Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 approaches Camry levels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That almost happened to me at the Sacramento Zoo. We walked back to the car with my grandaughter (who is 4). When I got to the car I slipped my card against the pillar. Nothing happened, so I tried it a few times. Then I started to panic! Then my granddaughter said "that's not your license plate!" About four cars away was another car same blue color same wheels. But I recognized it as ours from the kid's seat in the back. It took a 4 year old! LOL.

Maybe a racing stripe along the side, or a flat black front trunk lid?

• Funny
Reactions: EVNation
heh heh. There are 3 other blue model 3's in our area. We have been parked to close to one of them at least a couple times. A couple of them have aero covers on and the other two go without the covers. We put ours on in winter as it is easier to clean them than the rims. Now that we have our Aeros on for the winter its hard to get confused with the other blue Teslas. :)

50711223276_d82b9dae48_c.jpg

Gawd I love the new Aeros. Car looks great!

Reactions: Webeevdrivers
I have a similar story that takes it a step further. Many years ago I parked my green Chevrolet Impala with a green interior at a shopping center and went into a store. When I came out I saw what I though was my car. I stuck the key in the door and it unlocked. I stuck the other key in the ignition and was about to start the car and drive away when I noticed it wasnt my stuff on the seat. I looked around and got out of there real fast. I dint want to be arrested for car theft! Found my car two rows over. Both cars were the same year, same color combination and miraculously, same keys!

• Funny
Reactions: Spacep0d
I have a similar story that takes it a step further. Many years ago I parked my green Chevrolet Impala with a green interior at a shopping center and went into a store. When I came out I saw what I though was my car. I stuck the key in the door and it unlocked. I stuck the other key in the ignition and was about to start the car and drive away when I noticed it wasnt my stuff on the seat. I looked around and got out of there real fast. I dint want to be arrested for car theft! Found my car two rows over. Both cars were the same year, same color combination and miraculously, same keys!
I heard that GM only had 88 different keys across all lines back in the 60s

I did not want my new Model 3 to look like the others, so I ordered the front fascia and rear spoiler from Unplugged Performance. I prefer the new look of the front end vs. stock. And I really like the color matched rear spoiler vs. the Performance’s black spoiler. It’s also a little larger and wider, but not so much that it stands out. I also had Unplugged install their adjustable anti sway bars, which are thicker than the Performance’s bars. I set the front to 3 (firmest) and the rear to 2 (medium). This eliminated virtually all body roll, and changed the handling from a mild under steer to completely neutral. Very little change in suspension stiffness, so I did not lose any comfort.

Attachments

• DCA3BA8F-CA0F-49F2-8A26-200629EF1830.jpeg
    DCA3BA8F-CA0F-49F2-8A26-200629EF1830.jpeg
    784.9 KB · Views: 113
  • FF500C30-C489-43DF-8BB4-BCE782BA50F6.jpeg
    FF500C30-C489-43DF-8BB4-BCE782BA50F6.jpeg
    920.7 KB · Views: 84
I once went out to a parking lot of a customer I had just visited and got in "my" white Model 3. As soon as I sat down, I knew something was wrong when the seat position was completely different - turned out it was not mine.

Since it was a warm day, I had turned the AC on in my car ahead of time and that makes the walkup unlock work without a hitch (I use my phone exclusively to unlock, though I do carry my keycard in why wallet).

So I don't know if the other car was unlocked or somehow my phone was able to unlock it. I'm sure it was the former, but I have always wondered.

Yeah but I'd be hard pressed to think of a more boring car than a Camry. Tesla can improve blind spot monitoring.

3 or 4 cars ago, I had a Lexus ES-350, which is basically a spruced up Camry. At first, I was drawn to the beautiful interior and Lexus's reputation for reliability. But I quickly discovered how incredibly boring that car was to drive. 2 months into ownership, I started fantasizing about my next car.

You only live once. If you are a car guy or gal, drive a car that excites and thrills you.

Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
Off topic slightly but another good not the right car story...

A friend was doing merchandising about 8 years ago and was getting help from a couple other friends (not employees) and he needed to run and go get more things from the warehouse which was only a couple miles away. He didn't have a car he could take, a trailer was tied to it and couldn't move it easily so borrowed the friends keys and car instead, a small purple Saturn. He went to the parking garage, found it, saw it was messy inside but figured this is no time to judge this friend, unlocked with the key, sat down and couldn't get the vehicle to start. After just 10-20 seconds a woman walks up with pepper spray ready to go. He put his hands up and said 'whoa this isn't what you think it is', he of course noticed wrong car and that's why it wouldn't start. Luckily didn't get hit with pepper spray and found the right car somewhere else in the garage. Different keys can open the doors to the cars but then not start the car.

Back to Tesla's being too similar - I agree, but I at least did get winter tires put on the stock wheels with aero covers on my Model Y, and I will get new wheels in March next year for the '3 season' tires. At least that will put just a little differentiation on my car.

It may seem that way to us since we're always on the look out for other Teslas on the road, but in the grand scale of things, all Model 3's sold till date probably doesn't even equate to one trim of any recent generation of Toyota Camry sold. Maybe one day...

Agreed, but I think they are getting close to BMW/Audi in the PNW. (I used to really respect BMW (back when the cars were designed for drivers), but they show all the signs of becoming a dying breed unless they can get a decent EV fast.)

It's getting ridiculous in Silicon Valley. Not uncommon to stop at an intersection and be surrounded by 4 or 5 other Teslas...

While it can be sad to lose the feeling of exclusivity, from the broader standpoint of EVs as a whole this has to be good. If I was a BMW or Audi dealer I'd be fuming at corporate for having no EV offering.