Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 alarm setting for travelling by ferry

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We occasionally do the 2 day crossing to Bilbao. I can disable tilt/intrusion alarm as long as I disable sentry mode first. Once that’s done, the car goes to sleep and there’s no appreciable loss in battery during the trip.

Does alarm going off on a long-ish ferry journey use much battery?

With constant trigger (which I doubt would be the case) I would say about the same as having Sentry Mode in operation since it would be waking the car. My own ferry uses have only been for relatively short hops but lots of people take longer ferries and there has never been a post on here suggesting an issue.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Isn’t battery loss a non- issue in this instance?

• Cars that have a tilt alarm can turn it off. So no alarm/loss of battery on a ferry; or
  • Cars don’t have tilt alarm, so it can’t be turned off (because it doesn’t exist), can’t set off the alarm/use any battery.

Reactions: Adopado
Is there any data that indicates Tesla alarms are likely to go off on ferries if you just get out and lock the car normally? We took our MY across the Channel last night on a ferry in a rough sea from storm Otto, and there were no messages after the journey to suggest the alarm had triggered.

Is there any data that indicates Tesla alarms are likely to go off on ferries if you just get out and lock the car normally? We took our MY across the Channel last night on a ferry in a rough sea from storm Otto, and there were no messages after the journey to suggest the alarm had triggered.
If you have the option to turn off tilt/intrusion and you don’t do it then the alarm goes off. I, ahem, know this ;)

Reactions: WannabeOwner
The easiest way to avoid alarms on shorter ferry crossings:

Turn on Dog Mode!

Keeps the motion sensor off and keeps the internal temperature stable. After use, the alarm settings automatically return to whatever they were before.