TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 assembly line(s)

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Swampgator, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Swampgator

Swampgator Active Member

Anyone know if Model 3 has 1 or 2 parallel production lines?

Has anyone seen it in person? I know NDA prevents you from directly commenting but maybe someone else overheard a Tesla employee?
    Reason I ask is because the Bloomberg story out this week said that Doug Fields mentioned in an email something like "we are already producing 200 cars a day on each line"

So, theoretically Tesla could now be at 2800 cars per week. That would explain why he said an increase to 300 per day would blow all of the haters away. If there is only 1 line then 300 a day still falls short of their 2500/week goal.

John

• Funny x 1
  2. eSpiritIV

eSpiritIV Member

They said in Q4 earnings call theyhad one line going and the second line being installed this quarter being flown over from Germany. They said they could reach their goal on the first line so the second line is to get them up to 5k/wk and more. They also shut down the S and X line to get workers to pump our more on the 3 line this quarter so we should see a huge uptick

3. vigge50

vigge50 Member

That's production lines in the Gigafactory, for what I know there is no information that Tesla have to production lines for Model 3 production or that they plans to have two. I believe that they have one and is trying to make it run as fast as possible.

• Like x 1
  4. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

That's my understanding as well. The Grohmann stuff was for the _battery_ line, which was a significant hold-up. If they've (half-)solved that problem attention will again move to ramping Fremont.

5. Swampgator

Swampgator Active Member

So nobody has this answer?

6. erthquake

erthquake Active Member

It's possible the email was referring to individual shifts as lines. Fremont only has one production line for the 3. A second one will be installed sometime after they reach a rate of 5k-7k per week.

7. BioSehnsucht

BioSehnsucht Model 3 LR

If "lines" mean "shifts", aren't there 4 shifts? The math would be too optimistic. At least, I've read elsewhere that they may be operating 12 hour shifts in 3 on, 4 off / 4 on, 3 off patterns, so you have front half and back half of the week shifts x night and day shifts = 4. Or would this still be called two shifts, even though there's two sets of people (front half / back half) for each shift then?

8. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Banned

#8 Garlan Garner, Mar 31, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    They have at least have one line. That's a fact.