Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 as a high mileage commuter car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in NJ as well. You will love autopilot! Like others have said it takes all the stress out of bumper to bumper traffic. As for the solar that is what we did, so we will be paying $47.00 per month in "fuel" costs after it is installed. I've had my Model 3 Stealth since December '19 and it's the best car I've ever driven. I don't even like driving my wifes "SS" any more.

What % of that driving is on highways? I'm asking because my daily commute is about 40 miles round trip. Once I got the Model 3, I decided to take the slightly longer version of that commute since it allows me to use AP on the middle section (longest part of my drive both by distance and time). The benefit of being able to use AP on highways, to me, is an amazing benefit. I arrive at work less stressed and the traffic and neverending construction on I95 is now a big "meh" to me.
You can use the AP on any roads. It works fine on local roads. It just doesn't stop for lights or signs yet.

I drive 60-80 miles per day on average, and I came from a 2014 Prius - my running cost for that car from new purchase to time of sale, including fuel and all maintenance (tires, oil changes I did myself) was $0.07 per mile. At this time, my Model 3 (using Georgia Power Tier 3 rates of $0.12/kWh ($0.09 + taxes/fees/etc)) is costing between $0.03 - $0.04 per mile - keep in mind this is just electricity cost since I've only had the car 6 months / 11,000 miles. Approximately half of the Prius cost, but that number is bound to rise once I have to purchase tires.

I am a believer of the Prius - this car is the cheapest hybrid to operate, and the base price of $25,500 is hard to beat (I purchased mine for $21,500 + tax/tag/title). Overall 5year cost of ownership (excluding depreciation), a base model Prius has a Model 3 SR+ beat by a long shot due to the higher up-front cost of the SR+. The roughly $14,000 base price difference between the two cars will have you driving the Prius an equivalent of 200,000 miles. If you priced the top trim Prius ($34,400) VS a Model 3 SR+ ($39,990), you reduce the mileage the Prius will have you driving to around 80,000 miles.

But this is not a fair comparison. A Model 3 SR+ with basic Autopilot has so much more to offer in terms of creature comforts, tech, and performance - even compared to a top trim Prius. If you haven't experienced even basic Autopilot in long interstate drives, it is a priceless, game-changing experience.

If you're wanting the cheapest possible TCO - a base model Prius is your best bet in my opinion instead of a Model 3.

If you're considering a luxury sedan (BMW 3-series, Audi A4, Mercedes C-class) - the Model 3 is a no brainer with base/mid trim luxury sedans in the $40,000 - 50,000 price range.

Compared to a CPO Camry Hybrid, you'll probably come out ahead since a CPO car has already taken a depreciation hit. The car would have to be in the low to mid $30k range to start coming out even @ 200,000 miles of driving for both cars.
Our Prius Prime has 18k miles on it and the mpg ticker says 130mpg. That car goes over 50 miles in a day maybe one time a month though and it gets a solid 25 miles on electric alone. The Tesla has 2.5x as many miles and we have had it half as long. Like you said, the autopilot is huge.

More and more companies are coming out with lane keep stuff that resembles autopilot 1 Tesla cars. Although it isn't as comprehensive as the autopilot in my Model 3, It would certainly put a dent in the fatigue factor involved with long drives.

Yes, but it requires little to no intervention on highways. That's how it reduces the stress of my daily commute.

I frankly don't typically use AP on secondary roads for the most part.
Agree 100%.

Where AP particularly helps me is during traffic jams when returning home. I usually hit a 30 min jam on southbound Hwy 288 (in Houston). I get in the left lane and can surf the internet. It makes time fly. l almost look forward to it.

AP in backed up highway traffic is a dream.

What % of that driving is on highways? I'm asking because my daily commute is about 40 miles round trip. Once I got the Model 3, I decided to take the slightly longer version of that commute since it allows me to use AP on the middle section (longest part of my drive both by distance and time). The benefit of being able to use AP on highways, to me, is an amazing benefit. I arrive at work less stressed and the traffic and neverending construction on I95 is now a big "meh" to me.

probably 60-70 percent city.

I think that, based upon my job, I can charge at level two chargers all over town. There are also lots of level one chargers, and while I know they’re not as efficient, they are very very common here in Sarasota.
Just because you have L1 and L2 charging stations available doesn’t mean you’ll want to use any of them. You will most likely want an L2 charger at home to charge the car overnight for the next day’s travel. Stopping mid-day at an L2 charger for all but emergencies will be a time-consuming process taking you off your route. Also, I would think L1 daytime charging to be a non-starter in your case, and probably everyone else’s too.

