Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3: Ambient Lighting turns off after updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After every software upgrade on the Model 3, the Ambient Lighting button gets gets turned off / grayed out / unselected.
Then I have to go into settings to turn it back on. This is not something I want to keep track of. All other options are set as they were before the update, but this one setting gets turned off.
I don't understand why this specific setting is affected. I don't think it's any kind of hardware defect. The ambient lighting works normally when I start it and the setting remains effective the whole time until there is a software update.

• Disagree
Reactions: cypho
yep, its a glitch thats been happening for a couple recent updates on all of our model 3s, it affects interior lights and ambient lights, along with sometimes turning sound quality down in the settings as well.

yep, its a glitch thats been happening for a couple recent updates on all of our model 3s, it affects interior lights and ambient lights, along with sometimes turning sound quality down in the settings as well.
Yes! You're the first one to mention this but on 20.12 I had noticed one day when adjusting my EQ settings which i rarely do, that my immersive sound was off.

I also had this issue 3 or 4 times recently where when I woke the car my driving mode had been changed to Creep when it has been on Hold ever since it came out. I almost rear ended someone when it didn't stop

I figure I'm lucky if ANY of the settings persist. It's a common bug, the programmer forgets to read the previous settings back in on something, so they revert to (conservative) defaults. I've done it myself. Not just once.

After an update, I've learned to always do the two button hold full reset of the display computer, followed by a full power off with phone in airplane mode, and sit there for 3 minutes as the car gradually shuts down. Then tap brake to restart, and go through and check the options. That's a 5 minute investment that seems to prevent a lot of anomalies and issues.

Don't forget to turn the phone's communications back on, or you'll be wondering why the alarm went off ;-)
Remember @Knightshade's mantra: "There's ALWAYS a reason".

Last edited:
Reactions: XLR82XS
I’ve noticed this same problem but with the immersive sound option. I set it to high and sometimes I have to go back and fix it after updates, but not every update. As someone mentioned above I now just run through the settings after an update making sure everything’s good and there’s nothing new.

Reactions: lUtriaNt