Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 and tire lifetime thread warranties

I have a Model 3 RWD LR with 18" aero wheels from january 2018 and am already ready to replace my second set of tires after less than 25k total miles in 18 months.

Tesla generally says they don't give any treadlife warranty on tires purchased through them. Is there a way to go to the actual tire manufacturer and ask for prorated replacements when the tread is low after just 10k miles?

Do I just need to buy my next set of tires from costco instead of tesla?

I prefer to give tesla the money but not if I have to pay 6x as much for my tires over time.

What does everybody else do?

Purchase of car was january 2018
Second set of tires purchased at 13k miles, part# 1234215-00-A which is labeled 235/45R18 98W A/S MICHELIN TIRE
Did a tire rotation after driving 6.5k miles, now just 3k miles later it feels like they are ripe for replacement again.

Not sure if this is the exact tire:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Premier+A/S&partnum=345HR8PREAS
but it says 6 years treadlife warranty / 60k miles.

Note I do drive taking full advantage of acceleration and cornering capabilities and like to find the edge, but never took it to the track or abused it in any other unusual way.

Tyres are a consumable. Unless there is an obvious fault or the wear pattern is unusual, what do you expect the warranty to cover?

What I read before is that people get a replacement of their tires in a prorated fashion, i.e. manufacturer advertises 60k mile tread life, and you wear it down in 10k then you pay 1/6th of what the new tire would cost to replace it with.

You should be getting MUCH more life out of those tires, unless you're driving in such a way that will get you pulled over. Are you following recommended tire inflation pressures? Are you seeing uneven ware on them? (half the tire wearing down really fast, inside or outside part of it, etc)

I will have to double check but as far as I could see there was nothing uneven about the wear. I do drive hard and would not expect a full 60k mile lifetime but just 10k is rather surprising to me, and I doubt I am the only one with that issue. Tire inflation is within range, hot it reports between 48 and 50psi.

My original tires are:

View attachment 431827

To be exact, note that it has the 2 characters "T0".

So the warranty pdf asks to print and fill out the ORIGINAL OWNER/TIRE INSTALLATION INFORMATION
(to be completed at the time of purchase) and sent it in. Does that mean that as long as I have receipts for my tire rotation done according to schedule, they would respond to the warranty claim even when bought through tesla?

Got 19K out of my original tires. That was with a lot of rotating, and AWD so I could take the rears down to where they had only a shadow of tread left. I drive vigourously, no doubt that cost me wear. Also my car had alignment issues at one point, which cost a lot of tread (but I spread it around with rotating) and I drove for about 12K at the factory 45 PSI until I realized that was way over-pressure for wear and was eating the center of the tires. Dropping to 40-42 PSI cold stopped that.

Because you've got RWD you'll need to really be on top of rotating even more-so.

My second set now has over 16K on them and they are nowhere near worn out. A big change is I switched to 18" PS4S on the Aero rims. Very little impact on range. Best guess is it cost me 3%, but uncertainty on that, my estimate is that it is somewhere between 0% and 6% for 95% confidence error bars because I haven't yet done very rigourous A-B testing.

Setting aside running 40-41 PSI cold most of the life of the tires (about 3,000 mi total have been at 45 PSI for range, for travel reasons) I suspect a big part of why these are lasting longer is their better grip is more up to my driving style, thus less subtle slipping to eat at the tires.

Tam

Nov 25, 2012
Visalia, CA
...and sent it in...

The way I understand it is:

Go to Michelin tire retailer. Present whatever paperwork necessary to prove it's within the warranty period and the retailer would honor Michilin's terms and only charge you non-covered items like mounting, balancing, alignment...

It's not that I need to send in to Michelin by mail the paperwork.

The issue is whether Tesla would identify itself as "Michelin tire retailer"?

Reactions: Bill Foster
I changed to Bridgestone PotenzaRE980AS on my 3 & S since I like them and they have a 50 k mile warrantly, but only if I rotate them every 5k miles or so. My previous set on my S was not warranted because I did not rotate them, even though they were worn evenly on the AWD. Now we rotate both and I expect to finally get a warranty. I don't think that I've gotten even 30 k miles on a set of tires on my Teslas. Sometimes 18k.

I changed to Bridgestone PotenzaRE980AS on my 3 & S since I like them and they have a 50 k mile warrantly, but only if I rotate them every 5k miles or so. My previous set on my S was not warranted because I did not rotate them, even though they were worn evenly on the AWD. Now we rotate both and I expect to finally get a warranty. I don't think that I've gotten even 30 k miles on a set of tires on my Teslas. Sometimes 18k.
I forgot to add: at Costco.

Tesla generally says they don't give any treadlife warranty on tires purchased through them. Is there a way to go to the actual tire manufacturer and ask for prorated replacements when the tread is low after just 10k miles?

Do I just need to buy my next set of tires from costco instead of tesla?

I prefer to give tesla the money but not if I have to pay 6x as much for my tires over time.

There is never a reason to buy your replacement tires from Tesla. They are not in the tire business. Companies like Costco and Discount Tire will give you free rotations, repairs, and warranty coverage. Even if Tesla offered to do those things who would want to wait in the lines for Tesla to get around to servicing your car? They are slammed trying to keep up with repairs and post delivery issues.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC