Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 AP Induced Crash?

Do you think this clip is taken while the car is on AP?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 26 100.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I came across this video today. As the title claims that this happened while the M3 is on AP.

So, how come the collision avoidance didn't engage? There are many videos showing M3 is perfectly capable to stop itself before impact. Was is because the speed was too low for that to engage? Or was it because the car simply couldn't see the car in front of it?

I think whether or the car is driving on AP, as a driver you should always monitor the situation as you are driving any other car. The driver in that clip probably had enough time to stop the car but choose not to (maybe due to shock?). Please keep your hands on the wheel while on AP.

Please keep your hands on the wheel while on AP.
Steering wouldn't be much of a solution here. :) Foot ready for braking on the other hand.....

I didn't see anything that would suggest to me that AP or TACC was completely in control of this. It could have been on but the driver accidentally had a foot an the accelerator, which will override AP/TACC preference for braking. While technically that'd be "AP on", that would be operator error in overriding it.

The distance changing between the Tesla and car in front at the start of the clip, and the lead-time / lag, strongly suggests AP was not engaged. It's usually faster to respond that this in braking, and slower to respond in acceleration.

So, no.

AP was not engaged in that clip. That seems like a classic case of not using AP and the driver not paying attention.

One thing that AP is quite good at is tracking moving cars in front of you. So, if AP had been engaged for awhile and was clearly tracking the moving car in front, then AP would have braked when the car in front braked.

Interesting… I remember this post and thought it was credible at the time. But he hasn’t been back since the end of April, and you guys make some good points about the car’s behavior. If it was on AP the simplest explanation was that his foot was lightly on the accelerator, which would prevent the car from braking.

Driver reported it here back in April. He fell asleep.

Accident while on EAP...

Reactions: SammichLover
If I remember reading correctly, driver had pedal pressed. Screen warns you it will not auto stop if you have pedal pressed. In this case, driver input overrides as it should just like driver steering or driver braking.

The only real answer is the driver was out of it.

Either on phone, asleep or pick any reason.

As long as you are the insured policy holder and not Tesla Inc, you maintain your space cushion at all times.

Tesla does a phenomenal job at managing spacing once it locks on to a car moving.

Very well infrequently did I feel it was not spacing to my satisfaction and I took over.

Never for any miles driven that I did not maintain sufficient distance so I can brake for sudden moves or if AP was not getting it done.

Personally I would have been too embarrassed to share that. Shows obviously senseless bone headed driving.

Let’s just slam into a car...

If AP WAS engaged, it should NOT have been in that driving situation...
?

I don't know if that specific ramp is tagged in the whitelist database, but that looks like NoAP territory there. Ramp in an exchange moving from limited access road to limited access road.

<edit> What reads to me as a "construction ahead" sign probably means the driver should be alert to the potential need to switch it of soon, though. I think I see at the very end a smidgen of that work on the shoulder coming up.

Last edited:
I believe Tesla's report and driver said that it was the driver's fault. AP was engaged but it was overruled by the driver pressing the acceleration pedal when he fell sleep. That would explain the increase of speed while taking the exit (for people that uses AP in a daily basis, they should know that AP decreases speed before and when taking exits).

Reactions: SammichLover
I believe Tesla's report and driver said that it was the driver's fault. AP was engaged but it was overruled by the driver pressing the acceleration pedal when he fell sleep. That would explain the increase of speed while taking the exit (for people that uses AP in a daily basis, they should know that AP decreases speed before and when taking exits).

Do you have a link to this?