TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 and 1 pedal driving slices through traffic like butter

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by insaneoctane, Jun 29, 2018.

1. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

I have not seen mutch on this topic and I risk being called a prick-of-a-driver, but here goes anyway...
    I've recently been noticing that when I approach a lane of traffic that I need to merge into (and probably should have merged a while back) that the 3 is like a precision scalpel for inserting itself in an available gap. Not only does it instantly accelerate into the gap, but lifting the pedal returns instant regenerative braking to knock off some of that speed that was so quickly generated. It is amazingly capable of this task and the other guys just can't stand a chance. Maybe it's just an LA thing, but I just thought I'd share my experience. Love this car!

• Like x 21
    • Love x 2
  2. jp3pac

jp3pac Member

It's really true, I have the same experience in Portland.
    In addition, the accelerator allows incredible precision when parking, I can nudge this heavy car fractions of an inch in my parking garage.

• Like x 1
  3. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

tenor-2.gif

P.S. Confession: Totally looking forward to it. ;)

• Funny x 3
  4. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

No, this is an EV thing. :D Single pedal driving is great because you can go and (mostly) stop with one foot. And merging should be done at the end of the line (as far down as you can). Google zipper merge. It’s the recommended way now.

• Like x 5
  5. mrsandman

mrsandman Member

I completely agree with the acceleration but the problem with removing your foot off the accelerator is the brake lights turn on. What pisses me off a lot is when someone cuts me off and then immediately steps on the brakes. In fact the only thing that bugs me more is when someone does this and there is no car behind me. :mad:

• Like x 3
  6. Dr. J

Dr. J Member

Practicing my 7-word Portuguese vocabulary in an Elmo voice to amuse my wife (really, amuse myself). Thanks for that! :)

• Funny x 1
  7. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

If you remove it ‘slightly’, partial regen shouldn’t turn the lights on. Full certainly will since you are slowing down as much as brakes would have done. Slight regen is like coasting. It takes a while to learn how to modulate your ‘foot response’. And if Tesla is changing how regen works in recent releases, that sure doesn’t help!

• Like x 1
  8. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

Single pedal driving makes highway driving so much more pleasant. I used to hate having to slam on the breaks when the flow of traffic comes to a sudden stop.

• Like x 1
  9. MacGreiner

I agree that true one pedal driving is one of the most amazing advantages of EV driving. When I say true one pedal I mean try driving an i3 or new Leaf. I wish Tesla would adopt a similar mapping for regen.
    In my old i3 I remember several trips to work where I never used my brake. Even when parking.

• Like x 2
  10. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

Regen isn’t strong enough for that maneuver.

• Like x 1
  11. Need

Need Active Member

Yes it is an EV thing. I noticed that when we got our MX too. This is especially true when you normally drive a hybrid LOL. Not really cutting, but just merging to any lane. I feel so much safer when I know that the other car doesn't need to brake at all when I merge and I don't have to slow down to wait for the other car to pass first.

12. rhaekar

rhaekar Member

You use the pedals on the freeway like a peasant? I'd say 99% of my freeway driving is with AP.

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  13. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

The Bolt is similiar to the i3 I thought. I can get to a complete stop without touching the brakes.

14. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

AP uses the physical brakes more than I would. I don’t like that.

• Like x 3
  15. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

A peasant with a Model 3 :cool:

Most of my freeway driving is using EAP. I only drive manually when I'm merging or exiting.

16. seattlite2004

seattlite2004 Member

The Bolt and I think the new Leaf will decelerate to a stop without engaging the friction brakes. With the Bolt, one can also use the steering wheel paddle to more aggressively apply regen braking in either D (low regen) or L (high regen) mode. I read L mode regen maxes out at 0.3g...unsure that value was with the wheel paddle engaged.

Motor Trend had some comments regarding one pedal driving and regen in this article: The Automobile 2.0: Chevrolet Bolt EV vs Nissan Leaf vs Tesla Model 3 Long Range - Motor Trend

"During our tests, the Bolt and Leaf similarly lift-pedal decelerated, though the Chevrolet’s can be further intensified and fine-tuned by squeezing a steering wheel paddle. By comparison, the Model 3’s regen deceleration is more of a speed corrector; the brake pedal is needed for real slowing and absolutely required to come to a halt, as regen vanishes at about 4 mph."​

17. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

Applying the wheel paddle-brake takes the regen to a bit above L regen level. It's also a handy way to disengage CC (remember that's not traffic sensing) without needing to use the brake pedal. Remember it's not Traffic Aware CC so what I do is get my foot ready touching the accelerator to "catch" the hard regen that would otherwise happen when I touch the brake-paddle to cancel CC.

My wife switches between L & D depending on traffic she's in but I drive on L all the time (I kinda wish it could be set to default to L but I'm at the point of "double-tap to engage" is mentally just "put it in gear". *shrug* This is one thing I'm not looking forward to on the Tesla, I expect I'm going to miss that "come to a full stop" regen. :(

18. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

The phrase from the Model S early days was "Identify and Occupy." Good to hear Model 3 advances this tradition. :)

• Like x 2
  19. gregd

gregd Active Member

The only thing to be aware of when you first do some speed-matching lane changes is that the EV's responsiveness is very quick, as compared to the old ICE. In the ICE you had to jam on the gas pedal a bit before you need the speed, because of the delay in the car's spooling up of the engine, down-shifting gears, and all. If you do that in an EV, you'll be impaled in the tail pipe of the car that's ahead of you.

It's an easy thing to get used to, but just be careful the first time.

20. Robert831

Robert831 Member

I've been wondering what will happen when there are more EVs on the road, and both drivers in a situation think they're going to jump in front of the other. Boom boom cwash cwash.

• Funny x 1