I’m a liquor rep. I typically park the car and walk to bars and restaurants all day. I can literally leave a car charging while going between accounts. I assume it’ll be 2-3 hours on chargers a day. My assumption is that will offset the majority of the days drive. Am I mistaken in that?

Reactions: Big Earl
One thing to factor in is that the Model 3 will get much better MPGe in city driving than in highway. Basically the inverse of a gas engine. Most of our city roads are 45-50 mph and I’m consistently getting 120% driving efficiency even while enjoying being first off the lights (we have a sleeper model so it almost feels insulting to have a high efficiency). That gives me up to 380 miles per charge vs the expected 320 miles. And of course doing 80 mph or more on freeway driving drops you below that 320 mile range as well.

We bought our Model 3 just to get away from the almost daily stresses of dealing with a 2008 BMW X5 check engine lights, water pump failures, vanos hell, rough idle issues, radiator leaks, etc...basically every common problem you could have with the vehicle...and pretty much every repair being a multiple of $1000. Well, all that and about 1 minute into the Tesla test drive and we were sold anyway .

It’s hard to explain, but it just feels satisfying and effortless to drive the Tesla. I’ve owned a lot of fun cars (bmw m3, jaguar xk8, Miata, 300M) and driven them all as daily commuters, but in the end none matched the feeling you get thinking about taking the Tesla for a drive...sigh...it’s 2:25 am and I just had the urge to take a Redbox movie back...

Reactions: Nocturnal and HighZ
Due to the Model 3 having a really good safety rating, you are one accident away from possibly saving a fortune in medical bills. Some things in life are more important than dollars....believe it or not.

Reactions: IdaX
Due to the Model 3 having a really good safety rating, you are one accident away from possibly saving a fortune in medical bills. Some things in life are more important than dollars....believe it or not.

Case in point. I was actually driving our Tesla through this intersection a week before a Tesla got sliced in half by a GTR youtuber traveling at an incredibly fast speed (note the distance the gtr traveled after the hit...mostly in the median based on other footage), drivers both walked away. If the Tesla hadn’t been designed to crumple and tear apart (and wasn’t so hard to flip over) both cars would likely have experienced massive and likely fatal g forces. If I recall, the Tesla touch screen was still running in this video.

you are one accident away from possibly saving a fortune in medical bills.

Unfortunately, you are also one accident away from realizing how long it takes to repair a Tesla. I have become a safer driver also because I dread getting into any kind of an accident. I have had two 'minor' scrapes that cost me a lot out of my pocket but thankfully did not require any major bodywork. I am a bit apprehensive now as I watch other drivers and as I drive down roads where a deer could pop out. I didn't anticipate I would feel that way compared to other cars I have owned that, you know, were just cars.

Unfortunately, you are also one accident away from realizing how long it takes to repair a Tesla. I have become a safer driver also because I dread getting into any kind of an accident. I have had two 'minor' scrapes that cost me a lot out of my pocket but thankfully did not require any major bodywork. I am a bit apprehensive now as I watch other drivers and as I drive down roads where a deer could pop out. I didn't anticipate I would feel that way compared to other cars I have owned that, you know, were just cars.

I’m a bit more concerned about the time it takes to repair my body or loved ones vs a car that is replaceable. I am more cautious at driving my Tesla and parking it because it’s more expensive than any other vehicle I have owned. But I’m still glad I own one.

Agree 100%.

Where AP particularly helps me is during traffic jams when returning home. I usually hit a 30 min jam on southbound Hwy 288 (in Houston). I get in the left lane and can surf the internet. It makes time fly. l almost look forward to it.

AP in backed up highway traffic is a dream.
It decreases stress so much.

Reactions: emailrob
I’m a liquor rep. I typically park the car and walk to bars and restaurants all day. I can literally leave a car charging while going between accounts. I assume it’ll be 2-3 hours on chargers a day. My assumption is that will offset the majority of the days drive. Am I mistaken in that?

You can certainly plug in to charge if there is a charging location convenient to where you are going.

In an earlier post you said 80-100 miles per day. That is well within the range of a LR AWD Model 3 even assuming you'd set the charge limit to 80%, enable cabin overheat protection, and turn on the A/C a few minutes before you return to your car. Do you have the ability to charge at home at the end of each day?

I’m a bit more concerned about the time it takes to repair my body or loved ones vs a car that is replaceable. I am more cautious at driving my Tesla and parking it because it’s more expensive than any other vehicle I have owned. But I’m still glad I own one.

Absolutely, and safety goes into the long Pro's column of owning a Tesla. I just didn't anticipate how much more protective I am of my M3 ensuring that it is not molested in any way, like you making sure that it is not going to get dinged in a parking lot.

And like you, I wouldn't want to drive any other car.