Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 and what it means for the value of the Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess the same logic would apply for why one would buy a used BMW 5 series rather than a new 3 series. It would likely relate to size, features and status. The difference in the fast-evolving EV world is that indeed the newer car, though lacking in size or status, could indeed beat the older one on features/capabilities.

Reactions: Ghosty
The Tesla Network should help keep prices high. Now if you are an Uber/Lyft driver now you keep about 50% of the fare and have to pay for gas. If you could buy a Model S with no gas cost and keep the majority (Say 75%) of a higher fare it would make sense. Even right now driving a Model S for ridesharing can make financial sense in some cases.

Would you pay and extra $1 or $2 to take a Tesla vs an Uber X?

That was exactly what I was thinking too... I mean if the Model 3 LR has a quoted range of 310 miles and my Model S only has a top range of 255 (fully charged, not taking into account the degradation of the battery in 3 years) I think I'm looking at a car that no one in their right mind will buy.
exactly. The 3lr-d will kill the used s market unless used s models depreciate below m3lr-d prices which may happen in the end. You may lose more the 50% in 2 yrs just because the m3lr-d is avail now- i mean its basically same tech...no actually newer tech then the 1-2-3 yr old model s really!! So who in their right mind that wants an ev, but not the ugly lame bmw/leaf/volt dorky looking cars, would buy a used model s over a new model 3 lr-d??? tell me who??? If the 3 was same price who???? if the 3 was actually less, who???? tell me....

• Disagree
Reactions: Ross9733
Can anyone confirm the material used for Model 3 body panels? If the Model 3 has steel body panels (lower cost) and a Model S has aluminium then material cost differences should be part of the value comparison. A steel car in the brine/salt of winter driving will depreciate very quickly.

I'm not expecting our Model S to sell for $8M like an aluminium bodied Ferrari but it should still look good long after the steel cars have rusted away.

I guess the same logic would apply for why one would buy a used BMW 5 series rather than a new 3 series. It would likely relate to size, features and status. The difference in the fast-evolving EV world is that indeed the newer car, though lacking in size or status, could indeed beat the older one on features/capabilities.

The issue with that argument is that a base 5 series doesn't cost 2x the price of a base 3 series. The issue with the Model S is it's perceived value relative to the Model 3. You do not get double the range, performance or even features.

Base 5 Series 51,200
Base 3 Series 34,900
Differences -16,300

Base Model S 69,500
Base Model 3 35,000
Differences -34,500

The issue with that argument is that a base 5 series doesn't cost 2x the price of a base 3 series. The issue with the Model S is it's perceived value relative to the Model 3. You do not get double the range, performance or even features.

Base 5 Series 51,200
Base 3 Series 34,900
Differences -16,300

Base Model S 69,500
Base Model 3 35,000
Differences -34,500
This is stupid. You can't compare base model 3 to an S. you are talking dual motor long range 3 which will be over 50k without PUP.