Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 and S failed automatic braking system stress test

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's Automatic emergency braking
Not automatic emergency stopping...
No one should be relying on this to prevent a crash, it's there for when the driver screws up.

TACC on the other hand is there to adjust speed and steering and stay clear of other cars, and it does ,with Model 3 doing the best of all the cars.

This. Yet I get all the disagrees for calling the Business Insider article FUD (pretty much all BI articles are regarding Tesla).

No I don't, but that shouldn't be that hard. Big blip, little blip, we're talking 40's technology here from what I can tell. I'll be the first to admit I'm not a radar expert, but this seems solvable to me.
Very tiny items can have very large radar returns, and vice versa - it’s dependent on surface angles relative to the antenna and receiver, not necessarily by the size of the object. It’s solvable by using multiple sensing types and cross referencing results. Tesla is focusing on object recognition using cameras, which is one of the more difficult ways of solving the problem. Other companies are using LIDAR, which gives a very nice 3D view of the world around the vehicle but doesn’t work well in inclement weather.

• Helpful
Reactions: NerdUno
Actually, straight from the source...

Driver Assistance Technologies

"Automatic emergency braking (AEB) systems detect an impending forward crash with another vehicle in time to avoid or mitigate the crash. These systems first alert the driver to take corrective action and supplements the driver’s braking to avoid the crash. If the driver does not respond, the AEB system may automatically apply the brakes to assist in preventing or reducing the severity of a crash. "
If AEB could really kick in and prevent a crash, why do so many cars with AEB still rear end other cars?

The solution required different tech, current tech just has too much noise in the signal to differentiate a true signal of an Item That Matters from the noise. That's why nobody has solved it yet.

They weren't solving this in the 40's, either. They were operating at MUCH longer distances, so had a lot more time (and weren't particularly accurate in some ways, then, either, certainly not soda can precise ;) ).
You're right about making out shapes, but the tech to actually create visual representations of objects by radar has been around since at least the late 60's. I worked on a plane that could create very accurate radar maps of terrain. Everything was stripped away but metal and dirt objects. Good for finding vehicles hiding the in jungle! Maybe that tech is not possible in a car yet.

• Informative
Reactions: NerdUno
You're right about making out shapes, but the tech to actually create visual representations of objects by radar has been around since at least the late 60's. I worked on a plane that could create very accurate radar maps of terrain. Everything was stripped away but metal and dirt objects. Good for finding vehicles hiding the in jungle! Maybe that tech is not possible in a car yet.
There's some technical limits (linked to the band you operate in) centered around power source, size, and cost. Also, again, the distances in a plane are a huge advantage, because you have time for multiple sweeps to accumulate data to help pull the signal out of the noise.

Stripping out non-metal objects is a bit dicy. Sure you don't have deer or pedestrians to worry about when flying a plane but.....

Last edited: