Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 and 1 pedal driving slices through traffic like butter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have not seen mutch on this topic and I risk being called a prick-of-a-driver, but here goes anyway...
I've recently been noticing that when I approach a lane of traffic that I need to merge into (and probably should have merged a while back) that the 3 is like a precision scalpel for inserting itself in an available gap. Not only does it instantly accelerate into the gap, but lifting the pedal returns instant regenerative braking to knock off some of that speed that was so quickly generated. It is amazingly capable of this task and the other guys just can't stand a chance. Maybe it's just an LA thing, but I just thought I'd share my experience. Love this car!

tenor-2.gif

P.S. Confession: Totally looking forward to it. ;)

I completely agree with the acceleration but the problem with removing your foot off the accelerator is the brake lights turn on. What pisses me off a lot is when someone cuts me off and then immediately steps on the brakes. In fact the only thing that bugs me more is when someone does this and there is no car behind me. :mad:
If you remove it ‘slightly’, partial regen shouldn’t turn the lights on. Full certainly will since you are slowing down as much as brakes would have done. Slight regen is like coasting. It takes a while to learn how to modulate your ‘foot response’. And if Tesla is changing how regen works in recent releases, that sure doesn’t help!

Reactions: ℬête Noire
I agree that true one pedal driving is one of the most amazing advantages of EV driving. When I say true one pedal I mean try driving an i3 or new Leaf. I wish Tesla would adopt a similar mapping for regen.
In my old i3 I remember several trips to work where I never used my brake. Even when parking.

Yes it is an EV thing. I noticed that when we got our MX too. This is especially true when you normally drive a hybrid LOL. Not really cutting, but just merging to any lane. I feel so much safer when I know that the other car doesn't need to brake at all when I merge and I don't have to slow down to wait for the other car to pass first.

I agree that true one pedal driving is one of the most amazing advantages of EV driving. When I say true one pedal I mean try driving an i3 or new Leaf. I wish Tesla would adopt a similar mapping for regen.
In my old i3 I remember several trips to work where I never used my brake. Even when parking.
The Bolt and I think the new Leaf will decelerate to a stop without engaging the friction brakes. With the Bolt, one can also use the steering wheel paddle to more aggressively apply regen braking in either D (low regen) or L (high regen) mode. I read L mode regen maxes out at 0.3g...unsure that value was with the wheel paddle engaged.

Motor Trend had some comments regarding one pedal driving and regen in this article: The Automobile 2.0: Chevrolet Bolt EV vs Nissan Leaf vs Tesla Model 3 Long Range - Motor Trend

"During our tests, the Bolt and Leaf similarly lift-pedal decelerated, though the Chevrolet’s can be further intensified and fine-tuned by squeezing a steering wheel paddle. By comparison, the Model 3’s regen deceleration is more of a speed corrector; the brake pedal is needed for real slowing and absolutely required to come to a halt, as regen vanishes at about 4 mph."​

The Bolt and I think the new Leaf will decelerate to a stop without engaging the friction brakes. With the Bolt, one can also use the steering wheel paddle to more aggressively apply regen braking in either D (low regen) or L (high regen) mode. I read L mode regen maxes out at 0.3g...unsure that value was with the wheel paddle engaged.

Applying the wheel paddle-brake takes the regen to a bit above L regen level. It's also a handy way to disengage CC (remember that's not traffic sensing) without needing to use the brake pedal. Remember it's not Traffic Aware CC so what I do is get my foot ready touching the accelerator to "catch" the hard regen that would otherwise happen when I touch the brake-paddle to cancel CC.

My wife switches between L & D depending on traffic she's in but I drive on L all the time (I kinda wish it could be set to default to L but I'm at the point of "double-tap to engage" is mentally just "put it in gear". *shrug* This is one thing I'm not looking forward to on the Tesla, I expect I'm going to miss that "come to a full stop" regen. :(

The only thing to be aware of when you first do some speed-matching lane changes is that the EV's responsiveness is very quick, as compared to the old ICE. In the ICE you had to jam on the gas pedal a bit before you need the speed, because of the delay in the car's spooling up of the engine, down-shifting gears, and all. If you do that in an EV, you'll be impaled in the tail pipe of the car that's ahead of you.

It's an easy thing to get used to, but just be careful the first time.