TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 and S failed automatic braking system stress test

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by kingbugca, Aug 7, 2018.

1. kingbugca

kingbugca New Member

• Disagree x 3
    • Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  2. chinnam3

chinnam3 Member

#2 chinnam3, Aug 7, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    • Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  3. Big Dog

Big Dog Member

It'll be interesting to see how Tesla responds. Per the M3 manual (p.76), Emergency Braking is purposely not designed to stop the car short of a wall/object. However, teh Highway Traffic Safety Institute has great influence....

4. mekberg

mekberg Member

Business Insider FUD

• Disagree x 6
    • Like x 2
  5. Big Dog

Big Dog Member

• Like x 2
  6. Gavyne

Gavyne Member

#6 Gavyne, Aug 7, 2018
    I can't help but notice how good the Model 3 performed at lane keeping compared to the other vehicles, this is actually more challenging to code and design than automatic braking. Plus with adaptive cruise control enabled, the Tesla's were braking automatically just fine. In other words when the car is supposed to drive itself, it did wonderfully. It only failed to stop at an object when the driver's supposed to be in control.

It would seem software adjustments could fix the automatic braking issue, it's just a matter of how sensitive it wants to make it. I personally feel better driving in a Model 3 knowing how good its autopilot is compared to the competition. Tests show how much safe it is. I don't need the car to brake for me when I'm in control.

• Like x 2
  7. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

The data is true, but the BI headline is FUDly/ click baity.
    One one test (AEB with ACC off), the Teslas did worse (by IIHS criteria, Tesla specifies AEB as 25 MPH max deceleration, and the test started at 31 MPH). On most of the other tests, they were as good or better than the competition.

• Like x 2
  8. chinnam3

chinnam3 Member

The intent of AEB is that when driver fails, system can take care, just like ABS, Airbags etc. If AEB is failing in normal mode, then it is a failure on part of Tesla.
    Only Tesla failed this AEB test "Only the two Teslas hit the stationary target in this test."
    I think main issue Tesla having is detecting stationary objects it seems.

• Like x 3
    • Disagree x 2
  9. Unpilot

Unpilot Active Member

• Disagree x 4
    • Like x 2
  10. diamond.g

diamond.g Active Member

AEB doesn't brake to a stop over 25 mph, says so in the manual. Not sure why IIHS dings it on doing what it says it does.

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 2
  11. chinnam3

chinnam3 Member

It does not make any sense to release brake after applying if there is an obstruction in the path. Does not matter if you are braking from 25 or 50MPH. This has been bane of many Tesla accidents.

• Disagree x 2
    • Like x 1
  12. Krazaak

Krazaak Member

In other news, feature does exactly what the manual says it's supposed to do. You can argue that the feature would be more valuable if it stopped to avoid a collision, but it didn't fail.

Of course the click-bait headline focused on the AEB (non)failure, but ignores the autosteer resuts. The Model 3 destroyed the other lane-keeping systems and the only reason the Model S didn't do as well is because it's an AP1 car running 2 year old firmware (7.1).

• Like x 3
  13. Krazaak

Krazaak Member

I'm really not sure why it's like that either. Perhaps it's intended to minimize the risks associated with false AEB events, but if the driver hasn't intervened (by overriding AEB) before the car has slowed by 25mph, it'd probably be safer to stop.

14. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

That is an incorrect conclusion.
    The Tesla did detect and did slow, but they are programmed to only reduce speed by 25 MPH and the test started at 31 MPH.
    From the IIHS article you linked to:
    Yes it does, because by then the driver would either be braking or accelerating, depending whether it is a real obstruction of not. For phantom braking a complete stop would be much worse.

• Like x 1
  15. eSpiritIV

eSpiritIV Member

New FUDster member. Ignore this post.

Admins please delete

• Disagree x 8
  16. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

I'm glad with TACC on, the Model 3 performed the best. Cause I always have TACC on. :)

• Like x 2
  17. chinnam3

chinnam3 Member

#17 chinnam3, Aug 7, 2018
    Yes, it makes much sense. If driver does not press accelerator, then continue to brake to complete stop.

BTW, I do override Phantom braking quite often. In specific area during my drive to/from office I encounter those deep shadows in the morning and evening and I can consistently see this phantom braking issue.

18. chinnam3

chinnam3 Member

see the notes below from IIHS

"A case in point is the stopped-vehicle ACC tests. On the track, the 5 series, E-Class and Teslas braked to avoid the target vehicle. This was the case even though the owner's manuals for all the test vehicles warn that ACC may not brake when it encounters vehicles that are already stopped when they come into sensor range.

Out on the road, engineers noted instances in which each vehicle except the Model 3 failed to respond to stopped vehicles ahead."

• Like x 2
  19. TheLocNar

TheLocNar Member

“I don’t like what I’m reading therefore it’s FUD!”

• Like x 5
    • Funny x 5
    • Love x 1
  20. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

The biggest headline is that the industry and owners are not well educated as to what the system does and doesn't do

• Like x 2