Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 annoying beeping sounds like 'morse code'

Do you hear a high pitched morse-code sounding beep in your Model 3?

• Yes

Votes: 35 63.6%
  • No

Votes: 20 36.4%
  • Yes, only when the lights are in ON, PARKING or AUTO

Votes: 4 7.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As to the blower noise, If you touch the fan icon at the bottom, of course, it will show you the fan speed, etc. I dialed it down to 1, then realized I had to turn off the "on/off" icon below it. The noise stopped. But that was "fan" noise, not "Morse Code" noise, which I can't hear.

As to the blower noise, If you touch the fan icon at the bottom, of course, it will show you the fan speed, etc. I dialed it down to 1, then realized I had to turn off the "on/off" icon below it. The noise stopped. But that was "fan" noise, not "Morse Code" noise, which I can't hear.
yeah, 'fan noise' can induce the 'morse code beep', but if you shut off the fan, then toggle the lights from 'auto' to 'parking' you can isolate the morse code beep pretty well (in my car). tesla is on it. im thankful the SC tech could hear it and recorded it with his equipment.

OK, you're messing with me, aren't you? I turned my sound all the way up. I hear nothing on your video. I'd better turn the sound down or it'll blast me later.
it really depends on your individual hearing. typically younger people can hear it. it drives my girlfriend and i nuts (both 33), my mom can hear it but it doesn't bother her, and my dad can't hear it at all (parents are in their 60s). it may also depend on your computer speakers. everyone is built differently so if you can't hear it, you're not missing out :)

@NOCO24U ---- So are you able to drive the car, considering your hearing sensitivity?

to be completely honest, no.

it's really distracting, and it aggravates my ears if that makes any sense. i am uncomfortable for a few hours after i drive the car and i worry about what it's actually doing to the fine structures of the ear. we're not meant to hear high pitched beeps like that since its such a pure tone (sharp peak in the spectrum).

that aggravation may just be unique to me though as i suffer from tinnitus in general, but this beeping only occurs in the model 3 and i have no issues driving other cars.

if they cannot solve this, i will ask them to buy back the car, or i'll take the beta-tester-loss and sell it.

on a side note, if they can't solve it, i can't imagine this car being successful with younger people that can hear the sound. every younger passenger i've had notices it and comments on it. when we got the Model S riders would comment on how fast and great it is. with the Model 3, people say "wow that's fast - but what's that beeping?"

Last edited:
i made an updated video that hopefully is more concise. it includes the sound recording, spectraview graph, and spectraview graph vs. time. i am super bummed because i was going to take the Model 3 to florida, but now i am flying. i don't want to hurt my ears anymore and i wonder if this issue is hurting the car in some way.

here's the new video:

If they all do it then it seems that we'd have more people complaining about it.

This is the risk you take of being an early adopter, Tesla should just buy the car back to you since you can demonstrate it does this and that it annoys you.

yeah, who knows how many actually do it, and how many people it actually bothers. i'm hoping they can resolve it. it isn't just me though, i've had 5 people in my car that commented on the annoying beep without me prompting them. that's not going to work well for Tesla if it is not unique to my car.

yeah, who knows how many actually do it, and how many people it actually bothers. i'm hoping they can resolve it. it isn't just me though, i've had 5 people in my car that commented on the annoying beep without me prompting them. that's not going to work well for Tesla if it is not unique to my car.
I almost can't hear it at all with earbuds, turned up to 100. And that's in my "good ear"--in the other I'm 100% deaf. I'm old, and have other problems, but I don't think this is going to be one of them. Have you tried music or white noise to mask the sound?

I hear it as well in my 3. However it does not bother me. I have an S. It also makes weird noises. Don't really know what to say. I can only hear it when I am parked in my super quiet garage while I am crawling around in the back looking under every nook and cranny of the car. I like to explore things I own. Just don't cut wires I am told.

Shielding on some component of the car?? I always thought the lights on the S made a strange noise or hum in general.

I hear it as well in my 3. However it does not bother me. I have an S. It also makes weird noises. Don't really know what to say. I can only hear it when I am parked in my super quiet garage while I am crawling around in the back looking under every nook and cranny of the car. I like to explore things I own. Just don't cut wires I am told.

Shielding on some component of the car?? I always thought the lights on the S made a strange noise or hum in general.

our S75 makes some strange noises too, so I was expecting that. the model 3 noises sound more like something is wrong.

I can hear it in the video. It is very faint but it is there.

It sounds like the same frequency as in this video:

A video on led inverter noise, where the maker of the video comments on how some people can hear certain inverters but others don't; it varies from person to person:

I think it comes down to the quality of the inverter used to drive the headlights. My guess is due to how difficult it is to actually pick up on the sound, techs (and maybe the factory) cannot pick up on the issue easily. They really should be using recording devices and doing spot checks to look for such issues and swap out the part if necessary. I am not 100% if they can be fully eliminated but they certainly can be reduced. After all I don't hear a buzzing noise coming from my notebook.

I can hear it in the video. It is very faint but it is there.

I think it comes down to the quality of the inverter used to drive the headlights. My guess is due to how difficult it is to actually pick up on the sound, techs (and maybe the factory) cannot pick up on the issue easily. They really should be using recording devices and doing spot checks to look for such issues and swap out the part if necessary. I am not 100% if they can be fully eliminated but they certainly can be reduced. After all I don't hear a buzzing noise coming from my notebook.

agreed. i built custom LED lights for my coral reef aquarium and i experimented a lot with the drivers to eliminate noise like this. if i could do that in my apartment, i would hope tesla engineers could do it better than me on a 56k car.

agreed. i built custom LED lights for my coral reef aquarium and i experimented a lot with the drivers to eliminate noise like this. if i could do that in my apartment, i would hope tesla engineers could do it better than me on a 56k car.

Can you pull the fuse for the headlights to test?

If you can do that and it proves it's on that circuit that gives Tesla something to focus on.

Reactions: NOCO24U
it really depends on your individual hearing. typically younger people can hear it. it drives my girlfriend and i nuts (both 33), my mom can hear it but it doesn't bother her, and my dad can't hear it at all (parents are in their 60s). it may also depend on your computer speakers. everyone is built differently so if you can't hear it, you're not missing out :)

I took the sound from the video, isolated that frequency, and turned it up quite a bit. Most anybody should be able to hear it now:

http://www.mistercatstudios.com/tm3noise.wav

• Helpful
Reactions: nvx1977 and pcpro