Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Air con not fully functioning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good morning all,

I had my Tesla Model 3 delivered to me on Nov 22 and have so far been loving it however i have recently noticed that when i use Manual control for the Aircon, the drivers side of the vehicle vane does not function properly it seems to keep blowing the air towards the body and legs and not towards the steering wheel where i can cool my hands.

I did set up a service and the Tesla tech was very helpful he contacted me a week before my booking and asked if he could come on site and have a look at the vehicle a few days before the booking, so yesterday he came in he too noticed that the drivers side of the air vent would not throw the air upwards, while the passenger side did just fine, we went to his service vehicle to see if this was the case too. Sure enough the service vehicle one worked just fine, he connected his computer to my vehicle and did all the service test and they were all passed. The actuators were working fine, he did a hard battery reset and still no change.

He then contacted his boss who advised that i should leave the aircon on auto as the car learns from this and after a week it will become alright. I am unsure and fail to see how is it that when i manually want to control the aircon and the flow it should just do it. If any one else knows more or has knowledge and experience around this, i would appreciate it, or i am wondering if tesla is giving me the run around?

Thank you all

Hmm. I'd be skeptical about that story myself. I'dve thought that if Auto did any sort of calibration on that it would likely happen in the first few seconds. And should also happen in manual really.
Is there any change at all when you adjust fully up or down?

I have a related problem with the A/C in our car (2020 build).

My problem is that my car will still blow cool air on manual mode, with AC even if the temperature is set up to 25C.

Additionally the fan speed is very low between 1-6 and will then be almost full blast from 7-10.

I raised a request and also got a call from a SC a few days before to get some more info. Similar response about keeping it on Auto for a while and seeing if the behaviour changes. The diagnosis i got was that perhaps the AC is overriding my commands to heat up the car when the temperature outside is very warm (ok, car knows better… hahaha)

Today i had it on exclusively in Auto and the temp stayed cool at 25C with external temp showing as 23C.

Reactions: montybhai
I have been converted back , Tesla service will invite me to their workshop when they have more cars there to compare the air con work, personally I think I am being mucked around
Wow very poor excuse, like your ever going to get that invite... maybe in 4 years time when your warranty has expired
Whats next, tell you drive around with your windows open to acclimatize the airCON (job)
Set your carpet on fire if it gets to cold
Sounds like they are just trying to get you to go away

I thought there was a show room in Welly surely they can check a showroom/demo car if they really don't how the aircon is supposed to function
or surely they can reach out to someone who does know how its supposed to work

looks to be plenty of new and used model 3 in inventory in Welly to compare

Wow very poor excuse, like your ever going to get that invite... maybe in 4 years time when your warranty has expired
Whats next, tell you drive around with your windows open to acclimatize the airCON (job)
Set your carpet on fire if it gets to cold
Sounds like they are just trying to get you to go away

I thought there was a show room in Welly surely they can check a showroom/demo car if they really don't how the aircon is supposed to function
or surely they can reach out to someone who does know how its supposed to work

looks to be plenty of new and used model 3 in inventory in Welly to compare
Agreed, i just paid a trip to the tesla service centre and another person took a look and was like or its seems similar and I noted to him that it was not similar because the drivers side of the vent does not throw air towards the the upper mark as displayed in the screen and the passenger side set to the same setting does throw the air higher (Drivers side keeps throwing the air towards the legs and not towards the steering wheels where i can cool off my sweaty hands.) So they sat in the tesla Model Y and i did notice the difference, and told the service person, now they were sayin that they may want to bring in the vehicles made within the same period to assess if its the case. I will have to be patient and wait for their call.

This was a very good watch :

Agreed, i just paid a trip to the tesla service centre and another person took a look and was like or its seems similar and I noted to him that it was not similar because the drivers side of the vent does not throw air towards the the upper mark as displayed in the screen and the passenger side set to the same setting does throw the air higher (Drivers side keeps throwing the air towards the legs and not towards the steering wheels where i can cool off my sweaty hands.) So they sat in the tesla Model Y and i did notice the difference, and told the service person, now they were sayin that they may want to bring in the vehicles made within the same period to assess if its the case. I will have to be patient and wait for their call.

This was a very good watch :

Did they fixed this one?

If not, you can probably share your delivery date, current software version, kilometres, tyre thread depth, and car colour with everyone here.... that will help identify exactly the same batch car with same colour and age and wear and road stability.... then make sure that another car driver age, build, and sweating level are almost similar.... then go to service centre.. I am sure they will have no other excuse left to wait further :rolleyes:;)

It's surprising when experts answer simple questions stupidly... but Tesla still manage to do it. :D😂

God of you to ask, no they have not, they did get the vehicle from the same delivery batch and called me in I noticed the difference but their main focus was how all the lights were green on their test. It’s like speaking to a brick wall
nothing new... my last visit they said only USA branch knows more.
we are not that small of a country... and authorised service centre used to mean expertise at one time.

That's why I changed air filters myself as car started smelling. turns out all internet videos and official tesla videos are wrong... for NZ cars it's not on passenger side, they are on driver side. glad I checked, as everything in guide was wrong - lol

Reactions: montybhai
Ok I have some update after fighting with Tesla for so long and presenting them with all tests and comparisons I was finally called in to the Tesla service centre in Lower Hutt, they finally agreed with the fault that I was having, and they explained to me the reason why the air con was not throwing air in the desired direction was because the dash trim originally had a seal below it so that the air circulations can be achieved where directed, it turns out in my vehicle this was never installed and it also turns out that this was a batch of vehicles missing it. They had it fitted for no charge course. I encourage you, if you have 2022 batch model 3 to check your air con and approach Tesla in relation to this matter.

