Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 at Tsawwassen Supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Enjoyed a Saturday trip across the Lower Mainland to check out the supercharger in Tsawwassen, low and behold, a blue Model 3 at the charger! It had a Washington temp decal on the window, nice and new. I have not had a chance to see the inside up close at the showroom.
First impression, looks like somebody took a heat gun to a model S front and rear, condensing the car. The cabin area looks similar in size to the model S. I will keep my Model S...
IMG_20180310_140440.jpg

Yes, yes, oh yes. But those aero wheels... hmmm.... unfortunately they look the worst with blue.
yes, they're haggard

at this level of range they really aren't necessary. The car will comfortably do 400 kms a 'tank'. Unless you live in Montana, range is not an issue with so many superchargers popping up everywhere. I can't see myself making my $80,000 car look like that for the sake of an extra 20 kms of range every full charge. Here's the math:

If I drive it 20,000/year for 5 years that's 100,000 kms. If I saved 5% on energy with ugly wheels, I'd save 5000 kms of charging. So that's an extra 12.5 full charges. The long range battery is about 71kwh of usable energy to 71 x 12.5 = 106.5 extra kwh of charging.

At an average price of say 15 cents per kwh that's $133 saved...by making your car look ugly for 5 years. No thanks.

Even if it results in 20% savings that's $535 for 5 years. Again...no thanks.

These numbers assume zero free charging also.

Might buy the car with the sport wheels, and then a set of these for the winter.
Winter range is required. You guys live in the land of milk and honey and SuperChargers every 20 km. Out west, we only have a SC every ~150km or so, and only on primary routes.

• Funny
Reactions: TLej
Need to confirm again because of these comments, but with the base wheels, you can take the aero covers off and have the decent looking 18" wheels underneath instead, correct?
Yes. You can also add the center wheel caps and lug nut caps to make it look nicer.
Capture.JPG

Note: That currently shows as out of stock but you can still buy the individual parts for slightly more.

• Informative
Reactions: jkirkwood001
Coincidentally I just saw a black Model 3, also with WA state plates, driving past English Bay in downtown Vancouver on the same Saturday. First one I’ve spotted in the wild...

I wasn’t quick enough to snap a photo, but noticed it had the aero wheels (those wheels aren’t on the M3 I saw in the local Tesla store). When I pointed out the car to my wife, who has little interest in cars, she immediately noticed the wheels and commented how ugly they are

• Funny
Reactions: MarcoRP and doubeld
yes, they're haggard

at this level of range they really aren't necessary. The car will comfortably do 400 kms a 'tank'. Unless you live in Montana, range is not an issue with so many superchargers popping up everywhere. I can't see myself making my $80,000 car look like that for the sake of an extra 20 kms of range every full charge. Here's the math:
*ahem* Eastern Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Western (or is that Northern?) Ontario, the Maritimes...

Sheesh. Ontarioans. Think what's true for them is true for the rest of Canada.

*ahem* Eastern Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Western (or is that Northern?) Ontario, the Maritimes...

Sheesh. Ontarioans. Think what's true for them is true for the rest of Canada.
I could also say 'sheesh...the guys who make up 10% of the canadian section want us to cater our responses to them' :)

we were in your boat a few short years ago. Now look.

in any event...you going to rock those wheels if you buy a model 3? Bet you won't.

There MUST be a way for someone to paint those things to fake a nicer looking wheel! Might be a lucrative little sideline? Even if they were transparent one might be able to see the nice rims underneath?

Here was my photoshop attempt to turn the dark section of the aero caps into silver highlights. Having seen them in person now several times (I have 2 friends with Model 3's), it doesn't seem like it would be easy to paint them quickly.

Attachments

• Blue with silver aero spokes.jpg
    Blue with silver aero spokes.jpg
    982.9 KB · Views: 64
I fail to see the excitement level for this car. Yawn!

You've got to be kidding me!! A car that looks at least 80% as good as the Model S or X, at least 80% of the dimensions, 80% of the performance, 20%+ better efficiency for roughly 50% of the cost, and you can't see the excitement level?! I don't know whether to be aghast, insulted or concerned for your mental well being. I can not think of an analogy about how big this step change is for Tesla, as well as the whole EV world because something like this is a ridiculous leap forward.

You've got to be kidding me!! A car that looks at least 80% as good as the Model S or X, at least 80% of the dimensions, 80% of the performance, 20%+ better efficiency for roughly 50% of the cost, and you can't see the excitement level?! I don't know whether to be aghast, insulted or concerned for your mental well being. I can not think of an analogy about how big this step change is for Tesla, as well as the whole EV world because something like this is a ridiculous leap forward.

He owns P75D, of course not excited about Model3.

Here was my photoshop attempt to turn the dark section of the aero caps into silver highlights. Having seen them in person now several times (I have 2 friends with Model 3's), it doesn't seem like it would be easy to paint them quickly.
To be honest, it looks uglier than the other ones IMO.

• Helpful
Reactions: Phillip L
Mr. Plugshare disagrees with everything everybody says! No need to feel aghast. I just shared my thoughts on this car. Don't take it personally. Everyone is entitled to my opinion. As I also stated, it's a great car for some but not for others. Just because you think it is the greatest thing since sliced bread, doesn't mean it is. Congrats to anyone who is buying this as a first EV car! I already have a Model S so perhaps my view is different from many. I'm happy with my car is what I'm trying to say.