Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 aftermarket wheels VS Tesla service or denial of

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all!

I am about to order the AWD version of Model 3 (online pre-reveal canadian order, non-owner).

Am currently hesitating between upgrading for the 19" sport wheels or buying aftermarket wheels. I think I remember reading somewhere that Tesla wouldn't service a car fitted with aftermarket wheels. I am just curious about the extent of the denial of service, if indeed true. For example, would they not work on a faulty touchscreen because stock wheels have been removed, the same way that Apple would'nt change a screen on an iPhone fitted with an aftermarket battery? What if the brakes were faulty, would they refuse to look at them because the wheels are not theirs?

I would prefer titanium/gunmetal wheels, which I could get with aftermarket 19" turbines. However, if I need to change thewheels everytime the car has to be serviced, I will definitely reconsider...

Speaking of which, I saw pictures of powdercoated 19" Tesla sport wheels which looked really great. Any advice as to powdercoating vs liquid painting the wheels or wrapping the wheels, and the durability of either process with canadian winters and calcium?

Last, any advice on or against 3rd party TPMS sensors?

Thanks a lot!

It is illegal to deny warranty or service on a car with equivalent aftermarket parts. I highly doubt Tesla would do that or face lawsuits up the wazoo!
He's in Canada. While I assume Canada has similar pro-consumer laws, best for him to check. But yes, in the US, unless Tesla can prove that the replacement part itself is the cause of damage, they cannot just say "well, look, you replaced the wheels, and the brakes are part of that area, so... no service for you!"

In most service centers, if you have aftermarket wheels then Tesla takes the following stance:

1. The will work on any part of the car as normal other than the wheels.
2. They will remove and reinstall the wheels if they need to do so in order to work on other parts of the car like brakes.
3. They won't do work on the wheels themselves, e.g. mount/dismount a tire, service TPMS, balance.

I find this a fair balance.