Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 app tracking etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone. I’m booked in for a test drive today at 2pm then plant to order the Model 3 long range. Never even sat in one but desperately want one so I’m hoping it’s as good as I’m expecting ..::

I’m trying to find out how the car can be tracked via the app. If someone else downloads the app and adds it to their phone, can they see where I am in the car / where I’ve been etc... or can this function be turned off ?

Thanks. Chris.

Hi everyone. I’m booked in for a test drive today at 2pm then plant to order the Model 3 long range. Never even sat in one but desperately want one so I’m hoping it’s as good as I’m expecting ..::

I’m trying to find out how the car can be tracked via the app. If someone else downloads the app and adds it to their phone, can they see where I am in the car / where I’ve been etc... or can this function be turned off ?

Thanks. Chris.

If you grant someone else key access using the app, they can see the speed you are currently driving and the location that car is at. It does not track history. You can give someone a key card if you do not want them to have that information.

Get ready to pull the trigger faster than any purchase. I always tell people not to test drive until they are in a position to buy; you are doing it right.

I remember the guy who didn’t want his wife to find out where he was going...

Suffice it to say, if someone has the app and it is linked to the car, they know where the car is.
They need to either be added as a driver by the owner, or if they have the Tesla account user name and password they can add it.

You can see the current location of the car, but it does not show a history of where the car had been.

You can turn it off in the car, but it disables all mobile access (all the features in the phone app will entirely stop working).
See page 150 in manual, you can toggle the setting in:
Controls > Safety & Security > Mobile Access
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf

Goes without saying if you do so, you should have a backup method (like a key card or key fob) to open the car.

If you grant someone else key access using the app, they can see the speed you are currently driving and the location that car is at. It does not track history. You can give someone a key card if you do not want them to have that information.

Get ready to pull the trigger faster than any purchase. I always tell people not to test drive until they are in a position to buy; you are doing it right.
Thanks. The car was amazing I’ve ordered one today. Although they let me the drive the performance and I’m Getting the long range version ...

I remember the guy who didn’t want his wife to find out where he was going...

Suffice it to say, if someone has the app and it is linked to the car, they know where the car is.
They need to either be added as a driver by the owner, or if they have the Tesla account user name and password they can add it.

I read that thread. far too much chat and life advice rather than an answer to the question .... there were a few helpful posts

You can see the current location of the car, but it does not show a history of where the car had been.

You can turn it off in the car, but it disables all mobile access (all the features in the phone app will entirely stop working).
See page 150 in manual, you can toggle the setting in:
Controls > Safety & Security > Mobile Access
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf

Goes without saying if you do so, you should have a backup method (like a key card or key fob) to open the car.

Thank you

Thanks. The car was amazing I’ve ordered one today. Although they let me the drive the performance and I’m Getting the long range version ...

Most of your driving will be 35 mph+, and the LR/P is not noticeable once you get over those speeds. Launch from 0-60 is more of a parlor trick. Plus with the new $1000 decrease in the LR and $1000 increase in the P, I think you made the right decision.