2. pleeau

pleeau Member

Thanks for this! I am picking up my black p3d soon so good to have this pic.

Looks awesome!

3. PooshdM3

PooshdM3 Member

Looks great! May I ask how much it cost to powder coat your wheels black?

• Like x 1
  4. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

Yeah, I've wondered if they can be powder coated without stripping off the factory coating the wheels come with.

5. scottieot

scottieot New Member

I paid $150 per wheel for the powder coating and paint. The lugs were a bit on the expensive side at $5 a piece. Honestly, not sure if that was a good deal as I didn’t price it out. I went to a place I used in the past and trusted to do a good job.

• Informative x 1
  6. loganthefirst

loganthefirst Member

Obsidian Black Metallic or Solid Black?

7. scottieot

scottieot New Member

The color is satin black.

8. scottieot

scottieot New Member

Car is solid black

9. PooshdM3

PooshdM3 Member

Thanks! Looks great!

10. azdryheat

azdryheat Member

Who did your wheels? That is actually a good price.