TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 annoying beeping sounds like 'morse code'

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by NOCO24U, Jan 29, 2018.

Tags:
?

Do you hear a high pitched morse-code sounding beep in your Model 3?

1. Yes

31 vote(s)
    60.8%
  2. No

20 vote(s)
    39.2%
  3. Yes, only when the lights are in ON, PARKING or AUTO

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. NOCO24U

NOCO24U Member

Hi,

I took delivery of my Model 3 (#4000-ish) last week and there are 2 things that really bother me about this car. One is the ridiculously loud blower fan, the other is I have an intermittent high pitch beeping, which sounds a lot like morse code, in the cabin. I can hear it driving at low speeds and of course when the car is sitting.

I noticed that the sound can be affected by the LED headlamps. If I sit in the car, and switch the headlamps from AUTO to OFF, the beeping stops for a bit, and then will eventually go back into its 'morse code' like pattern. If I switch the lights from OFF to PARKING, the intermittent beeping turns into a constant beeeeeeeeeeeep, which sounds a lot like tinnitus or ringing in the ears.

If I toggle between OFF and PARKING and OFF and PARKING, I can control the long beep. It sound a lot like a piezo buzzer. I'm guessing this has to do with the LED light drivers on the headlamps.

If I switch the lights into AUTO, or ON, the beep is still there, but it is masked a bit by the LED cooling fans on the lights. Putting the lights in PARKING keeps those fans off so you can isolate the beep.

I'm 33 years old, and have better than average hearing. My girlfriend can hear it, but my parents cannot.

Does anyone else have this issue?

2. DFibRL8R

DFibRL8R Active Member

Haven't heard that yet (blower is annoying however). My kid's young ears haven't picked anything up either.

3. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Active Member

Yup. Doesn’t sound like an intentonal beep from an audio source though, sounds like coil whine from something.

4. JonathanD

JonathanD Member

OP have others heard this in your car, or is it just you? You might be sensitive to a certain frequency.

5. NOCO24U

NOCO24U Member

my girlfriend and sister can hear it too.

6. Stoneymonster

I will say, to me, it's not particularly annoying and mostly covered by other ambient noises. I'm used to weird sounds from the Model S too :)

7. swaltner

swaltner Active Member

If you're on an iPhone, does SpectrumView on the App Store pickup the noise? I'm guessing there are similar apps for Android or Windows/macOS/Linux if you don't have an iPhone.

One of the nice things about getting older is losing my hearing sensitivity for high pitches. I no longer go bonkers listening to power supplies in TVs. :)

• Informative x 1
  8. NOCO24U

NOCO24U Member

ha! i will check out SpectrumView now, thanks for the suggestion.

9. ServerDude

ServerDude Member

Mine (#25xx) does this with an iphone4S when I make a call the very 1st time I make a call.
    No help yet from Tesla on it.

10. Stoneymonster

I think that’s different. That sounds like 2G network interference with the audio system.

• Like x 1
  11. NOCO24U

NOCO24U Member

here are the SpectrumView results, thanks to swaltner for the suggestion.

The "morse code beep" is at about 3625 Hz. One pic shows the spectrum peak as a snapshot in time. The other 2 show it with time as the x-axis (one is zoomed more than the other). You can see that it is intermittent.

Attached Files:

• Informative x 2
  12. Errantpixel

Errantpixel Member

Yup. Mine does this as well, even my > 40 ears can pick it up. Seems to be coming from the rear/right area, and somewhat related to throttle position, but not regen -- if that makes any sense. Turn off lights/hvac/etc and do some steady-state uphill driving at ~ 30mph, and it'll present readily.

Other comment about it being like a coil-whine feels right -- it has that 'bad ground loop electrical whine' quality.

• Informative x 2
  13. Big Dog

Big Dog Active Member

"et, phone home"?

14. NOCO24U

NOCO24U Member

how does one fix a "bad ground loop electrical whine"? where can we report this? i'm still awaiting a call back from the service center. any other channels to bring this to Tesla's attention?

15. Errantpixel

Errantpixel Member

I have an appointment (well, had, they canceled it overnight "per my request" that I never made) Wednesday at my local SC for a "Contact Tesla Service" alarm that came up after the recent firmware update -- was planning on bringing it up then.

16. NOCO24U

NOCO24U Member

ok, please let us know how it goes. feel free to use the spectrumview recordings i posted.

17. ntam

ntam Member

Have you tried rebooting the car?

18. J1mbo

J1mbo Active Member

I wonder if it's the audio amp picking up something that is badly earthed?

My MS makes a digital "chirping" noise which is very similar to an analog modem (could be described as "morse") when I press on the brake. It is very quiet, and I can only hear it at low speeds in my parking garage.

19. pdxgibby

pdxgibby Software Engineer

This is fascinating. My money is on a poorly grounded wire. Tesla will be able to identify and isolate this for sure.

• Like x 1
  20. NOCO24U

NOCO24U Member

oh good, there was about to be a Model 3 for sale in Chicago.

• Funny x 1