Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 and J1772 charging issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an interesting puzzle to solve. Please let me know if you encountered something similar or if you have an idea about what's going on.

I have a Tesla Model 3.

Here is what doesn't work, the main issue:
+ When I try to charge my model 3 with my home charger, a J1772 plug with a tesla adapter, "Bosch EL-51254 Power Max 30 Amp Electric Vehicle Charging Station", I get the following message: "Charge equipment problem, try a different cable".

Here is what works:
+ I can use that home charger on my other non-Tesla electric cars and they charge normally => my charger works
+ I can charge my Tesla with the mobile connector to a 110V outlet
+ I can charge my Tesla with a J1772 plug and an adapter on public charging stations => my Tesla should be fine

So if both the charging station at home and Tesla seem to work separately, why can't they work together?

Is there anything else I should try or do you have a suggestion about what could be happening?

Thanks

Alex

I don't remember hearing about issues with the Bosch EVSEs, but that's not unheard of since there are some known issues with the Siemens unit. You may be running into something similar.

Siemens versicharge not charging model 3

Hopefully, you can find another local Tesla owner to try it out. You'll probably need to involve Tesla support to fix the issue.

There have been compatibility issues with how different devices handle the ground fault detection and the charging timers. There's just enough ambiguity in corner cases on the J1772 spec to run into compatibility issues. You can't do much with the ground fault detection, but you could try disabling any charging timers that are active on either the EVSE or the Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: eprosenx