Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MODEL 3 - Anyone been asked or offered to configure yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't agree with you all here. Inventory needs to be in place on the production lines at least month in advance. I'd believe that employees have gotten an intranet site to use to configure their cars with a disclaimer-release this info lose your car and job and be sued.

Don't agree with you all here. Inventory needs to be in place on the production lines at least month in advance. I'd believe that employees have gotten an intranet site to use to configure their cars with a disclaimer-release this info lose your car and job and be sued.
Or, employees with reservations sign up for a car from a batch they want - this week, a batch of 50 black M3's, next week, a batch of white, etc, etc - lower reservation numbers get priority. When it's your own employees, it's not like real customers, you can gag them from filing any reviews (good or bad), you can get them to agree to special tracking software, you can get them to sign an agreement not to sell it on ebay the next day, etc. The car is not really in production until real customers get their hands on them without NDA's in place with Tesla that prevent them from showing others the car, publishing reviews, gripes, or putting the car on ebay if they so desire.

Reactions: Stirfelt
They don't need a production line for 30 cars.

Ask Bugatti. or Paganini, or Lamborghini or Porsche.

Yes correct, you don't get to configure until you get the invitation to configure.
But you won't have to wait until your request to configure.

The first person in this forum will so excited to say "I'm FIRST" ( for some reason) that we will know on day 1 ( hour #1) of the configurator going out to anyone.

All of the screens will be posted here somewhere.

I'm surprised no one has started the tread " Configurator Screens" or "Configurator Options" or "Anyone been asked or offered to configure yet". lol

Last edited:
Reactions: CUBldr97
But you won't have to wait until your request to configure.

The first person in this forum will so excited to say "I'm FIRST" ( for some reason) that we will know on day 1 ( hour #1) of the configurator going out to anyone.

All of the screens will be posted here somewhere.

I'm surprised no one has started the tread " Configurator Screens" or "Configurator Options" or "Anyone been asked or offered to configure yet". lol
Give it time.
We will start to see mock ups of what the configurator could look like - along with headlines on InsideEVs and Electrek that proclaim "Model 3 Configurator REVEALED"

• Funny
Reactions: SD_Engnr
You just have to look at your my tesla page for info.
You will be invited to configure based on the date of your reservation.
Doesn't that mean you don't get to configure until then?

At some point though they will have to contact those on the Left (West) coast and say "its your turn, but only if you want RWD" If you want AWD, click here, you will be notified at a later date and not loose your place n line for that option. or something like that.

At some point though they will have to contact those on the Left (West) coast and say "its your turn, but only if you want RWD" If you want AWD, click here, you will be notified at a later date and not loose your place n line for that option. or something like that.
at some point yes.
Didn't Elon suggest that other options would appear, but would not be available so you would have a (very) rough idea of when your config might be ready. Hopefully to balance the price/delivery/availability for yourself.

But you would want to "assemble, test, tune" your production line.
You don't want to hand build them - nothing to learn, waste of time.
IF....

IF...

And that's a big IF.

If I were Tesla - Yes.

I am not. I don't own an assembly line. I just want 1 of the 400,000. By hand or by line. Does not matter to me. That's my point. Building by hand is not a detriment to the customer. Its a great practice that works and is phenomenally cheaper, however it isn't faster than a line.

Now... Tesla should build them all on the line to test the line and build cars at the same time.

IF....

IF...

And that's a big IF.

If I were Tesla - Yes.

I am not. I don't own an assembly line. I just want 1 of the 400,000. By hand or by line. Does not matter to me. That's my point. Building by hand is not a detriment to the customer. Its a great practice that works and is phenomenally cheaper, however it isn't faster than a line.

Now... Tesla should build them all on the line to test the line and build cars at the same time.
indeed I'm just hoping that it gets much faster than that - I'm guessing that the line is running very slowly and one section at a time while each and every step is being closely inspected by humans.
Kind of like remotely hand built :D
All so it can run faster and faster each time.
The predicated speed for next month was still only 3 cars a day.