Ok I have some update after fighting with Tesla for so long and presenting them with all tests and comparisons I was finally called in to the Tesla service centre in Lower Hutt, they finally agreed with the fault that I was having, and they explained to me the reason why the air con was not throwing air in the desired direction was because the dash trim originally had a seal below it so that the air circulations can be achieved where directed, it turns out in my vehicle this was never installed and it also turns out that this was a batch of vehicles missing it. They had it fitted for no charge course. I encourage you, if you have 2022 batch model 3 to check your air con and approach Tesla in relation to this matter.
we are in the same boat... but different waterways....

Firstly glad your issue resolved.

I just received my Model Y delivery this month... requested to transfer FSD from my Model 3... received car and it navigates on autopilot, but not stopping at traffic signals... turns out they gave me Enhanced Autopilot instead of FSD... reached out... they made changes... my non-expiring enhanced autopilot became trial expiring in December. follow-ups and after few trial error, now finally I have actual FSD in place which doesn't expire.

It's not a good impression and they might be calling me trouble customer - but if I was not checking and being a pain all along... I was ending up with reduced feature for shorter duration (instead of lifetime only 4 months)...

It baffles me that how they can miss an item like certain seal in your vehicle or entire FSD feature in my case.... not a small thing.

Quality control is either not paid enough and cutting corners... or have untrained people... or just simply doesn't exist....

we are in the same boat... but different waterways....

Firstly glad your issue resolved.

I just received my Model Y delivery this month... requested to transfer FSD from my Model 3... received car and it navigates on autopilot, but not stopping at traffic signals... turns out they gave me Enhanced Autopilot instead of FSD... reached out... they made changes... my non-expiring enhanced autopilot became trial expiring in December. follow-ups and after few trial error, now finally I have actual FSD in place which doesn't expire.

It's not a good impression and they might be calling me trouble customer - but if I was not checking and being a pain all along... I was ending up with reduced feature for shorter duration (instead of lifetime only 4 months)...

It baffles me that how they can miss an item like certain seal in your vehicle or entire FSD feature in my case.... not a small thing.

Quality control is either not paid enough and cutting corners... or have untrained people... or just simply doesn't exist....
On the naughty list
no-fsd-for.jpg

Fool me once shame on you, but damn bro you bought another car off them after that experience?
I am a glass half full person.
I had bad experiences but I had way more good experiences
None of my old cars did following:
  1. drive themselves (steering and other controls... because dynamic cruise control was done by all my previous cars since 2004)
  2. have free software updates, fixes, at very nice frequency
  3. have new features added on regular basis
  4. can be controlled or monitored remotely (Sentry, Summon)
  5. Can entertain me and my family (Netflix and all... my Audi's used to have media upgrades and massage chairs, but media would only play certain format from memory card and Freeview in certain areas... )
  6. Can be supported with good charging network (well all my previous car were ICE)
so there are so many plus there....
Yes they are not as professionally trained at branches, or mainly lack detailed knowledge as most things controlled by headquarter... but same was with traditional cars, little less but it was there.
Yes, cars come with imperfection, scratches, and sometime missing parts.... well same happens with ICE and other cars, mistakes happen... however no other car have hardware improvements and modifications as frequent as Tesla... Tesla beats Samsung and Apple in speed of changing hardware and software...

so would I stop buying new Samsung galaxy because last one wasn't perfect? probably not, because new one got better camera and features....

and I bought Model Y.... waiting for my Cybertruck....
Like Tesla driving experience and lifestyle.... love it... no others are near to that perfection...
there are negatives, but positives are way too many and too good to deter me.

On the other hand, waiting till Tesla will sell FSD and infotainment as subscription to Audi... the moment they do, I will be buying Audi again for that Audi premium quality and customer service (but with Tesla's software and hardware smarts) ;)

• Funny
Reactions: Ecoli and montybhai
The way i see i have the car of the future now.

As a kid I used to think it would be cool to have a car that could drive itself and come to me. I never dreamed it would be possible. I aways thought it would be some far of time in the future. But it's here now in my garage!

My car has been trouble free for 4 years. It did fail WOF for control arms
Which were replaced under warranty

If you enjoy being on the cutting edge
with fast pace of change Tesla is the place for you.

If you'd rather have little to no improvements. Maybe a new grill change every 4 years or so stick to traditional manufacturers. With the way things are going may not be around in the not to distant future.

Tesla is a bit like Apple used to be, always moving forward , never looking back. You either come along for ride or get off

• Love
Reactions: Audietron
The way i see i have the car of the future now.

As a kid I used to think it would be cool to have a car that could drive itself and come to me. I never dreamed it would be possible. I aways thought it would be some far of time in the future. But it's here now in my garage!

My car has been trouble free for 4 years. It did fail WOF for control arms
Which were replaced under warranty

If you enjoy being on the cutting edge
with fast pace of change Tesla is the place for you.

If you'd rather have little to no improvements. Maybe a new grill change every 4 years or so stick to traditional manufacturers. With the way things are going may not be around in the not to distant future.

Tesla is a bit like Apple used to be, always moving forward , never looking back. You either come along for ride or get off
perfectly said... except Apple example... hope Tesla doesn't go Apple way and car start overheat in future.

Anything new is different... so results or experience we always had or expected may not be there - however, results or experience we always dreamt of or didn't even dream of could be there.

Comparing traditional ICE cars with Tesla is like comparison between ex-wife and new girlfriend - one was always same forever, other is always full of surprise - new and shiny 😂 😂