Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 aluminium plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone managed to put a metal pressed (is that the right term) numberplate on their M3 without the brackets?

I passed a Model Y the other day that appeared to have this, and it looked great, no brackets and definitely a metal plate.

I currently have vinyls and…well the edges are peeling off which looks bad. I find with the washes it eventually starts peeling

Has anyone managed to put a metal pressed (is that the right term) numberplate on their M3 without the brackets?

I passed a Model Y the other day that appeared to have this, and it looked great, no brackets and definitely a metal plate.

I currently have vinyls and…well the edges are peeling off which looks bad. I find with the washes it eventually starts peeling
You could take of the surround on the front and put a slight bend in the metal number plate and use 3M adhesive tape to mount the plate to the carrier (underneath the surround).
The rear plate can be mounted directly the car using the 3M tape.
Personally, I haven't made this change as the edge of the number plate isn't very smooth. I dud consider getting some acrylic plates as they have a chamfered edge but then I couldn't be bothered to order any...

Reactions: Andrew_SE23
You could take of the surround on the front and put a slight bend in the metal number plate and use 3M adhesive tape to mount the plate to the carrier (underneath the surround).
The rear plate can be mounted directly the car using the 3M tape.
Personally, I haven't made this change as the edge of the number plate isn't very smooth. I dud consider getting some acrylic plates as they have a chamfered edge but then I couldn't be bothered to order any...
Out of curiosity, what is it about the edge of the plate not being smooth? Getting caught on something or does it just not look right?

Sorry this might be a silly question but I haven’t got the original plates in front of me. Are the original plates aluminium or acrylic? Wondering if I can achieve your suggestion with the existing plates.

I’m ideally trying to achieve the flush effect you get with vinyl.

Out of curiosity, what is it about the edge of the plate not being smooth? Getting caught on something or does it just not look right?
The plates are Aluminium and the edge aren't that smooth. I think that cleaning the front of the car around the plate could result in a cut to your hand/sponge...
Take out the plates on your car and gave a look. Takes seconds to remove them...

I've mounted the plates directly onto my model Y and it has worked well. IMO, the car looks much better without the plastic frames.

The plates were aluminium which enabled me to bend the front plate gently to match the curve in the front mounting plate. Having cleaned all surfaces with Isopropyl Alcohol, I used 3M VHB 5952F double sided tape to fix the plates.

You do have to be careful of the sharp plate edges - I used fine emery paper to remove the worst of the sharp edges.

I've mounted the plates directly onto my model Y and it has worked well. IMO, the car looks much better without the plastic frames.

The plates were aluminium which enabled me to bend the front plate gently to match the curve in the front mounting plate. Having cleaned all surfaces with Isopropyl Alcohol, I used 3M VHB 5952F double sided tape to fix the plates.

You do have to be careful of the sharp plate edges - I used fine emery paper to remove the worst of the sharp edges.
Thank you!

Where did you get your aluminium plates? Seems a lot of online retailers are out of stock at the moment. I’m also not looking for the beveled character style, which some places appear to do as standard with the aluminium plates.

Any tips on how you approached bending the plate, or was it relatively straight forward and you do it as you apply?

Thank you!

Where did you get your aluminium plates? Seems a lot of online retailers are out of stock at the moment. I’m also not looking for the beveled character style, which some places appear to do as standard with the aluminium plates.

Any tips on how you approached bending the plate, or was it relatively straight forward and you do it as you apply?
I was fortunate that my car was supplied by Tesla with the metal backed plates.

The bending process was not scientific - I used my leg, gently bending the plate in stages to avoid cracking the (plastic?) front face.

Reactions: M1tch
Where did you get your aluminium plates? Seems a lot of online retailers are out of stock at the moment.

That's such a strange concept to me. In Texas, you go to the local Department of Public Safety government office and they hand you your plates ... well after you hand them some money of course

and you have to get new plates every 7 years (because the reflectivity degrades)