Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 and tire lifetime thread warranties

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a LR RWD with the stock Michelin MX4s and I've rotated at 9k and 18k.

I had alignment checked at 17k and everything was pretty well aligned but they did improve it.

I run 40-45psi and note quite a bit more wear on the outside of the tires. When I first got the car I drove it hard, but not so much anymore.
The tech at American Tire said they see a lot with outside tread wear. Under inflation common maybe?

I should be able to get to 25-30k on the stock tires and the American Tire tech said I'll need to contact Michelin to get my warrant honored.

There is never a reason to buy your replacement tires from Tesla. They are not in the tire business. Companies like Costco and Discount Tire will give you free rotations, repairs, and warranty coverage. Even if Tesla offered to do those things who would want to wait in the lines for Tesla to get around to servicing your car? They are slammed trying to keep up with repairs and post delivery issues.

I don't actually see them too slammed to do it the same day I bring it in. I ended up getting Michelin support to commit to sending me the check and bought the replacement tires directly from tesla and had them install and rebalance them. Just had to send a copy of my tesla invoice and they covered 97% of the materials part. They even said I could have switched to a different michelin tire, but I didnt want to overcomplicate things.

The journey was a bit more complicated: I researched it, found that I can register the dotcodes of my tires at Sites-michelin-us-Site even when very late in the lifetime of the tire, time of entry does not matter. I figured out that I was within the warranties rotation schedule and printed out the receipts. I then took it all to a local big o tires who said they would inspect it and I shouldnt have too high hopes, but they took a day of keeping my car and came back with that I am within compliance with wear evenness and alignment, but then started lying about the conditions and the way it works, and that I would only get $7 per tire discount. So I took their result printouts with me to tesla, had tesla call michelin support, which they initially were reluctant to do, but just to confirm that the big'o'tires printouts said what I claimed they said and that there was no doubt from their side. I then got them installed at full price from tesla, and michelin support said they will send me the check for 97% of the tesla invoice if I email them a copy and give them a few months to process, which should arrive any day now and be above $1k total.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vaillant